Joaquin Miller Park Loop

Joaquin Miller Park Loop is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Oakland, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail network offers a plethora of options. Explore the Palo Seco Creek, and Cinderella creek while looking for wildflowers and the occasional deer. A popular option is to take the Sinawik trail to the Castle Park Trail, and return via the Sequoia Bayview Trail and the Sunset Trail.

Mountain bikers called Cinderella trail a bike trail and were pretty hazardous to hikers.

Beautiful Redwoods here. Lots of history behind the man responsible for this park. Not always about the view. Writer, Poet he was a traveler. This was established around 1870 . Great hiking/biking trails. I was here just this past summer.

Nice sunset. Some steep and rocky sections. Watch for mountain bikers

Great forest scenes and trails, moderate ups and downs.

love it here!! one of my favourite places to come in the bay area.

Great park. Some great views. If you stay on the paved path its a little less then 2miles. However, if you follow some of the other trails, you can get a little more of a workout. Not many hills & they are small. Dogs allowed on trail. Big bonus for me.

We hiked the Sunset Trail to the Bayview trail and came back down the mountain via Chaparral trail. the canopied trails were great coupled with the cool weather and great views.

We will be returning soon!

Did the Sanawik Loop Trail and part of the Sunset trail. Sanawik takes you through more forest type nature while the Sunset Trail has some amazing views of Oakland and San Francisco. Highly recommend both trails. Sunset is probably more kid friendly.

We went up through the Sunset Trail and at the end of the trail, it recorded 2 miles. We were trying to find the loop back from Sunset Trail but it was a dead end after the goat farm. So we went back down Sunset and took the Sunset Loop Trail which we should have done to begin with. We took the Sequoia Bayview Trail which was supposed to take us to Cinderella Trail and down back to Sunset. But we couldn't find Cinderella Trail so we took the Fern Ravine Trail that connected us back to Sunset. All in all, a total of 5.6mi-- 2 miles up and 3.6 mo looping down with up to about 1200ft elevation. We will do this again and start with the loop and find Cinderella Trail for the complete loop as the map shows.

I'm new to hiking, but I've done three hikes out at this park. To the person who commented there are no views... it's a very big park and on my first two hikes I came across beautiful views. If you go down to the meadow (right inside the entrance on Sanborn) and follow the Sunset Trail to the left, you will in fact come upon a view looking over all of Oakland, Alameda, SF - both bridges, etc. There is a little green bench at the top so you can sit down and enjoy the view. If you instead park by the Woodminster Theater and walk down all the steps (where the waterfalls once were - the drought has emptied this park of most of the water sadly) and then follow the fire road, you come to Lookout Point. Also a great view of Oakland. I, sadly, cannot figure out how to do the Sunset Loop, as the only trails I've found are "Sunset Loop S" which is not maybe a mile long and you end up back at the meadow. Someday I hope to have it mastered! Lol. Sorry for the novel length review. Oh and yes, watch out for bikers if you're just hiking. The trails are narrow almost every time I encounter them. Plenty of nice folks out there. I only have been in the evening, but I highly recommend it. I haven't gotten lost yet (which is a miracle!)

This place is great! It has two dog park, beautiful nature sceneries, a few little water creeks, and places to BBQ/tables. Definitely more of a family hike instead of true work out, not exactly what I had in mind but truly enjoyed it. Also, my fur child loved running around and got him tired enough to call this hike a success! Hope you enjoy as well.

Great hike today! Mild to moderate if you do the loop from sunset to cinderella to sequoia. Trail markers aren't great so it's helpful to have a map.

Nice redwood groves and some good views, but this does not compete with other close by trails/parks.

Great moderate hike. Should be done counterclockwise as recommended. Cinderella Trail has loose gravel, some short but narrow claustrophobic portions, steep gradient in a couple of places. Id prefer to come down on it rather than going up, hence counterclockwise.
The trails are all very well marked, however, Cinderella trail can be difficult to find. make sure you have GPS phone with a downloaded map.

Fantastic park, but it's not Yosemite for sure. Great local preserve.

Hidden gem!! Better then Muir Woods!!

Busy trail. Bikers running through very narrow paths and almost resulted in accident. Steep crumbly descent in same parts of Cinderella trail. Decent forest views. No scenic lookouts.

Nice hiking but lots of mountain bikes so not good for little kids.

The trail was flat on some and uphill on others. Sometimes the trail was not easy to follow.

I hike this location pretty regularly, its really easy