Learn more

John Muir Trail via Yosemite Valley

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(146)
Yosemite National Park

John Muir Trail via Yosemite Valley is a 203.1 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 203.1 miles Elevation Gain: 46,030 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Yosemite National Park is open to those with reservations begining on Thursday, June 11. See the park website for more info: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/covid19.htm This is the John Muir Trail from Yosemite Valley to Whitney Portal.

Hiked the JMT in late August. It was an unforgettable experience on every level. We hiked the whole trail in 10 days and added Mt. Whitney at the end. We hiked relatively fast and if I did it again I would hike it in 20 days to explore nature and enjoy the countless, memorable views. This should be on any hiking bucket list.

Southbound solo thru-hiked in Aug 2018. Best hike I have ever done.

Only hiked from valley floor to mammoth lakes. About 50 miles. But probably the best hike I’ve over been on. Very beautiful.

Solo south to north . Did not have time to send the resupply . I took my chance at MTR.

Solo hiked the JMT in 16 days (aug 29-sept 13). Resupplied at MTR. The JMT lives up to all the hype. Too many amazing things to mention. A bucket list hike. Get out there and do it.

This was the most incredible experience of my life! I went with my dad, we spent 26 days backpacking from Whitney portal to Yosemite.

What an adventure! The peaks and lakes are absolutely gorgeous, though the colors got a little monochromatic after two week for me. Every day will bring you up a mountain pass, which is like opening a door to a new "mini-world" on a regular basis.

We started Sept. 26th via Happy Isles in Yosemite and exited Roads End Rae Lakes between Pinchot and Glens Pass on Oct. 5th. The hardest most beautiful thing I’ve ever done! Just get out there even for a couple days...beyond words!

Sierra point

Thu Jul 04 2019

Completing this trail is one of my finest hiking experiences. It is hard to describe in a short description. The terrain is manageable but sometimes challenging. The trail is very well marked except in a couple of spots. Be sure you have good maps and know how to use them. Be sure to bring a camera, and practice “stealth” camping (don’t sleep in the same place you cook food). Be prepared to be challenged mentally and physically. Enjoy the hike, take the journey!

Wed Mar 13 2019

This is a must in a lifetime hike! Gods Country for sure! High mountain lakes and snow capped peaks. Amazing trail from start to finish.

Thu Feb 14 2019

A highly rated adventure to check off the ol’ bucket list. Definitely a memorable time stamp I’ll look back at and thank myself for embarking such journey. Made this trek back in 2015 and thought the trail was maintained very well all throughout. Wanna know more? Go out and seek for yourself. I guarantee you’ll love it.

Tue Oct 09 2018

Hike of a lifetime! My best backpacking experience so far. We didn't resupply during our trip and it made the first few days extremely difficult, until our packs got a bit lighter - think about it twice before you commit to the fully autonomous mode! Also make sure you have a plan B in case your water filter breaks on day 2... but we were lucky and none of us got sick even after drinking unfiltered water from rivers and lakes for two weeks.

Sun Oct 07 2018

Check out our trip video at Trail Perspective on YouTube: https://youtu.be/EyCEu-icxrw & https://youtu.be/GLPpZOIsYAg Did a section of the JMT from Happy Isles to Rush Creek (Near Reds Meadow) in September. Crazy gorgeous section of the trail, wish we could've had the time to go all the way to Whitney. My favorite part of this section was the last part of Donahue Pass to Thousand Island Lake.

Wed Sep 26 2018

I did this trail in August with my best friend and it was awesome! It was hard of course, but the weather was almost perfect the whole time. There were a couple rain/hail storms but that was about it. Mosquitos only bothered us a few times, and it wasn't that bad. We did 21 days with three resupplies at Red's Meadow, Muir Trail Ranch, and Independence. Muir Trail Ranch was a disappointment with no services other than picking up our buckets, and we realized later that we should have done Vermillion Valley instead as many hikers said they had an awesome experience.

Mon Jul 23 2018

I hiked the JMT solo starting from Yose Valley in 2015, but got off the trail in mile 180 (Kearsarge Pass Jct) because of ankle and knee injuries. In 2015, I resupplied twice: Reds Meadow and Muir Trail Ranch (estimated 9 days of food until Whitney Portal). I finished the last 31 miles in 2016 starting from Cottonwood Lakes to Kearsarge Pass (it’s about 72 miles including Mt. Whitney, Lake Charlotte, and Kearsarge Pass Trail). I didn’t resupply for this 7 day hike. Final thoughts about the JMT: challenging, nonetheless it was an amazing experience. Easier to get a permit going NOBO than. SOBO. Trail is easy to navigate in low snow year, plenty of water sources on the trail, mozzies are relentless in July, beautiful views, mountains and lakes for days, and great people on the trail. Transportation set up: I left my car in Lone Pine and hitched a ride to Yose for my 2015 hike and to Horseshoe Meadows trailhead in 2016. Getting back to my car from Kearsarge Pass, I hired a shuttle service to take me back to Lone Pine. Reasonable rate.

Wed Jul 04 2018

A great adventure that I will never forget!! Each day of beauty surpassed the beauty of the day before. A never-ending awe inspiring views.

Sat Jun 02 2018

amazing. not to be missed.

Tue May 22 2018

This is a fantastic trail that should be considered by all that love the high sierra. I did this in July 2015 over 15 days starting south of Whitney and ending in happy isles. Days where long but not outragous. I was on my own but never felt lonely. Lots of people on the trail to talk to if you want. You can also just hie along and people will leave you alone. Finding a camp site or water wasn't hard. I tried to finish my day making it halfway up a pass. This way I could rest the night and make it over the pass for breakfast the next day. Be sure to pack lite, I mean really only bring what you need as that pack certainly gets heavy after 15 days on the trail.

Fri May 18 2018

Not a very hard trail for downhill but it offers a great view of the Nevada fall and the valley. It also has a small cascade which you will walk under that brings you a great experience for the summer.

Wed Apr 11 2018

This is my favorite trail so far! I hiked it 5 times alone. I liked it so much that I even hiked it twice in one month (2009). Then I went back to hike it in 2011, 2012 and 2014. It’s time to do it again! I always hiked it in 9 - 12 days. I would like to spend more time on it, like 2 weeks to relax also.

Sun Feb 18 2018

hiked this in 2012...it was meant to be a thru hike but partner got sick so we had to leave right about the half way point. I went back 2 years later and finished it. One of the crown jewels in US places to backpack.

Thu Feb 15 2018

This is the single most impactful trail I've ever experienced. The JMT, when done it its 211 mile entirety, will yield lifelong cherished memories. Its not easy, and you must do months of preparation. Its beauty is absolutely breathtaking. I cannot recommend this trail highly enough. Six stars.

Tue Jan 16 2018

I am not a poet. Words cannot describe how humbling gods work is. Over every peak, the trail gets more beautiful.

Mon Jan 15 2018

Did this hike in 5th grade and planning on doing it again this year! It was an amazing experience and such great scenery. But extremely difficult and can be tough to follow if you do not have an experienced hiker with you.

Wed Jan 03 2018

One of the most beautiful sections of the PCT

Tue Dec 26 2017

check out two applications: Guthook JMT for $9.99 and Hikerbot for crowd source information. Both have better and more detailed info than Alltrails.

Tue Nov 28 2017

most wonderful, difficult, beautiful, amazing trail ever! Go NOBO from Whitney.

Sat Nov 25 2017

Did the whole length SB July 2016. Completed the thru-hike in 14 days with one resupply at John Muir Ranch. Amazing experience and completely life changing!

Thu Oct 19 2017

most amazing experience in my life