Jones Bar and West Trail Loop

Jones Bar and West Trail Loop is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nevada City, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

wheelchair friendly

During the warmer weather this is not a dog friendly spot and the hiking is harder than moderate. There is a lot of downhill rocky parts and than all up hill. Better for during the fall time and its very hard to get down to the water if you need to cool off.

good hike!!! we went down to river first and then up the road to trail. no a hard hike but we went later morning and had lots of sun!! plenty of poison oak but easily avoid able. Bring plenty of water for yourself and for your dog, after the river no water for dogs. Not many people until we got to the water falls, then we ran into many people walking up to see falls.

We did this today with our 15.13.and 11 year old. It was a fun hike and not too much poison oak until the end. We went down to Jones Bar and swam and ate....water wasn't too cold either. Then we hiked the .4 mile uphill and it was a workout. My two boys ran up it. It was really tough for my husband and me, but I would do it again.

Loved the bridges! They added a little something different. Typical California foothills dry area- at least in summer- lots of oak trees and poison oak on the sides. I was a little worried about finding the proper trail head after the swim hole, but it was pretty basic and marked after the bridge. Be prepared the final bit is nearly 1/2 mile up a steep incline. It's like having a personal trainer yell at you to push yourself when you're already tired if you're not used to hiking. I plan to bring more friends next time and hang out at the water longer. It's a lovely finish to the hike.

Has nice water falls, we went to the wrong trail head first that didn't have a sign, then found the one that says independence trail head. We did the whole Jones bar loop, not too hard just long. Took about 4 hours with stopping by the water for lunch.

Took me about 5 hours to complete the whole trail with a 6 year old and a 9 year old that was determined not to give up until they saw the water. It was muddy in some areas I do recommend boots. and bring mosquito repellent. plenty of nice places to stop and have a snack or lunch. lots of lizards and butterflies. ***beware, tons poison oak*** stay on the trails with the kids.

Could not find the trail head. Did independence east instead. Later discovered if I would have taken the west trail I would have merged with Jones bar. Why are the maps at the trail head so crappy?

amazing hike and views... parts are submerged in water but if you don't mind getting wet...just be careful where you step..numerous salamanders on this hike.