Jesusita Trail

Jesusita Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Barbara, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From the 101 freeway exit Las Positas Rd near downtown Santa Barbara. Turn toward the mountains. Drive on Las Positas Rd past State Street at which point it becomes San Roque Rd. Continue up San Roque Rd and park at the William B. Cater Filtration Plant. The filtration plant is 1.94 miles from the freeway.

Excellent. A little tiring once you pass the private property water fuel up (I’m in average shape). That stretch and the switchbacks had me zapped! Parts of the trail are pretty narrow, and flowering plants line them (read: bees!). Lots of bees. It was not a problem for me, but if you are allergic, keep this in mind! There’s not a lot of avoiding them.

Views at the top are amazing. Once the trail ends, keep going down the utility road when you see power lines. You’ll see a little sub trail off to the right that leads to inspiration point.

When in doubt, keep going up!

This is a great hike, my first one in Santa Barbara. There were times where I felt like I was so isolated I could be in another country, in the forest, and I loved that. It was difficult for me, cannot speak for all but there were some parts where the path is very small. There are some really beautiful views. If you go to UCSB, extra plus because you can see campus from the top.

It was the first my trail in Santa Barbara . Love it. Little more that 7 ml. It took me 3:15 hrs. I’m an active person and I cannot say it was hard for me . Was a nice sunny day and the view was gorgeous !

It was my first time hiking in the Santa Barbara area and I really liked this hike. I think it could have been a 5 star hike if I had hiked it on a clear day.

Parking- we easily found parking along the side of the road on the right side near the trailhead...which is on the left side of the road

Trail- the sign at the start states that the trail is 4.2 miles with 641 ft of elevation gain...not sure what that is based on, but if you are like me and wish to take this trail to Inspiration Point and back it was 7.1 miles for me with an elevation gain of 1,600 ft...so quite a bit of difference there; the trail is easy to follow and the first 1.5 goes north and sticks close to the creek and the water was running with some recent rain; the trail then leaves the trees and heads in a NE direction through a more open sort of grassland area and you will cross a road and some private property nearby and then the incline kicks in for the final mile or so with some switchbacks up to Inspiration Point...which I didn't see any signs but I had my app to verify we had made it there and there were some other hikers there already but sadly there was no view to enjoy since it was an extremely overcast and foggy morning (4/2/18) and visibility was maybe 200 yards so there was no view of the ocean or island sadly; the hike was green, with the sound of running water for most of the time, and great views of the mountains to the northeast...I just wished we could have seen the ocean...FYI dogs are allowed on this trail off leash which doesn't bother me but might bother some

*the second half of the hike we really worked up a sweat not only because it was steeper but it was very humid and there was a light mist/drizzle

Of course bring plenty of water and hiking shoes or shoes with good traction, trekking poles are not needed for this hike. Plan on this hike taking about 3-4 hours. I would rate this as moderately difficult.

I went on a very misty/foggy day so the views at the top of Inspiration point weren't that great, but the journey there and back made up for it! Lots of ravines, boulders, wooded streams, and then the winding turns making your way up the mountain made for a great walk. The last mile or two have very little shade so bring sun protection and plenty of water.

This is a great hike if you're looking for a moderately difficult hike, nothing fancy. Parts of it are challenging enough to make you sweat, it's easy to follow, and there's a rewarding view at the top. We hiked it midday on a Friday and the trail wasn't too busy. It's very well marked. The creeks were flowing and the foliage was lush, but this is early April so I expect it will be dry as a bone later in the summer. Speaking of foliage, there's a ton of poison oak so keep an eye out if you have little ones. My little guys (ages 4-9) hiked it no problem, tho we had to constantly remind them to avoid the poison oak. Parking was really easy too, just along the road opposite the filtration plant. I'd recommend starting early and packing plenty of water.

I’ve loved this trail for years. It is enough of a challenge to make you feel like you accomplished something. I love the pace of it and the carried terrain. If it has rained you might find some mud, but the creek will be flowing and provide amazing acoustics for your hike. I love to do this with friends and even the preteens like this one! Highly recommend, and start at the water treatment if you want to cut it to 6.6 miles and about 1500’ of elevation.

kool hike friendly vibe easy access to parking✌

This is a great long hike. Especially nice that dogs can be off leash. Winds through nice forest and cool scenery before making it to the top of inspiration point. Parking access is definitely easier than the inspiration point hike.

Very simple hike!

Lovely hike with varied terrain to Inspiration Point which lives up to it’s name. We saw 4 Channel Islands. Good signage at junctions to avoid wrong turns. If you drive a sedan to the filtration plant lot, be sure to park on the right side. The left side has a high curb and will scrape the bottom of your car. SUV’s do great.

It was a brutal, technical climb. Large rocks that you would get caught up on and loose your momentum. Super sick downhill on the way back. Watch out for the slippery, leafy edges on the 30-50 ft cliffs on the side of the trail. Bring lots of food and water and Gatorades because you will lose all your electrolytes on the climb. Amazing views at the top! Thanks to those people who gave me crackers and marshmallows. You saved my butt. Wouldn't have made it without you.

great trail that leads up the back side to inspiration point. some mt bikers

An Ok trail, some nice areas, easy access.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Def a more strenuous way to get to inspiration point but it was a great day for a bday hike! Enjoyed the view from the top and the extra miles!!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

This trail kicked my butt!!! I would do it again for the beautiful view at inspiration point.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Pretty Technical to ride solo

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Love this hike, tons of shade, near a nice creek, passes by a stable with some friendly horses in it, variety in terrain and views, only moderately difficult. It has plenty of parking at the trail head, and dogs are allowed to hike off-leash. It ends at the Inspiration Point overlook.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Monday, September 12, 2016

Strong climbs! Amazing views!

Saturday, July 30, 2016

It started off as a pretty easy/moderate trail but once you get past a little rest area it gets pretty good. Took me about 2 hours to get to the top, had kid with me. Take lots of water. The views once you get to inspiration point are beautiful.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Decent hike today - albeit a little hot (mid 80s).

Sunday, March 20, 2016

I think this is not the full Jesusita trail but the smaller half that splits off to the right rather than the left.

Use the same trailhead.

Then you take Arroyo Burro left at the first fork and it takes you down to Steven's Park with a very well-kept and clean bathroom.

This is a short

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

We hiked both Inspiration and Jesusita Trail. Though this trail is initially paved, it does become hiking terrain. There are stunning ocean and city views from the top, so it is worth the trip. Just a heads up, when parking on San Roque Road, be sure to be aware of the NO PARKING SIGNS and also beware of the white lines when parking. If you park outside the white lines, the neighbors will call the police. Due to fire hazards, cars need to stay inside the white lines in case fire trucks need to get through. Also, there are no bathrooms once you get to the trail nor trashcans, so be sure to bring a small backpack to keep your trash and bring plenty of water.

Monday, December 29, 2014

Ran this trail today with my friend who had previously ran it. Being the novice trail runner I could only manage a decent effort throughout, running and hiking up to Inspiration Point. Some parts are flat enough but other parts are rocky so watch out for your footing when running. Gorgeous scenery throughout, forest at the bottom, a meadow too, and then the view from the top is incredible on a clear and cold morning. The parking at the trailhead is sufficient fr about a dozen cars so either go early or plan on parking down San Roque and hiking on the street to the trailhead.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Trailhead - now corrected on AllTrails - is located off San Roque Rd and free street parking is available across from the trailhead. Well maintained trail with plenty of shade. Good for summer. When you get close to the top then you are exposed to the sun. The trail is used by hikers and trail runners. It's a dog-friendly trail so bring your pooch. I will be back! For more details, http://hikinggirlwithdog.com/2014/07/21/jesusita-trail/

Saturday, July 12, 2014

There is no way this trail is 1.5 hours - we went about 3.25 miles when we came across someone and found out we still had about a mile to go. Pressed on time so we didn't go all the way to the top - decent hike overall.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Don't follow the map link from All Trails. Took us to the totally wrong area. Find Santa Barbara Mission and head towards the mountains behind it. first 3/4 of mile are paved. Inspiration Point is the trail name and actual destination. Jesusita Trail is there and labeled but not sure why.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Good trail for your dog.

Monday, February 17, 2014

The Jesusita Trail is correctly rated as a moderately graded hike. There are plenty of switchbacks to make this a pleasant hike. Bring plenty of water and some snacks . At the peak or at the end of the hike you'll find yourself peering at Santa Barbara beautiful coastal region. Parking a little difficult try to get there early or you will find yourself with a pre hike.