Johnny Cash Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Folsom, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 839 feet Route Type: Loop

paved

historic site

The Johnny Cash Trail connects the Folsom Lake Trail by way of a new bike/pedestrian over-crossing, beautifully inspired by the architecture of nearby Folsom Prison. With the bike trail infrastructure in place, the City of Folsom plans to create a world-class linear public art experience that will celebrate and honor the legendary Johnny Cash, his music, and his history with the City of Folsom. Along the trail, eight larger-than-life public art pieces will tell the story of Johnny Cash, his connection to Folsom Prison, and his epic musical career. Visitors will have an opportunity to enrich the experience using smartphone apps and audio designed to bring each art piece to life as it incorporates Cash’s music, historical documentary information, and interactive elements.

Great bike trail! Tough uphills on some parts but not too hard.

Nice trail and lots of nice people. Very little shade so pavement can get to hot for dogs.

Nice shaded trail that is well maintained for both walkers and bikers. At times there can be a lot of bikers so sometimes walkers may have to pull off to the side for a brief moment while they pass. There is also a strictly walking trail along the side of the main one that will bring you close to the water. To get down to the water it is a little bit of a steep decline in some places, but still not rough by any means. I love this trail and will definitely be going back. *I only did about 2 and a half miles of the trail, but from what I experienced it was very nice.

This one is definitely one to bike

Awesome trail and extremely family friendly! We'll e back for sure, my 5-year old love it!

Definitely a great time, better if you take the side trails that run parallel to the paved areas. There are a few places you can step off and get to the lake, we had a great time

Super fun and beautiful! You can take a detour to get close to Folsom Lake. My friends and I went. We took the detour, sat on the rocks next to the lake and ate lunch. It was very nice and relaxing. They closed the dam though, probably due to quarantine.

This trail was super fun! Me and a few of my friends went and had a blast. We took a detour about halfway through the hike and ate lunch on the rocks by Folsom Lake. It was super chill and relaxing. I would say it’s moderate though, not easy.

Love this trail, but it gets super crowded and there will be huge groups of people walking on the wrong side, despite signs everywhere telling pedestrians to walk on the left side, which makes it dangerous for pedestrians and bicyclists to get by each other. On top of that, you have people stopping on the bridge that goes over the river, so that they can fish and take selfies. Those conditions combined create frustration.

That is so not an easy trail. Moderate

A great paved path. Very populated on a Saturday.

Great hike.. gets a little confusing once you cross over Folsom lake on where to pick up the trail loop to come back.. but will definitely do again

Madds and I did a short one, but fun at the river!

Decent trail, pretty view of the river. We saw wildflowers along the way. You can go off trail or stay on paved. We like a little more seclusion and less people so probably won’t return.

Gorgeous trail, some incline, great place to bike, jog or just walk. You can do half or the entire trail if time permits. My favorite trial, done it a dozen of times.

Bike trail perfect day

Nice, easy walk all together! Fully paved & few hills. Recommend getting there early.. trail is super popular. Followed AllTrails map but trail is marked well. Pros: views of the prison, Folsom lake and American river. Lots of pretty wildflowers. Free parking. Dog friendly. Loop style so you get a new view the whole time. Cons: lots of bikers so keep dog on short leash. Cars can be loud, especially while walking by dam. If this is considered a “hike” I wish it was more challenging.. to me it seems like a long walk. Very very very little shade, bring sunscreen, water and a hat! Would do it again! My watch clocked 6.2 miles total.

I love Johnny Cash and loved the trail

Good town walk but there is a large stretch on the road by the damn. We followed nature trail on side of bile path and at least it was free of cyclist - some mountain bikes but better than feeling like your in a life size version of frogger

Great trail, easy to follow from this Trail App. A few forks in the trail but if you zoom in on the map you’ll be fine. Not a lot of shade, so I’m glad I brought lots of water for my fur babies. I parked in the lot at the end of the street after the Folsom library and it was free. Lots of bike traffic so stay to the left.

Easy trail suitable for a family hike. Walking counterclockwise provides a slightly greater elevation gain.

recorded Johnny Cash Trail

The trail is hard to follow at points when other paths merged together. I went off the trail multiple times and came back to it a different way. Drive past the library on your right to a parking lot by a baseball field for easy access to the beginning of the trail.

Easy breezy! 6.3 loop. Now there is a confusing part where there is a split. Stay on the main trail so you go under Prison Rd. We went left because it says “Johnny Cash Trail Access Only”. Don’t take that unless you want to visit the prison. We ended up doing 7.3. If you do take it, visit the prison museum. The prison guards at the gate said people get confused EVERY single day.

Beautiful trail, lots of pavement, try to walk on dirt, better for your knees and feet. A few mini inclines along the path, lots of bikers and walkers. Everyone is polite and respectful... one of my favorite trails in folsom.

Great trail but the loop it’s complicated towards the middle near the bridge and isn’t well marked.

Very noisy due to car traffic along the trail.

My friend & I met up here and were pleased by the signs posted leading to the start of the trailhead. Also, it was nice to have a good sized parking lot and restroom at the start. Walkers & bikers were courteous and helpful to us being new to the path. I enjoyed the incline of the trail and having other walkers in sight. We did not complete the full loop but I hope to go back again soon!

nice trail, view is great, not shady.