John S Brooks Memorial Trail

John S Brooks Memorial Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Belmont, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A short but sweet mountain bike loop, that is mostly used by locals. Take the Elevator Trail to the John Brooks Trail.

This trail is pretty but I do not recommend any dog owners to bring their dogs here because we did not even finish the entire trail and I found multiple ticks on my dog. There is a sign that warns people of ticks but I thought even though I didn’t let her into the grass, that she wouldn’t get any on her.

Absolutely loved the trail! Very easy to find. Lots of options and very friendly and courteous people using the trail! Will definitely go again next time I’m in town! A+

Gorgeous wooded single track trail run that I did with my dog. Beautiful views on the ridge lines. You can add various loops to make it a longer run if you prefer. Map and GPS worked perfectly.

Really pretty ravine, and may be an easy hike, but this loop involves some single track that isn’t “easy”... didn’t make it off the main fire road with the kids.

A lot of bicycles so stick to the right.
A lot of dog owners, some leave their dogs with no leash so pick up your child when one comes.
Muddy after rains so bring decent shoes or boots but fine after a few hours as it slopes a lot.
The lake in the middle "water dog lake" is lame.

Pretty easy trail, middle of the city, 5 minutes from home so can't complain.
It goes either up or down so not a flat route.

I used to hike part of this trail to get to and from school each day, a nice break from busy city life.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Great park. Did the James S Brooks trail, loop around the lake, & the berry trail. Did a good 5miles. Some of the trails are not labeled trails. I think they were made by the mountain bikers. When I went, there we're many mountain bikers. 80% of the trails are shaded. The back entrance is at 2839 Hallmark Drive. Be prepared, people bring their dogs to the lake in the early afternoon & the dogs are running around w/out leashes.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Great ride! Loop around the lake is a pretty fun little technical trail. Choose your own adventure style!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Dog friendly you're either ascending or descending

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Nice and easy trail. You have a lot of options if you want a short or long hike. A lot of mosquitoes when I went.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Great local trail--only issue is that people don't bother to put their dogs on leashes here. Pretty scary if you're not a dog person.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

clean wide trail, easy access and parking

Thursday, August 25, 2016

nice little loop, but a lot of bikes for my tastes.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Belmont is lucky to have a secluded area tucked-away so close to the hustle and bustle of the Bay Area.

MTB, hike, run, or do all three while walking your dog!

Like any multi-use trails, mountain bikers will encounter hikers. Hikers will encounter dog walkers. Please be courteous. Dog Walkers: Keep your dog(s) on a leash. Belmont PD does do enforcement sporadically.

Beware of rattle snakes! Not kidding...this place has more snakes than hikers by about a 1000.1. Snakes cleverly camouflage themselves! You think?

Monday, July 18, 2016

Easy to find and get away from the Suburbs. Lots of trail options, so watch for mountain bikers (who seem very nice and hiker-aware).

If you prefer shade, hike down Lake Road Trail, go around the dog lake (woof!), up the Berry Trail. Southern trails seem a little more exposed.

Oh, and keep your eyes open for the abandoned cars hidden here and there. Surprise!

Friday, July 15, 2016

It was a nice peaceful trail. Easy enough for me to start my bike adventure (newbie bike rider). Definitely will be coming back.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Awesome!!

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

I loved it !! Went jogging and hiking with my dog! :) beautiful nature and wild outside !!

Thursday, December 10, 2015

what a great dog friendly place.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

It was a little challenging to find a place to park, but once we parked we were able to walk on the first trail. It is a chain of trails that lead to the lake. We hiked around the lake, it was very nice. Our hike was about 2.5 miles, but you can make it longer or shorter depending on the trails you pick. The trails had a good mix of sun and shade.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012

This was a awesome trek. It was perfect for the amount of time me and my buds had so we did and it took us like 2 hours to do the back side (I think it was the back side). I'm a total nube and water dog was at the limit of my comfort zone. My friends are way more advanced and took the lead which is why I think I liked it so much.
OK... Final notes.
1. Don't do this unless your super comfortable with your skill set on the bike
2. Ride with people
3. It was one of the best rides EVER... It had everything.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

This is a great little "afer work" ride if you live around San Carlos or Belmont. It's short in length, easy to get to, can be completed pretty quickly, and can be very challenging physically and technically. Sometimes you're riding along a fence that is the back side of residential properties; other times it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere. Since it's a relatively small area and in the middle of suburbia, people might dismiss it as not worth a try. It really is; I've done it twice. If I lived kind of far from Waterdog, I wouldn't say it's worth a trek to get here to check out. But, if you live close, it's a nice treat.