Learn more

Jones Bar and West Trail Loop is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nevada City, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Length 3.6 mi Elevation gain 544 ft Route type Loop

Photos (353)
Recordings (25)
Completed (248)
Sean ].
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

Well maintained! Shady and perfect.

View Sean's Recording
Mama Dom
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 17, 2020
Hiking

Pretty awesome hike. Easy walk unless it is 95 and humid outside. Pack plenty of water since there is none.

View Mama's Recording
Jessica Bonham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 20, 2020
HikingRocky

It was a nice moderate hike. Independence Trail is a very easy walk with some cool things to see. The rest of the loop is mostly on a dirt road that leads down to the river. It was pretty but the creeks were dry, so it would probably be better in winter or early spring. Lots of poison oak.

View Jessica's Recording
Kim Hough
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 12, 2020
Hiking

Took Jones Bar back up to the car from Independence trail. I’ve been working on getting in shape and man it was steep going uphill but I did it! Some areas have no shade and I encountered a snake by the river

Meshelle Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 31, 2020

didnt do the west loop, went to right on independence trail and came up from Jones bar trail. independence trail is definitely easy, stroller/kid friendly. but the jones bar trail on east side is not stroller friendly. steep towards end and lots of rocks. no recommended for children under 8

Monica Arcino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 26, 2020
HikingRocky

Hey y’all!! This was super easy....well for us, although it’s very steep, we enjoyed it. I compare it to the stair master. I know you can drive down to there but since we aren’t locals I don’t have that info. We began on Independence Trail West and made a right on “Jones Bar”. It’s .4 miles NOT 4 miles.

Alicia Russell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 22, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail! Definitely take the Jones gap way first! And there is also a LOT of poison oak everywhere, FYI overall 10/10 would do again

Sarah Schwartz Majewski Vega
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 1, 2020

Great easy hike.

View Sarah's Recording
Judy Houle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 29, 2020
RockyScramble

i made the mistake of starting from the Jones Bar side which is very steep. Next time I'll start from the Independence Trail end. Do not attempt to go down Jones Bar Rd. all the way to the river if you don't have 4WD. It's a very rutted, rocky and gnarly road. You'll never make it back up without high clearance and 4WD.

Hillary Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 25, 2020
HikingNo shadeOver grown

Ym

View Hillary's Recording
Kristi Ringland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 11, 2020
View Kristi's Recording
Emily Porter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 25, 2020
View Emily's Recording
Whitney H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 18, 2019
Hiking

Great hike. I recommend taking Jones Bar down 1st. It's very steep, but goes right down to the river. The road back to independence trail isn't to bad, as it is a fire road and it's a slow climb in elevation. Was shaded the majority of the hike and we were on the trail around 2 in the afternoon.

Desirai Jang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 11, 2019
HikingBugsRockyScramble

We had taken the independence trail west down to Jones Bar and it had taken us to the river, once you get to the river it’s beautiful! We didn’t take Jones Bar down we took it back up and BOY was that a mission! LOL it was very steep, we had asked about Jones Bar to a hiker who had done it and he was not lying that it was a fish ladder. It definitely challenges you and your body (well to me it did) the incline was high, definitely not something for children but it cut the time way in half by not taking independence trail west back to the car. It was a good sweat to the top! But down by the river hanging out at the rocks and the water was amazing

Ryan Cain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 30, 2019
HikingRocky

I tried to do this trail with my son in a stroller, we failed. The trail was easy to find, but was not at all stroller friendly. There were broken down vehicles blocking the trail. Also a lot of poison oak, good thing my son is not allergic, but I am. Haha we ended up turning back after a .1 mile and just doing the independence trail that day.

Chantell Hodge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 28, 2019
HikingBugs

Not super clearly marked if you are coming from the independence trail. But so beautiful. I would more call this a road. And I will say the mosquitos are basically gigantic. But the view is beautiful. And if you know were to look the wild succulents are beautiful as well.

Colleen Davenport
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 17, 2019
Hiking

The Jones Bar portion of the trail is mostly a fire road, with great views. The trail is not well marked though. The Independence portion of the trail is gorgeous! I’ll be back!

Peter Hollingshead
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 3, 2018

Great hike in the fall. The only strenuous part is coming up the hill from Jones Bar. The independence part of the trail is very easy and pretty.

Robert Copp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 15, 2018
Hiking

Epic short hike. Best part is the swimming hole at the bottom. Just remember it can be very hot here in the summer. We filmed the swimming hole and you can find it on my Youtube channel Chris and Bobs adventure channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udowQ5aASpQ&t=14s

S C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2018
Hiking

Great trail. As a previous review suggested, we went down the Jones Bar and back up the Independence Trail. I would recommend this direction as well.

Francesca Holcomb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 26, 2018
Hiking

This trail is such great and scenic. It is not strenuous or difficult. I have gone a few times now and those with whom I have trailed range in age from 13 to 45 and one was 5 months pregnant. We took our dogs, on leashes, and enjoyed a great walk. other visitors we passed were all friendly and leashed their dogs as well. The trail is clean and the bridges are well maintained. The one bridge down to the water (approx a 30 minite walk in) looks like it is in the process of being surveyed for repairs and we're looking forward to visiting once it is secured to go down to the water. There are 2 toilets at the beginning of the hike. parking is easy, provided people are courteous and park perpendicular to hwy 48 rather than paralell. Take water and snacks and a camera!

Julie Vang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 17, 2018

Lovely hike with nice views! Almost all in the shade. Easier to take Jones Bar Trail down then come back on Independence Trail. Also, this is a pretty easy trail; I wouldn’t say it’s moderate.

Marsha Deutsch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 12, 2018

Awesome trail!

Rita Cital
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 26, 2018

Fantastic trail. Worth the little hike down to the River.

April Cadran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 22, 2017
Hiking

Stunning view! Make sure you take the time to walk to the water. The water was a clear green and it was beautiful. The boards in the bridges and walkways are getting replaced. I can’t wait to come back in the spring to see all the waterfalls.

Scott O'Neill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 4, 2017

Excellent workout. keep an eye on the map. You don't wanna miss a turn. Bridge is slippery when wet. 1.5 to 2 hour hike.