John Muir Trail Via Yosemite Valley

John Muir Trail Via Yosemite Valley is a 209.3 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Mariposa, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

John Muir Trail - Yosemite Valley to Whitney Portal

Absolutely life changing!

My wife and I hiked the JMT NOBO via Whitney Portal to Happy Isles in Yosemite, with a resupply over Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley. With the resupply our total mileage was 238 miles.Beautiful weather the entire 21 days

Joined up with this trail on my way back down from Nevada Falls and it has some really great views. I recommend taking Mist Trail up and this one back down to the Valley. I was glad I did it that way because I got some amazing photos on this hike.

I love that trail. I wish I was that forest ranger who worked out of the post in Evolution Valley.

Whoa Nelly!!!!

One of the most incredible things I've ever seen. astounding.

Did this while I was hiking the PCT. Summit Whitney. Great two weeks.

I hiked the JMT in summer of 2016. Solo. North Bound in 25 days. By far, the hardest thing I had ever done to date. An incredible empowering experience that I'll never quite be able to do a good job of putting into words. Unforgettable! If you're thinking about it. Do it. Go for it. After you do your homework and preparation.

Incredible views.

Amazing trail.

John Muir Trail from Devils Postpile to Happy Isles in Yosemite Valley
August 3 – 12, 2015

Monday 3rd: We drove all day through the barren wasteland of Nevada. The trip was made enjoyable by listening to Julia Sweeney’s standup, “Letting Go of God.” Hilarious!
When we arrived in Mammoth, we went on the Reds Meadow Shuttle down to Devils Postpile. The Postpile was formed less than 100,000 years ago when a cooling lava flow cracked into multi-sided columns. The basalt was exposed and smoothed by glaciers.
Our first night we slept at the Whispering Pines at June Lake. The outside view from the hotel was beautiful.

Tuesday 4th: Today was dedicated to Yosemite. We started with breakfast at Nicely’s restaurant in Lee Vining, California. Then we went to Tuolumne Meadows to drop off our food cache in the bear boxes. Next, we headed down to Yosemite Valley. That place was crazy! It was packed with people, most of them speaking different languages (e.g. the tower of Babel). People clearly come from all over the world to enjoy this place.
We took a hike in Tuolumne Grove to see the giant redwood trees. I had never seen redwoods before and they are truly magnificent, ancient, and massive.
Yosemite is filled with granitic plutons, cooled, hardened and then uplifted and exposed by erosion. There are mountains of white-gray granite everywhere. One such rock is called El Capitan. I think Brennon and Devon should climb it.
While we were standing there admiring the “big rock”, a mama doe and her two baby fawns walked out of the bushes right in front of us. They wandered around for a minute and then happily hopped back into the forest.
Yosemite Falls is the highest waterfall in the United States. Although it was a little anemic (not much water) its sheer height was impressive.
We left the truck and trailer in the Yosemite Valley and decided to take the car. The only problem was that the car was on the tow dolly and it was completely dead. Luckily some good Samaritans helped us shove the Mazda off the dolly and we jumped it with Uncle Steve’s truck. We had gas station burritos for lunch.
At the end of the day we stopped at Tuolumne Meadows to scope out the backpacker’s camping spots and find the trailhead. Mission accomplished except one tiny problem. We’d walked around so long we forgot where we parked the car. After much walking and searching we eventually found the car (in 15 min parking) and headed back to Nicely’s for dinner, and Motel 6 for one last night in a bed.
Day 1: We left Devils Postpile early Wednesday morning. For lunch we stopped at one of the small Trinity lakes along the trail. Each time we stopped to eat we also had to pump water for our bottles. Lunch consisted of granola bars, trail mix, beef jerky, and craisins. After a little more hiking we came upon Gladys Lake, which I thought was even grander than the little Trinity lake.
Along the trail we met some interesting people. Today was the first time we met our friends from Canada, two men from British Colombia (although the older gentleman spoke French?). They shared our lunch spot, and they were headed the same way we were; we would see them again before our hike was finished. We also met a nice couple from Israel heading south. The third pair of fellow hikers I will call the Swiss Miss Twins (although they really came from New Hampshire). They were both blond with two braids in their hair. They were clearly experienced hikers even mentioning a hike they did in South America, but today one of them had blisters. They were heading to Red’s Meadow to take a day or two off and see if they could rest the feet and continue on. We hiked 7.5 miles today, climbing 2000 feet, and Rosalie Lake was our first campsite. It was by far the most beautiful of the lakes I had seen that day.

Day 2: Breakfast is a Steve’s Special – a mixture of several different kinds of cereal and a yummy rehydrated milk powder (I promise it tastes better than I make it sound). We left Rosalie Lake heading north on the trail. We walked past a zillion switchbacks to get to Shadow Lake. Next, we hiked along Shadow Creek, over a log bridge and past some amazing little waterfalls. To simplify the hike experience I will describe it like this: up, up, up, up, then down, down, down, down (repeat). We strolled past Garnet Lake, Ruby Lake, and Emerald Lake before arriving at 1,000 Island Lake aptly named because it is filled with small little islands. We were supposed to camp at 1,000 Island Lake, but decided to press on another 1.5 miles to Island Pass. We were tired when we arrived and it was a little cold, so we made camp, pumped water, and had a delicious Chili Mac for dinner.
Our notable fellow hikers today were two ladies from Germany, one from Berlin and the other from Munich. We also saw our first trailrunner. She cruised by us just fast enough for me to ask if she wanted applause – she said yes. 

Day 3: As we