Jennie Lake Trail

Jennie Lake Trail is a 16 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stony Creek Village, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, fishing, horses, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.0 miles Elevation Gain: 3,008 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a dirt trail with gravel and rock in places. There is an tricky spot about three miles in - a small pass like area that is used as a rest stop. If you're not careful you may miss that the trail does not pass through this area but to the side of it. Higher up there are some rocky areas that have cairns to mark the trail so keep and eye out.

Great trail, well maintained, easy to find the trail. The hike to the lake was mostly going up, but it was definitely worth it. Fish didnt seem to bite on any of my spinners. Lots of great camping spots around the lake. Overall this was a good hike, stayed 1 night.

Lost fishing lines everywhere, crowded, and one of the members of our group got really ill after swimming. People bring their loud obnoxious dogs. The all trails map is incorrect/needs to be updated. Seems like the forest service has closed off the short connecting trail that lets this be a short loop.

My 13 YO and I hiked to Jennie Lake from the 14S16 parking lot 8/31-9/2. My SAT watch read 5.6 to the lake one way. I’m only reviewing the trail from parking lot to Jennie Lake. Trail is in great condition. Campgrounds we’re clean, fire rings were plentiful around the lake. Finding a place to relieve yourself is difficult at the lake. One must walk up a hill out of the campsite areas to do so, small inconvenience. Fishing was amazing, all fish were surprisingly rainbow trout caught on power bait and they were all 12” or more in size, fished the west side of the lake only. Saw a few groups hike the west side of the lake up along the ridge to the summit of the mountain sitting high in the southern direction from the lake, so it leads me to believe it’s fairly easy to achieve the summit in a reasonable amount of time. Bugs were not bad either. Holidays at this area are packed so parking at the trailhead was a pain in a large pickup, but we knew this and arrived early. It quickly fills up tho so earlier the better. The access road 14S16 is for high clearance vehicles only.

went 8/9-8/11. Hiked up on a Friday afternoon and spent a night at a campsite just across the trail from poison meadow. Hiked the rest up to Jennie the next morning. Happily surprised to find very few people at the lake. Spent one night and returned the following morning

Hiked twice, challenging trail, can be difficult following trail after poop out pass down the rocky slope. All worth it once you get to Jennie Lake

Well traveled easy to navigate. Very rocky past poop-out pass. Lake is beautiful with lots of established campsites.

Did this trail as an out and back to Jennie Lake on 7/4-7/5. Would rate this trail as moderate rather than difficult. The trail itself is a nice hike through the forest to get to the lakes. This trail was missing the wow factor for me, as there are no outstanding topographical features, such as mountain peaks, on or close to the trail (the tall mountain peaks are visible from far away). Definitely doable without a GPS, however the trail seems like it has not been maintained for a few years. Trail was mostly snow free until near Jennie Lake. The snow made it too difficult to find the trail to JO pass so we turned around and did this trail as an out and back to Jennie Lake.

Sun Nov 04 2018

Love this hike!

Mon Aug 27 2018

I came in from Lodgepole Campground and did this as an out and back. There is definitely a good elevation gain and I'm not entirely sure of the mileage, but it was really worth it. There were almost no bugs at the lake and with how still the lake was the full moon shined extra bright! The fire wood on the peninsula is pretty sparse so you may need to trot out a little further than you'd like to gather some wood to burn.

we did the trail without map, back and fourth in a day! wish we had known there was campsites at the lake - it would have been a lovely place to wake up. highly recommended

Tue Jul 31 2018

This trail map is very misleading. The whole loop adds about 7 miles to go via JO's Pass and then back to Weaver Lake. We were at Jennie Lake and it took us almost all day to head to Weaver Lake. The AllTrails map is incorrect.

Wed Jun 20 2018

The hike took us about 6 hours from the trail head to Jennie lake. The hike was very strenuous there are some shade parts and some sunny part. We did the loop from Jennie lakes but we couldn’t find the trail that loop around to weaver lake so we had to boulder hop down the mountain luckily I was looking on the map on my GPS to find my way to Weaver Lake

Wed Dec 27 2017

For ‘city folk’, you’ll not find more bang for your buck. Great views, decent distance, pristine lake and views. I’ve not been back in a few years, but hope to get back again someday.

Fri Nov 24 2017

Jennie Lakes is a great day hike!! Easy hike and great views. We went in the spring, did a polar bear plunge (BRR)!

Wed Oct 18 2017

We started from the big meadow parking lot (adds a little more then a mile to your hike- try to find the fox meadow trailhead, spits you out near the trailhead for Jennie lakes) and backpacked in to Jennie lake. The hike there was mainly uphill and took us 4 hours. We reached the lake at 330pm to find three groups already setting up camp, which worried us but luckily there were plenty of camp spots dispersed around the lake we could camp at. The lake was gorgeous and there were tons of trout that we saw! As it got later we made a fire and cooked dinner. It was a perfect one nighter. We left at 830am on Sunday and got back to the parking lot at 1030. The hike back down was extremely easy since it was mostly downhill. Great hike and next time we will do the hole loop!

Tue Aug 29 2017

Beautiful hike. We slept Friday night at Big Meadows campground and then left for the trailhead in the morning. The hike only took about 3 hours, and Poop Out Pass was not as difficult (in my opinion) as some described. The lake was gorgeous but there were at least six other camps while we were up there. The fishing it great! Caught rainbow trout using Power Bait.

Mon Aug 14 2017

How do you get to the fox meadow parking lot?

Sat Aug 12 2017

Great day hike. Good trail variety from strolls through the trees to scrambling over granite out-cropings. The Jennie Lake didn't disapoint. Clear, cold and spectacular granite back drop.

Sat Jul 15 2017

Did a quick overnight at Jennie Lake 13 July. all trails well marked, no snow to speak of. Lake was clear, and mosquito free. Decent crowd for a Thursday. Ran out of time to do the loop via JO pass, but ranger posted info said there was still big snow and fast water up that way. Would recommend Jennie Lake for overnight backpack, great workout, especially going up Poop Out Pass.

Mon Jun 26 2017

Did this with my 8 year old on his first multi night backpacking trip. He carried his own pack weighs down at about 10lbs. This was the first time To Jennie lake for both of us. Started out of fox meadow. Trail was great until top of poop out pass then lost trail with snow. Thank goodness for GPS locator on All-Trails app. Kept us in the ball park of the trail as we climbed over snow banks. With all the snow this year the lake was still mostly iced over and any little stream was now a river but we were able to find a nice camp site away from the lake (all lake sites were under snow still) and was only 3min walk to lake where we caught two small rainbows. Had the whole place to ourselves!!!! It was an amazing trip.

Wed Jun 21 2017

I may be a little biased because I patrol this area, but this hike is beautiful, can be challenging, and is sure to give some amazing views. Right now there is tons of snow and the creeks are nearly raging rivers. However, this trail (versus the whole loop) is the best access point to Jennie Lake!

Tue May 09 2017

I've hiked to Jennie lake but entering at lodgepole on the Twin Lakes trail...its a tough trail approximately 8 miles...if you feel you won't make it over the J.O. Pass you can camp at Clover Creek about 6 miles in and tackle the pass to Jennie lake the next day...I made it in one day before but was exhausted...this lake is beautiful and I only rate it a 4 because I love solitude and this lake is usually pretty busy in the summer...

Thu Jul 14 2016

Great hike....There is a lot of foot traffic though. I would recommend for trail runners. Very clean lake with beautiful views.

Thu Jul 14 2016

Hiked thus trail probably ten times, and run the entire loop once. A beautiful Lake, great location.

Wed Jul 06 2016

I enjoyed a 3 day trip out here. There are some slippery spots but it is definitely worth the steep inclines. Not as many people as I'm use to seeing on other hikes, which was a nice change.

Tue Jul 05 2016

If your up for a challenge, Jennie lake is the trail for you. We started from Stoney creek and its 2.5 miles of steady stright up hill, after that it gets a little easy for a little less than a mile of stright trail. Then it's another 2 likes of rocky up hill terrain. Last mile is all down hill with amazing views of granite rock all around. Lake was beautiful & sparking clean.

Wed Jun 29 2016

It's a steady uphill hike. Take your time hiking up if you're not in the best of shape. There are some great views throughout the hike.

Mon Jun 06 2016

Son and I decided to go on a simple overnight hike to break in the summer. Chose Jennie Lake out of convenience since it’s about a 45 minute drive to Big Meadows from my house. Despite the option for the shorter Fox Meadow trailhead hike I opted for Big Meadows which apparently adds about 1.5 miles. We started off strong moving at a pretty good pace and although slowed up a bit towards the last part of the climb we reached the top of Poop out Pass with relatively no issues. Working our way down towards Jennie, locating the trail became somewhat tricky with the winter snows melting away into running streams that at times flowed down parts of the trail and at others obscured different parts. This definitely slowed us up, and despite our focus to stay on the trail we found ourselves doubling back a couple times. Once we grew closer to the lake snow cover became a new challenge covering large parts of the trail. The hike ended up taking us a little longer than expected but with minimal hiking experience we accomplished what we set out to do and we were well rewarded with the beauty of Jennie Lake.