John Muir Trail Via Yosemite Valley

John Muir Trail Via Yosemite Valley is a 209.3 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Mariposa, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

John Muir Trail - Yosemite Valley to Whitney Portal

I am not a poet. Words cannot describe how humbling gods work is. Over every peak, the trail gets more beautiful.

Did this hike in 5th grade and planning on doing it again this year! It was an amazing experience and such great scenery. But extremely difficult and can be tough to follow if you do not have an experienced hiker with you.

One of the most beautiful sections of the PCT

check out two applications: Guthook JMT for $9.99 and Hikerbot for crowd source information. Both have better and more detailed info than Alltrails.

most wonderful, difficult, beautiful, amazing trail ever! Go NOBO from Whitney.

Did the whole length SB July 2016. Completed the thru-hike in 14 days with one resupply at John Muir Ranch. Amazing experience and completely life changing!

most amazing experience in my life

Beautiful in June. Expect some uphill challenges.

Above and beyond expectations

*Edit from last review

.. rather, AllTrails lists the Snow Creek Falls, Tenaya Lake, Yosemite Valley via JMT loop as dog-legal

In doing a bit of research, I found that only sections of the JMT is dog-legal. AllTrails lists the Yosemite portion dog-legal, as per written description and according to map; Snow Creek trail, as well. Having a dog on-trail could result in a fine and possibly being escorted out of the park.

"The National Parks (both Yosemite and Sequoia / King's Canyon) do not allow dogs on any parts of the trails. The only sections that would allow a dog are those in the National Forests. John Muir Wilderness in Sierra National Forest and the Ansel Adams Wilderness in Inyo National Forest. Therefore, you'd have the trailheads from Muir Trail Ranch to Gem Lake (just short of Donahue) to hike with a dog (about 90 miles or so)."

Life-changing trip! I completed the trail SOBO from Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney portal and from July 16th to the 31st. This year was a heavy snowfall year which made for some snowy passes and high/fast flowing rivers and creeks, but it also made for an exceptionally beautiful trail! Saw the most beautiful views, met the best people, and had one of the most memorable experiences of my life. Make time to do this at some point in your life, would recommend to anyone!

Absolutely life changing!

My wife and I hiked the JMT NOBO via Whitney Portal to Happy Isles in Yosemite, with a resupply over Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley. With the resupply our total mileage was 238 miles.Beautiful weather the entire 21 days

Joined up with this trail on my way back down from Nevada Falls and it has some really great views. I recommend taking Mist Trail up and this one back down to the Valley. I was glad I did it that way because I got some amazing photos on this hike.

I love that trail. I wish I was that forest ranger who worked out of the post in Evolution Valley.

Whoa Nelly!!!!

One of the most incredible things I've ever seen. astounding.

Did this while I was hiking the PCT. Summit Whitney. Great two weeks.

I hiked the JMT in summer of 2016. Solo. North Bound in 25 days. By far, the hardest thing I had ever done to date. An incredible empowering experience that I'll never quite be able to do a good job of putting into words. Unforgettable! If you're thinking about it. Do it. Go for it. After you do your homework and preparation.