Jennie and Weaver Lakes Loop Trail

Jennie and Weaver Lakes Loop Trail is a 15.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stony Creek Village, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 15.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,992 feet Route Type: Loop

A backpacking loop to two subalpine lakes just outside of Sequoia National Park. This trip does a loop through the Jennie Lakes Wilderness, visiting two subalpine lakes suitable for fishing at the height of summer. It can be done as a long overnighter but is better as a 2.5 day trip, spending the night at each lake. The recommended route is to go to Jennie Lake first and then to Weaver to reduce the amount of climbing. Start at the Fox Meadow trailhead, which is reachable via a tolerable-for-passenger-cars dirt road. If you would prefer pavement, the Big Meadows trailhead adds about a mile and 400 feet of climbing on either end. At a creekside junction with the Weaver Lake Trail, stay on your side of the creek and head up towards Jennie Lake rather than going towards Weaver Lake. Work through the forest around Shell Mountain, breaking out to views of the Kaweah Divide to the south. Do the gentle climb over Poop Out Pass, and then drop and climb again (more strenuously this time) to subalpine and popular Jennie Lake. Campsites are located on the north and west sides of the lake. From Jennie Lake, head east on the trail, climbing towards the ridgeline and JO Pass. Enjoy the ridgeline views until you reach the pass, where you get a nice view of Mount Silliman and Sequoia National Park. From JO Pass, head north and down, making sure to follow the route towards Weaver Lake rather than Rowell Meadow. Reach the badly-signed intersection with the Weaver Lake-Rowell Meadow trail and head west (left), soon turning south and dropping precipitously into Boulder Creek Canyon - enjoy the views of the Kaweah Divide where Jennie Lake is hiding from your view. There are a few crossings of forks of Boulder Creek before you climb and ascend the north side of Shell Mountain, regaining much of the altitude you lost from Jennie Lake. Reach the Weaver Lake junction and head south 0.2 mile to the lake. While smaller than Jennie, it is just as pretty. From Weaver Lake, head back to the trail junction and continue the way you had been heading, eventually crossing a creek and reaching a junction with the Jennie Lake trail. Head back down to the Fox Meadow trailhead.

closed
13 minutes ago

I want to like this trail but can’t, sections were closed off that weren’t reflected on AllTrails, there was trash at the campsite, people had annoying dogs that wouldn’t stop barking at near by campers, the campsite was packed with some people camping as close as 15 feet from our site. Most importantly do not swim in this lake I got sick, after taking a quick deep. 1/5.

solid trek!

This trail was amazing. It was a little tough and from Big Meadow. The entire loop is probably around 18 miles. This is judged by the miles tracked on my wife and friends IPhones. There is a lot of up, but that’s what you get with mountain hiking. Four of us and my dog did the loop in 2.5 days. We started each day at around 11 am and made it to Jennie lake at 5pm and Weaver lake at 6pm. We went counter clockwise. We are beginners and all made it with just a little soreness and some blisters. The views and lakes are worth the trip. We admired Jennie and actually swam in Weaver. We saw very limited wildlife. The days were warm and the nights were cold, but not unbearable. Some of the down trees made the trail tricky but not very often. A few short minutes looking around and you’ll find it. Especially leaving Jennie lake to Jo’s Pass. I would suggest getting any earlier start to have more lake time.

A friend and i hiked this loop on a 2 1/2 day trip at the end of July. We parked at Big Meadow, not caring to test my Prius's ground clearance against the forest road to Fox Meadow. Trail conditions were good on the sections between the lakes and the trailhead. The conditions along the 9-ish mile section between JL and WL were somewhat worse, but still quite good (a few stretches were somewhat overgrown, and a couple of the tree falls were a bit more difficult to pass. This sometimes rocky section of the trail does not appear to be often used (although the camp sites at Jennie and Weaver were both packed, we saw no one on this section of the trail). Some of the best vistas were to be had on this section, as well. There were several creek crossings, but it was late July, so we could easily step across each of them dry-footed. My friend found the bugs on the light side, but I found the mosquitos in camp to be plentiful (only one bite, but I had to use picaradin and permathryn treated clothing to keep them at bay). I would be unlikely to hike this trail again, just because it's too popular.

Just did this loop last weekend 7/19-7/21. Most of the snow was gone but still had some patches. We only lost the trail once but it was because of downed trees, which there are a ton of. There are a TON of mosquitos so bring bug spray and you’re going to want the deep woods with deet. We still got ate alive with it. It was a fantastic hike despite that. We did Jennie Lake the first night then Weaver the second. Beautiful views. Had our dog with us and he had no troubles. I think we clocked in the trail to be around 17 miles total.

If you have a truck or a vehicle that is higher from the ground I suggest you take Route 14S16 to get the the trail head (it is extremely rocky and bumpy), it’ll save you some uphill milage and if you plan on hiking to Jennie you’ll appreciate that you did. My group decided to hike to Jennie. It was tough! Pack light if you tend to stay overnight. Plenty of water along the way to fill up. Make sure to bring your water purifier. Still some snow near the lake, but not much. We placed our water bottles in the snow on the hotter day. Was real nice! Fishing was excellent! Caught a total of 8. Could’ve caught WAY more but the mosquitos were on the prowl. Oh and the mosquitos... fair warning but you will be swarmed by them from start to finish. I can’t tell you the amount of repellent I had put on myself and still ended up with 20+ bites. Yes 20! On my face, arms, back, you name it. Even the top of my head! I have thick hair too. Some people get bit more than others and unfortunately, I am one of those people. So if you are one of those people, it could be a miserable time for you. The hike was amazing. The views were beautiful. The lake was absolutely gorgeous. If I were to ever come back it would be at a time way before the mosquitos show up.

Hiked to Jennie and back 6/30-7/2 camping along the way. The trail is currently very difficult to follow due to wash out and snow. The run off has turned a lot of the trail into a creek and the snow patches are as high as 4 ft near the lake. I highly recommend hiking in a group if you're set on going now as you will need to team navigate. My group lost trail more times than I can count! I also recommend a compass and map (because the snow is very discombobulating), waterproof hiking shoes, WARM clothes, bug spray and trekking poles. Hope this helps you!

I just completed this 06/30/19-07/01/19. I started around 9am from the trailhead and went clockwise toward Weaver Lake. The hike to Weaver Lake was enjoyable and I passed about 10 people (and two dogs) hiking out. I was warned that there was snow after Weaver Lake making the trail difficult, but continued on. I hiked about 3mi/hr to Weaver Lake. That was definitely an understatement! The most difficult part of the trail was from Weaver Lake to Jeannie Lake. There were snow mounds blocking the trail as well as snow melt that had washed out the trail. There were about 6 stream crossings. They were pretty rapid, and a few went up mid thigh, but I was able to cross safely. There is NO way getting out of getting wet. I also seemed constantly having to step in puddles along the way. It was a slow and steady progress. I used the AllTrails dotted trail, the red trail and any foot prints I could find to stay on track. Every mile or so there would be a tiny section of trail that would appear (which would excite me!!) The view at Jeannie Lake was AMAZING!! And well worth the hike. I ended up hiking about a mile an hr to get to Jeannie Lake (the remaining 7 miles). There were signs forbidding camping right on the lake. Though I knew I would not get caught, I felt guilty, so I moved back to camp. The next day I had a little over 5 miles to hike out. For the first three miles was much the same as the last 7 miles. It was pretty puddly and a lot snowy. There were stream crossings, but nothing dramatic. It was slow and I was constantly having to readjust. Though there were a lot more foot prints for me to follow. About the last two miles I was about to get back to moving along. I got back to the trailhead around 10am. The mosquitos were out in full force. They even bite me on my head. I hiked this with my 7.5# dog. Do not underestimate her size (she got carried over the streams). We hike a lot. I do not recommend this for a casual hiker or for anyone that wants to just have a fun adventure. Come back when there is no snow. If you are up for a challenge, this is great! I do recommend going clockwise. This way you can camp at Jeannie Lakes (more impressive than Weaver Lake), also you get the stream crossings out of the way.

Saturday, September 15, 2018

Great loop hike. Recommend to anyone wanting just a few days in the woods. Bring a map. More turnoffs than I expected.

Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Planned for one night at Jennie and one at Weaver lake. Jennie lake was so beautiful, ended up staying both nights there. A little crowded due to labor day weekend but still enjoyed it. Plenty of campsites even when crowded. Hammocked both nights under the stars. No mosquitos! Beautiful weather. Highs of 70s and lows in 40s. Hike was moderate. Under 6 miles from fox meadow trailhead to Jennie. The forest road to trailhead is in bad shape. Go slow and stay away from the sides as the bushes are thorny and will scratch up your car. Sawyer mini was enough for filtering water from the lake. There are fish. Saw them but didn't see any getting caught by at least 5 people trying to fish over the two days we were there.

Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Wow! What a trail. We split this up over three days and two nights, going counterclockwise around the loop and hitting Jennie Lake on the first day. Happy to report that when we hiked, we did not meet a SINGLE mosquito on the entire trail! Unprecedented. I’m a mosquito magnet, and I didn’t need any spray. The ranger said it was because the nights were finally getting cold enough. Anyway! Jennie Lake was amazing, though a little busy thanks to the holiday weekend. If you’re continuing on to Weaver Lake after, make sure to stock up on water before you go. Water sources are few and far between, and we really only passed one on the 9 or so like trek to the next lake. Weaver Lake was also stunningly beautiful, though also busy thanks to being only a few miles from the trailhead. It’s also very picked over, firewood-wise, so maybe start gathering on your way in!

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Did a 3 night 4 day trip with my 12 year old and his friend and dad. We went from Jennie lake around to Weaver lake. The lakes are beautiful and pretty warm. On the weekend it was really busy but by Sunday the crowds had cleared out. Saw a good amount of trout in the lakes. Only 1 stream down by boulder creek was flowing. Plan your water accordingly.

Friday, August 24, 2018

I definitely recommend this hike to anyone who wants to get out and get some miles under them. Did this as an older trip for our local Boy Scout troop. I took the suggestion of going counter clock wise on the loop, hitting Jennie Lake first. I highly recommend that, not only did we get a lot of the elevation out of the way but the first 6 miles is a great accomplishment on the first day. I was surprised about how many people were on the trail and at the lakes, but that didn't detour from the enjoyment of being there. Beautiful back country that is slipped in between to great parks. We spent a full day at Jennie Lake, before continuing. I highly recommend making the scramble up to the 9600 peak that over looks Jennie Lake. The third day was a quick 9 miles to Weaver Lake. Enjoyable dips in both were a great reward. Overall it was a great trip. Nine In, Nine Out!!!

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Myself (26M) and my girlfriend (23F) did this beautiful loop in 2.5 days going counter clockwise stopping the first night at Jennie Lake and the second at weaver lake. I was a wilderness guide for 3 years and this was my girlfriends first backpacking trip ever so here are my two cents. We decided to stay at the Big Meadow campground the night before to acclimate to the higher elevation and one thing I highly recommend if you decide to do this in the late summer is to bring water jugs in your car for that first night as the creek isn't running and the water is still and extremely dirty. I filtered the water and added iodine tablets for safety measures but as a 3 year guide that was some of the dirtiest water i've had to filter, luckily no gastrointestinal problems for either of us. The weight of your packs are going to dictate a lot of how tough the inclines are. A net elevation gain of 3,000 feet with a 25lb pack on is pretty intense so if youre doing this with 25+lb bags like we did I would rate this more as moderate/hard. We are both active people, in shape outside of backpacking and we were both pretty sore after this hike (bring plenty of moleskin too to protect your feet from any hot spots/blisters from happening!). Keep in mind the distances listed are from the fox meadow trailhead NOT the Big Meadow trailhead, if you leave from big meadow it's another 3.2 miles total so roughly a 19mile loop instead of 16 mile. The drive in to the fox meadow trailhead is pretty bumpy so make sure you have a car that can handle bumpy non paved dirt roads. The days were sunny and around 72 degrees, in the sun it was hot but there are plenty of shady spots to stop and relax. Make sure to have a shirt that can wick sweat, bring a hat, and baby powder to reduce chaffing (especially for the guys out there). The nighttime dropped to around 50 degrees. If you're a person who gets cold easily then bring a good jacket and some good night sweats/pants. My girlfriend gets cold really easily and has a 20 degree bag (more of a 40 degree bag) and had to wear her pants, long sleeve, down jacket, and beanie to bed even in a tent with a rain cover on for insulation. The camping spots at the lakes are pretty scarce with firewood but we managed to have one the first night at Jennie, so I would be prepared with a lantern or similiar in case you're too tired to hike out for wood. There are mosquitos (surprise surprise you're camping by water where they breed like rabbits) but long sleeve clothes with a 40% max deet will do the trick to keep them away at night. The water sources were plentiful enough just make sure to fill up every time you cross one, the lakes were absolutely beautiful with hardly any campers during the monday-wednesday we went and the water was pristine. No sight of bears or snakes the whole trip and no problems with animals getting into our food (we used a bear canister), but you can also do bear hangs if you'd like. I highly recommend doing the loop to jennie then weaver, as the first two days are tough and the last day is a nice leisurely hike out. The first day to jennie was about 5-6 miles, the hike to weaver was about 9 miles and the hike out was about 2 miles. Overall a great backpacking trip and would recommend to those who are decently in shape and would caution against bringing heavy packs as the inclines will make you pay for it.

Monday, August 13, 2018

My very first backpacking trip and it was great! We did the whole loop over a 3 day period. Started our hike from big meadows trailhead and spent first night at Jennie lake. Don’t believe whatever distances you have read here. They are woefully wrong. Jennie lake is 8 miles. The next length to weaver lake is 9.5. Finally the last leg back to the big meadows parking lot is 3.5. Total loop is 21 miles. Don’t know why this site can’t get their distances correct. Beautiful hike. Great weather. Lousy fishing at both lakes. Me thinks both lakes have been fished out this late in the summer. Always stock up on water wherever u come across it. Many streams are dry this time of year.

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

We had a wonderful time hiking this loop. We spent the first night at weaver lake and the next at Jennie lake. The water was clear and cool. Not to cold, perfect for swimming. The landscape was breathtaking. The hiking was a bit challenging, but moderate enough that I’m working on plans to take my youngest sister and some of her friends out to Jennie lakes for their first backpacking trip.