Jones Bar and West Trail Loop

Jones Bar and West Trail Loop is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nevada City, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

wheelchair friendly

Lovely hike with nice views! Almost all in the shade. Easier to take Jones Bar Trail down then come back on Independence Trail. Also, this is a pretty easy trail; I wouldn’t say it’s moderate.

Awesome trail!

Fantastic trail. Worth the little hike down to the River.

Stunning view! Make sure you take the time to walk to the water. The water was a clear green and it was beautiful. The boards in the bridges and walkways are getting replaced. I can’t wait to come back in the spring to see all the waterfalls.

Excellent workout. keep an eye on the map. You don't wanna miss a turn. Bridge is slippery when wet. 1.5 to 2 hour hike.

During the warmer weather this is not a dog friendly spot and the hiking is harder than moderate. There is a lot of downhill rocky parts and than all up hill. Better for during the fall time and its very hard to get down to the water if you need to cool off.

good hike!!! we went down to river first and then up the road to trail. no a hard hike but we went later morning and had lots of sun!! plenty of poison oak but easily avoid able. Bring plenty of water for yourself and for your dog, after the river no water for dogs. Not many people until we got to the water falls, then we ran into many people walking up to see falls.

We did this today with our 15.13.and 11 year old. It was a fun hike and not too much poison oak until the end. We went down to Jones Bar and swam and ate....water wasn't too cold either. Then we hiked the .4 mile uphill and it was a workout. My two boys ran up it. It was really tough for my husband and me, but I would do it again.

Loved the bridges! They added a little something different. Typical California foothills dry area- at least in summer- lots of oak trees and poison oak on the sides. I was a little worried about finding the proper trail head after the swim hole, but it was pretty basic and marked after the bridge. Be prepared the final bit is nearly 1/2 mile up a steep incline. It's like having a personal trainer yell at you to push yourself when you're already tired if you're not used to hiking. I plan to bring more friends next time and hang out at the water longer. It's a lovely finish to the hike.

Has nice water falls, we went to the wrong trail head first that didn't have a sign, then found the one that says independence trail head. We did the whole Jones bar loop, not too hard just long. Took about 4 hours with stopping by the water for lunch.

Took me about 5 hours to complete the whole trail with a 6 year old and a 9 year old that was determined not to give up until they saw the water. It was muddy in some areas I do recommend boots. and bring mosquito repellent. plenty of nice places to stop and have a snack or lunch. lots of lizards and butterflies. ***beware, tons poison oak*** stay on the trails with the kids.

Could not find the trail head. Did independence east instead. Later discovered if I would have taken the west trail I would have merged with Jones bar. Why are the maps at the trail head so crappy?

amazing hike and views... parts are submerged in water but if you don't mind getting wet...just be careful where you step..numerous salamanders on this hike.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Trail starts with a pretty intense decline. Creek is really pretty and the views are nice. My kids loved all the little bridges.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Great workout. Starts off with a pretty good decent. Beautiful scenery. We came back the way we went in and the way back up was tough (for me). Well worth it though.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Parts of the trail were easy, but to reach the swimming hole be prepared for very vertical hiking. Loose rocks and poison oak, and came across rattle snakes. But the view was worth it and was a great workout! Would not recommend bringing your dog unless it is used to hiking harder trails.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

It's a gorgeous trail with lots of vertical inclines and declines BUT trail markers are hard to find or non-existent. Bring your map.

Monday, June 20, 2016

lots of Mosquitos but very beautiful scenery and great hike

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Starts pretty intense downhill in a washout and then a more gradual uphill climb after the creek and parallel to the river. The loop back was pretty, flat and shady. LOTS of poison oak though! The bridge walkway over the creek is very cool.

Monday, May 02, 2016

This is the west Independence Trail just using the road to create a loop. For those looking at the Independence Trail on alltrails the GPS instructions to get to the start of the hike will lead you down a 4 x 4 dirt road with nowhere really to park, it's better to start off of the highway as indicated by this trail. Same trail just starts a different spot