Johnsondale Bridge Trail

Johnsondale Bridge Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Johnsondale, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Gorgeous scenery. We took the dogs and it was a great trail for them as well. I would rate the trail as easy/moderate. There are plenty of rocks to climb over on the trail with some occasional inclines . There were also a couple of cool spots right next to the river to do a camping trip, so we will most definitely be back!

Hiked 1/7/18 and went to the 7 tea cups and back, which I am guessing was about 4 miles round trip.

Would not categorize this as easy because although there are amazing views and is fairly flat, the terrain is so rocky and uneven on most of the trail.

With that said, I would not recommend this trail for younger children due to the terrain. We took our 8 year old daughter and there was some stumbles.

Ending at 7 tea cups was a nice, well known swim spot for the summer but we also learned it is very crowded at that time. Plan to go back in late summer to hopefully enjoy the water and skip the crowds!

I’m not sure I would classify this hike as “easy”. I thought hiking over the rolling rocks of the Lost Coast Trail were not as difficult as some of the granite we had to traverse over on this hike. The scenery was beautiful, though.

This trail was rocky, but the fall colors were out and it was a beautiful day!!

It's about an hour hike up to the Seven Teacups waterfalls on your left. I agree that the trail is very rocky and you should wear good boots or hiking shoes. The trail is incredibly beautiful and there are plenty of places to camp along the river. Just try to find a spot with shade. I stayed up there for 4 days (during the week) and only saw two people. This is a powerful place... so grateful.

Is easy to moderate. Very rocky trail. Need good balance and boots.

This hike paired with Kern River Brewery afterwards was a good way to spend a Saturday.

Beautiful trail, pretty easy, amazing camping spots. Grab a spot early because they tend to get taken quick!

I wouldn't call this easy. Not difficult, just not easy. Several rocky spots to be careful through. Beautiful views of wild flowers, waterfall and of course a raging river. Go before it gets really hot and bring lots of water if you plan to go the entire distance.

Trail is moderate not easy. Easy because it is virtually flat. Very few incline/decline. But, due to rocky terrain we give it moderate. Not to mention a few drop offs right to the edge of the trail. Otherwise, very peaceful and scenery is wonderful. The sound of the river lulls you to sleep. Be aware of tics though. This trail is loaded with them. Overall we gave it a 3 star rating. Happy Hiking....

Nice trail along the river. Starts out pretty rocky the first 3/4 mile or so and then the trail is a bit nicer. Took our German shepherd puppy and he had a blast. Had to turn back about 2.5-3 miles in as the water level was too high and we lost the trail. We were going to go to the end, camp, and loop back around the rincon trail but were not able to se we went up to check out the George bush tree instead. Others passed us up on the way back and said they navigated through the water a short distance and met back up with the trail. Overall nice hike.

I took my 7 year old daughters on this hike. I wouldn't call this "easy".. it could because of the level of the river this year, but I was a little anxious and turned back sooner than I might have otherwise. The trail gets lost on some rather rocky areas you have to navigate. A lot of the rock is shale (I think?) that breaks easy and slides around. It was beautiful and we had a great time, I just feel the classification is "easy" is quite misleading.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

I would not label this trail as easy, especially if you do all 8+ miles. I hike regularly and would say it is moderate. That being said it is an awesome trail. Today held many highlights such as wildflowers all along the trail and the waterfalls were stunning.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Beautiful hike along the river. There are a few spots you can stop for the night if you are backpacking. The girlfriend and I went up a few miles - stopped at the Tea Cups / Falls and relaxed - then headed back.

Highly suggest this beautiful hike.

Monday, October 31, 2016

hiked back about 2 miles. great trail

Sunday, June 05, 2016

did about 3 miles in. nice trail. a little hot by noon. Lots of places to go down to the river

Sunday, February 21, 2016

This is a great river trail, especially if you aren't looking for a strenuous hike. The trail goes back almost 5 miles (therefore 9-10 roundtrip), before you hit the boundary and the trail leaves the river and heads east to connect with the Rubion trail. Along the 5 mile stretch, there are tons of access points to the river, great for fly fishin'. There are also multiple camps set up for an easy overnighter. If you do this trail, head up at least half way (maybe 2 miles out or so) to Dry Meadows Creek, where it comes in as a spectacular waterfall carving out a large section of the rock. There really isn't an end destination for this one, so just stroll out as far you like, and about-face and return to which you came when you are finished. Pack sunscreen, as most of this hike will be exposed. Don't forget to take you dog on this one too!

Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Did this trail 2 weeks ago, not that bad but not exactly 4 miles though.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Finally got back out here for a solo trip, and this palace is amazing. if you wanna check it out before you go check out what i saw here https://youtu.be/Mn5WcW10eAg

Monday, September 21, 2015

My family and i kinda did this hike this past Sunday, only did a tiny bit of it because the trail was a bit to dangerous for my kiddos. Best make sure you have strong ankles as well as good shoes. You can watch my you tube video in the description and enjoy the bits we did see.

Saturday, January 03, 2015

Just did this trail this weekend and feel in love with it. Took my 12yr old and nephews and they loved it as well...I'd say just to be careful due to how some if the trail is made in the rock. Will do this trail again soon.

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Easy trail, a little dusty and the water levels were low but the changing of the leaves has started so it was at least pretty!

Friday, May 23, 2014

Easy hike with some great views along the way. A little boring unless you get one of the jets flying overhead to kill your trail revere in nature!

Friday, February 07, 2014

Love the river trail. The first 4 miles of trail to the forks of the Kern is a wild trout fishery. Single hook barbless only. Fishing open year round but during off season is 0 kill. During season you may take 1 fish over 14". Several good campsites along the way.

Sunday, February 02, 2014

Great hike, with great scenery! I would say that it is an easy hike with dicey terrain. Lot's of places to roll an ankle or stub a toe. I would recommend good sturdy boots for the trail given the fact that most of it is granite rock. It looks like there are lots of places to camp along the way. Anyone know if you need a permit to stay overnight on the trail?

Sunday, September 15, 2013

I love this trail no matter what time of year it is. I know it is probably not the safest thing to do, but I would recommend hiking this trail when it is snowing. I went with a friend one year and, yes we did freeze our asses, but it was so cool to see the snow fall while we hiked a portion of the trail. I highly recommend this trail for most people. If you are looking for a really easy hike, don't do this one, but if you want one that is a little challenging then do this. By the way, don't forget your bathing suit during the summer because the swimming is a relief from the heat!

Saturday, August 17, 2013

This is one of my favorite trails on the Kern River. I was just on this trail on July 27, 2013 and following some flash flooding a few days before, there were some parts of the trail that were washed out or blocked by some rock slides, but still navigable. It is still one of my faves and the dogs love it. There were a couple of great swimming spots since the river is so low right now. Great views up and down the river.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Gorgeous views all along the way. You can continue on after the obvious trail ends.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I really enjoyed this hike. I only wish I would have seen some wild life. I drove 3.5 hours from Southern California just to Hike the 4 miles on a Sunday, and then drove back. A separate write up and some pictures are at aoblane@blogspot.com .

Thursday, April 04, 2013

Really enjoyed this hike. Took our 6 year old (he's a stud hiker) and he was pretty beat towards the end on the way back. Beautiful along the river, waterfalls are great, path is clear and mostly flat.