June Lake Loop Trail

June Lake Loop Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near June Lake, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

did the loop today it was a great hike, uphill wasn't that bad, was harder walking down the road back.

This trail was steep and challenging the first two miles however the view made up for it. It was very rewarding! Once you reach the ski resort, the trail gets lost and it’s difficult to stay on track. I recommend using the app to guide you. My bf and I had to follow other trails that were more manageable and connected to the main trail eventually. Overall, I recommend this hike :-)
Tip:
Wear good hiking shoes ( I wore my favorite hiking sandals but it began to rain and my feet got muddy)

Saturday, June 17, 2017

I would only recommend this trail as an out and back, and only if you are looking for a good workout in the first 2 miles of elevation climb. My suggestion would be to turn around once you hit the ski resort. The trail is not marked at all after this so unless you have the GPS loaded with the map, you will either take an unshaded dirt road all the way back, or find yourself on federal land. The actual trail back, should you find it, is in poor condition with the remaining section leaving you walking on the shoulder of the road. The first 2 miles do offer nice views of the lake and shaded forest, and like I said it was a great workout for the first 1200 feet or so of straight up elevation climb with only a few switchbacks along the way.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Great views, the quintessential June Lake experience. Loved the change in landscape we got with the changes in elevation. There's a little bit of everything from desert sagebrush to evergreens and aspen grooves. There were some snow patches and seasonal streams and temporary lakes made of snowmelt. Paused the recorder a few times to take it all in and forgot to unpause so my recording is a bit spotty. We ended at the closed ski resort and then took the service road back down. Did not see another soul until we got to town. Walked back to our car through town with a pit stop at June Lake Brewing. Great hike to see all this area has to offer!

Monday, May 22, 2017

Trail and parking starts out across the street from the fire station. Steep start but levels out. The trail was still a bit snowy as it was a record snowfall season. Once we made it to the ski resort it was too snowy to continue to the Yost Creek Trail so we took the dirt road down until we hit the cutback trail into town, this was all dry. To top off the afternoon we had O'Hana's Food Truck and June Lake Brewing! :)

Sunday, August 13, 2017