Juaquapin Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Descanso, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 810 feet Route Type: Loop

A decent hike. I would rate it more on the high-moderate hike rating, due to the overgrown trail toward the summit. definitely wear long pants! plenty of bees, though they do not bother if you don't. Best to take the East Loop and stop short after the rocky summit when the bushes thicken and the trail begins to fade.

Mon Jan 28 2019

So after a month brake from hiking decided to go out in nature. 15 minutes and less than a mile into this hike we came across a mountain lion on the trail. He quickly ran away from us and into the brush. My husband and I didn’t want to be a meal today so we turned back and kept an eye behind us. There was plenty of people around and people on horseback. My first encounter with wildlife like this so I was scared. Thinking of doing a through hike of the PCT in 2020 or 2021 so I know we need to overcome this fear, stay calm and keep moving.

Sun Mar 12 2017

An ok hike on a nice day. We were hoping to see some wildflowers, but no dice. We went the north way round, the first half was nice and shaded, running along a stream and through some foliage. Once up to Dyar Spring, the trail was marshy and soggy with a few wet crossings. The way down was less scenic and more in keeping with the normal San Diego landscape. Overall, a pretty good hike, but no wildflowers to be seen. Relatively flat and easy loop.

Fri Oct 28 2016

Nice easy trail.

Sat Jan 02 2016

Wonderful trail. Easy, varied terrain, and we saw two bobcats!

Fri Apr 19 2019