Johns Meadow Trail to Johns Meadow

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(147)
San Gorgonio Wilderness

Johns Meadow Trail to Johns Meadow is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Angelus Oaks, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,013 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Enjoyed this hike a lot! You’ll see a couple creeks and some mud so maybe wear some shoes you don’t mind getting a little muddy. Took us approximately 6 hours, started at 10am and didn’t end until around 3pm.

This is a great trail. Very wooded area. Not affected by any recent fires. The forest here is healthy and beautiful. Lots of ups and downs with elevation gain and loss. Any time you cross four or more streams in a hike you’re going to be going down to the creek, then up and around the shoulder or ridge, then back down to the creek. Took us just about 6 hrs with 5 kids ranging from 9-15. Do it.

Nice trail. Definitely an intermediate and not a beginner hike. Made it to John Meadow campground had lunch and back in around 4 hours. Meadow and stream was a little underwhelming IMO. Total distance is over 7 miles from the car. Pretty busy on a Saturday during the Covid times.

icy

I came wth my dog will be back, can get lost easily. To get to the location it’s rocky... use suv or a jeep

Hiked this trail on February 19th. Most of the trail is in relatively dense forest. The trail is well marked and a pleasure to hike with periodic ups and downs. There were many sections where the trail was covered in snow and/or ice requiring extra care. Everyone in our party slipped and fell on the ice at some point on the trail. We had crampons but chose not to wear them as the snow and ice was intermittent. The last 1/10th of a mile of trail before turning back was not navigable because of high snow drifts. It is worth hiking to the end as the creek is beautiful.

nice hike with pups! they were exuberant to frolick in the remaining snow but be prepared for mud. the humans had a good time also on this mild hike. to get to the trailhead be sure you have a higher profile car...there are fairly deep ruts to maneuver around.

Beautiful trail during this time of year with lots of shade. The trail was easy to find and the path was well-defined. Driving in was a bit rough though, probably a good idea to have a 4 wheel drive. Great trail to bring your pup. The two streams near the end were a nice treat too, though there was not really an area to sit and relax by the water. Highly recommend for anyone who wants a moderately challenging day hike .

We loved this trail and John's Meadow. Did an overnight trip with a beginner and it was perfect. We had the whole place to ourselves. Rangers advised us to hang out bear bags as many bears have been seen in the area, we saw none. Plenty of water near the camp.

This trail is legit beautiful. One of the most prime forest trails in the big bear range and I have seen a lot of them. Nice thing is it’s only about half the drive up to big bear from Redlands also. Great trail for beginners looking to move up to intermediate trails. Very nice fall colors currently. Lots of wildlife. Some mud, be prepared. Exit highway 38 onto Jenks Lake Rd West and follow signs for Forsee creek trailhead. I estimate trail was about 90% shaded when I hiked it at 9am. Recommended. Also if you’re an advanced hiker looking for a very scenic morning trail without the long drive, this is a trail for you.

Great mountain hike! The stream toward the end is great.

Nice trail to beat the heat of summer ... a little elevation gain at the start but a pretty easy trek. Narrow trail at times. We ended at a creek, it opened up but not really sure if it was the actual ‘meadow’. Wasn’t very Meadow-y but the stream was gorgeous. Road in is pretty bad. Would recommend 4 wheel drive.

Completed this hike today and overall it was a great one. Quite a few hikers in groups (scouts I think) made it a bit loud and busy on the trail but all were courteous. A few muddy spots from the nearby spring and some pretty narrow and loose sections that made me glad I had my poles. The stream was beautiful and quite full encouraging birds and a lot of bees, wasps and butterflies to drink. Many flowers also in bloom. When we made it to the meadow I was a bit disappointed; not really a typical meadow. There was little open space instead stands of conifers (and many fallen). It was fine, and many were camping there but for me the standouts were the many lovely mountain and valley views as well as the stream.

Great trail. It is one person wide but there's places to pass. Beautiful views. Shady areas to help keep you cool.

Fantastic hike with a campground at the end. Little ones can make this hike with some assistance at the creek crossing. We went on a Saturday and the parking lot was filling up with a lot of people who looked like they were going overnight. Get a wildernesses permit even if you are going on a day hike. We got some conflicting information from the ranger at the station and the ranger we bumped into on the trail. I had a permit so we were ok but another group was told to return. Since the hike is pretty easy, the campsite was busy so get a camping permit in advance. Road was really rough to get to parking lot, high clearance vehicle was a must have.

New to hiking so this trail was perfect. The creek was flowing very rough..so we could not get over it near the end of the hike. But absolutely will hike this trail again.

Tue May 28 2019

Beautiful, and not too terribly difficult for a moderate hike

Sun May 26 2019

One of the BEST hikes we've been on in a long time. Loved the shady trail through the forest. It kept us and our pups nice and cool. The view from the river was gorgeous with the snow capped mountains in the background. If you hike past John medow about .02 miles you will see the waterfall visible far in the distance. The ranger told us the trail that used to go close to it has been destroyed.

Sun May 26 2019

fantastic

Mon May 13 2019

Did this trail cause I love seeing the green plant life, trees, and streams that meadows usually offer but I wouldn't waste my effort with this trail again. John's meadow was not much of a meadow at all! Really dissapointing and the trail is kinda long and hot for little reward! If you want a beautiful meadow in southern cal do the Sugarloaf mountain trail. The meadow is in the first mile of the trail so you dont have to do the whole trail to Sugarloaf unless you want to see amazing views from the top gorgous setting reminded me of the meadows up north in Sequoia national park. The second best meadow I've seen in our local mountains was in big bear lake using the castle rock trail take it past bluff lake to a nice forested area where the Champion lodgepole is found next to a large meadow that follows the siberia creek. Nicest meadows I've seen in our southern cal mountains!

Sun May 12 2019

Hiked this on Friday. The weather was cool and it was misty all day. The cloud cover pushed in and made for some great scenery. The trail was in good condition.