Learn more

John Muir Trail via Yosemite Valley [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(163)
Yosemite National Park

John Muir Trail via Yosemite Valley [CLOSED] is a 203.1 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October.

Length 203.1 mi Elevation gain 46,030 ft Route type Point to Point
Backpacking Camping Hiking Forest Lake River Views Waterfall Wild flowers Wildlife Bugs Rocky Snow Closed No dogs
Description
Waypoints (0)
Tips

Note: as of September 2020, trails in this area are closed due to wildfire. See park page for more information. This is the John Muir Trail from Yosemite Valley to Whitney Portal.

Dogs allowed on leash on portions of this trail, but not on the enire trail. for more information: https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (163)
Photos (175)
Recordings (107)
Completed (425)
Beatriz Ceballos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 22, 2020
HikingGreat!
View Beatriz's Recording
Chelsea Neilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 22, 2020
HikingGreat!
Pelon Pelon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 3, 2020
Backpacking

Just finished hiking the JMT. Had some days of early afternoon rain and lightning and had to outrun that to set up camp. Everyone out there around evolution lakes and Muir pass got stuck in a few afternoons of bad lightening. Then a smoke day filled in at Rae lakes. It was bad but didn’t ruin things. The trail amazing. The people out there incredible for the most part. I would do reds and skip VVR next time, all depends what you want out of it. VVR was a dunk zone and not what we were looking for. They also would bring people in but not get them out by boat due to low water levels. MTR was accommodating enough for the resupply. Great hike. Know the people you go with and make sure they are fit enough to do it.

Annie Alsheimer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 19, 2020
View Annie's Recording
Kate Brouns
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
BackpackingGreat!
chris fallen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020

Best hike ever! my 13 year old son and I started this hike July 2nd 2019. it was a heavy snow year so we trekked through alot of it, but every day was a new and different beauty! if you can carve out 3 weeks during the summer start applying for permits, you won't be disappointed!

Julie Lavender
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
Hiking

Solo hiked the JMT SOBO mid August 2018. If you go late in the season you can leave the bug spray at home. Take your time and have zero days at the resupply locations if you can (also I'd recommend at Sallie Keyes lake). Muir Ranch no longer caters to backpackers-meaning they do not have restrooms for you to use and you are not allowed to off load your accumulated trash (with the exception of used batteries). So if you have to use the restroom, go before you start the steep decent to the ranch (as once you get there it would be difficult to find somewhere private to go). VVR is a must!

Vivian Li
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2020
Hiking

I would rate the JMT 10 out of 5 stars if I could. Phenomenal first thru hike experience!! June-July 2020, SOBO

Luigi Laraia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 14, 2020
Hiking

Hiked the JMT in late August. It was an unforgettable experience on every level. We hiked the whole trail in 10 days and added Mt. Whitney at the end. We hiked relatively fast and if I did it again I would hike it in 20 days to explore nature and enjoy the countless, memorable views. This should be on any hiking bucket list.

Michael Melanson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 19, 2020
Hiking

Southbound solo thru-hiked in Aug 2018. Best hike I have ever done.

Matthew Stokes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 14, 2020
Hiking

Only hiked from valley floor to mammoth lakes. About 50 miles. But probably the best hike I’ve over been on. Very beautiful.

Anna Lam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 13, 2020
Hiking

Solo south to north . Did not have time to send the resupply . I took my chance at MTR.

Andrew Gilles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 10, 2019
Hiking

Solo hiked the JMT in 16 days (aug 29-sept 13). Resupplied at MTR. The JMT lives up to all the hype. Too many amazing things to mention. A bucket list hike. Get out there and do it.

Rachel Wierick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 2, 2019
Hiking

This was the most incredible experience of my life! I went with my dad, we spent 26 days backpacking from Whitney portal to Yosemite.

Michael Mitchell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 27, 2019
Hiking

What an adventure! The peaks and lakes are absolutely gorgeous, though the colors got a little monochromatic after two week for me. Every day will bring you up a mountain pass, which is like opening a door to a new "mini-world" on a regular basis.

Joey Gonzalez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 26, 2019
Hiking

We started Sept. 26th via Happy Isles in Yosemite and exited Roads End Rae Lakes between Pinchot and Glens Pass on Oct. 5th. The hardest most beautiful thing I’ve ever done! Just get out there even for a couple days...beyond words!

Cheri Cole
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 24, 2019

Sierra point

View Cheri's Recording
Amy Heiss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2019
Hiking

Completing this trail is one of my finest hiking experiences. It is hard to describe in a short description. The terrain is manageable but sometimes challenging. The trail is very well marked except in a couple of spots. Be sure you have good maps and know how to use them. Be sure to bring a camera, and practice “stealth” camping (don’t sleep in the same place you cook food). Be prepared to be challenged mentally and physically. Enjoy the hike, take the journey!

Chuck Apple
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 13, 2019
Backpacking

This is a must in a lifetime hike! Gods Country for sure! High mountain lakes and snow capped peaks. Amazing trail from start to finish.

Christopher Villalba
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 14, 2019
Hiking

A highly rated adventure to check off the ol’ bucket list. Definitely a memorable time stamp I’ll look back at and thank myself for embarking such journey. Made this trek back in 2015 and thought the trail was maintained very well all throughout. Wanna know more? Go out and seek for yourself. I guarantee you’ll love it.

Lia Landrill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 9, 2018
Backpacking

Hike of a lifetime! My best backpacking experience so far. We didn't resupply during our trip and it made the first few days extremely difficult, until our packs got a bit lighter - think about it twice before you commit to the fully autonomous mode! Also make sure you have a plan B in case your water filter breaks on day 2... but we were lucky and none of us got sick even after drinking unfiltered water from rivers and lakes for two weeks.

Brad Wells
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 7, 2018
Backpacking

Check out our trip video at Trail Perspective on YouTube: https://youtu.be/EyCEu-icxrw & https://youtu.be/GLPpZOIsYAg Did a section of the JMT from Happy Isles to Rush Creek (Near Reds Meadow) in September. Crazy gorgeous section of the trail, wish we could've had the time to go all the way to Whitney. My favorite part of this section was the last part of Donahue Pass to Thousand Island Lake.

Natalia D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2018
Backpacking

I did this trail in August with my best friend and it was awesome! It was hard of course, but the weather was almost perfect the whole time. There were a couple rain/hail storms but that was about it. Mosquitos only bothered us a few times, and it wasn't that bad. We did 21 days with three resupplies at Red's Meadow, Muir Trail Ranch, and Independence. Muir Trail Ranch was a disappointment with no services other than picking up our buckets, and we realized later that we should have done Vermillion Valley instead as many hikers said they had an awesome experience.

PCT ‘19 Socks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2018
Backpacking

I hiked the JMT solo starting from Yose Valley in 2015, but got off the trail in mile 180 (Kearsarge Pass Jct) because of ankle and knee injuries. In 2015, I resupplied twice: Reds Meadow and Muir Trail Ranch (estimated 9 days of food until Whitney Portal). I finished the last 31 miles in 2016 starting from Cottonwood Lakes to Kearsarge Pass (it’s about 72 miles including Mt. Whitney, Lake Charlotte, and Kearsarge Pass Trail). I didn’t resupply for this 7 day hike. Final thoughts about the JMT: challenging, nonetheless it was an amazing experience. Easier to get a permit going NOBO than. SOBO. Trail is easy to navigate in low snow year, plenty of water sources on the trail, mozzies are relentless in July, beautiful views, mountains and lakes for days, and great people on the trail. Transportation set up: I left my car in Lone Pine and hitched a ride to Yose for my 2015 hike and to Horseshoe Meadows trailhead in 2016. Getting back to my car from Kearsarge Pass, I hired a shuttle service to take me back to Lone Pine. Reasonable rate.

Mark Adlard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2018
Backpacking

A great adventure that I will never forget!! Each day of beauty surpassed the beauty of the day before. A never-ending awe inspiring views.

John Moffat
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 2, 2018

amazing. not to be missed.

Steve Cotugno
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 22, 2018
Hiking

This is a fantastic trail that should be considered by all that love the high sierra. I did this in July 2015 over 15 days starting south of Whitney and ending in happy isles. Days where long but not outragous. I was on my own but never felt lonely. Lots of people on the trail to talk to if you want. You can also just hie along and people will leave you alone. Finding a camp site or water wasn't hard. I tried to finish my day making it halfway up a pass. This way I could rest the night and make it over the pass for breakfast the next day. Be sure to pack lite, I mean really only bring what you need as that pack certainly gets heavy after 15 days on the trail.

Yang Liu
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 18, 2018
Hiking

Not a very hard trail for downhill but it offers a great view of the Nevada fall and the valley. It also has a small cascade which you will walk under that brings you a great experience for the summer.

CM Papillon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 11, 2018

This is my favorite trail so far! I hiked it 5 times alone. I liked it so much that I even hiked it twice in one month (2009). Then I went back to hike it in 2011, 2012 and 2014. It’s time to do it again! I always hiked it in 9 - 12 days. I would like to spend more time on it, like 2 weeks to relax also.

Lisa Myers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 18, 2018
Backpacking

hiked this in 2012...it was meant to be a thru hike but partner got sick so we had to leave right about the half way point. I went back 2 years later and finished it. One of the crown jewels in US places to backpack.