Johnson Ranch Loop Trail

Johnson Ranch Loop Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Luis Obispo, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great elevation changes to warm you up.

Sunny, bring a hat and water, but very comfortable trail; I’d call the shorter loop easy, haven’t done the longer one so can’t rank that. Usually you’ll run into several bikers, runners, hikers, and a family or two. Very fun and casual hike

This moderately trafficked loop trail is well marked and beautiful. Along the trail we saw numerous native birds and wild flowers. Most areas are fully sun exposed, but there are a few shaded areas in the wooded segment of the trail. Although we hiked the looped trail, I do recommend the trail for runners, also. There is a connector option on the trail that cuts through the loop to make it a shorter hike if so desired. I recommend this easy to moderate trail and make sure to bring some water.

Very enjoyable . Great views . Peaceful

Good hike with lots of sun & several shady pockets. Terrain has thin layer of loose dirt & not too rocky, so it won't be too tough on dog paws. Saw several families with young kids too.

I give it 5 stars to the loop; however, my wife and I took it a but further towards Irish hills and that area was way too dry for our taste... So we'll give it 4.5; nonetheless, it was an very nice hike. We definitely recommend it..

This is a great, easy trail. Watch for poison oak when you get to shady areas. If you go in the spring the mustard plants and other wild flowers are amazing. I went during a holiday weekend and it wasn’t crowded. Nicely kept trail. Please clean up after your dogs and don’t leave the dog poop bags on the trail.

Beautiful hike. Some wildflowers, rolling hills, a creek, trees, and a little cave in one area. Signs made it easy to stay on the Johnson Ranch loop. My watch said it was 3.3 miles, but I looped back around a bit to make it 4. It was easy to hike quickly and run parts to get a good workout. Online it said it’s a 1hr 45 min hike, but it took me 51 minutes with a bit of jogging mixed in. I didn’t see anyone until I was over half through the hike, but it was a weekday morning.

Lots of interesting bends and crossings. Beautiful scenery and a few shaded areas to break at. A nice creek area about midway. The trail is narrow in areas and frequently trafficked by people and dogs. They hills were rolling along so it didn’t seem like a big climb in any place. Well managed and allowable for bikes. There are bells and leashes available at the entrance. Great hike today!

Great hike! Beautiful!!

This trail is entertaining and a good challenge. There is an occasional cow that wanders onto the trail. It is very well used, but also well-maintained. In order to keep it well-maintained, it is occasionally closed for a few days after rain. Keep that in mind before you come and check it’s status online. Bells provided for mountain bikers at the entrance. It has several loops to either shorten or lengthen your trip.

closed 2018 03 25

one,of my favorite trails.

Gorgeous views and a nice little workout. Sometimes the cattle will be out grazing. There is a decent amount of foot and bike traffic on this trail. You can make this trip shorter or longer.

Great trail nice views!

Great hike

Fun 3.4 miles not a bad hike, easy to find and stay on the trail!

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Love Johnson for trail running with my dog. Solid 4 mile loop.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Right loop has less shade and left loop has more gain. Trails have narrow sections and you will share them with mountain bikers, so be careful if you are out with your dog or kids.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

First time on it. I really liked it so pretty.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

I love this trail. It's somewhat easier and flat than most other trails. About 2.5 miles out and back on a narrow pathways. But the the scenery is open and beautiful. High recommend. Great for kids and dogs. My dog loves it.

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

loved it! we walked 9.5 miles and it was a great workout!

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Great trail. The rolling hills make for a great workout. About 3 miles. Very narrow trails, so go at a time when there aren't a lot of people. Great for dogs as well. My dog hated those bridges tho.

Friday, March 17, 2017

Monday, February 20, 2017

Nice loop trail for the family. Mostly exposed. Frequented by mountain bikers, some of which do not ride with a bell, so be cautious. Suceptable to flooding at times.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Rain/ wet conditions! Trail closed!

Monday, February 13, 2017