Jennie and Weaver Lakes Loop Trail

Jennie and Weaver Lakes Loop Trail is a 16 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stony Creek Village, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A backpacking loop to two subalpine lakes just outside of Sequoia National Park. This trip does a loop through the Jennie Lakes Wilderness, visiting two subalpine lakes suitable for fishing at the height of summer. It can be done as a long overnighter but is better as a 2.5 day trip, spending the night at each lake. The recommended route is to go to Jennie Lake first and then to Weaver to reduce the amount of climbing. Start at the Fox Meadow trailhead, which is reachable via a tolerable-for-passenger-cars dirt road. If you would prefer pavement, the Big Meadows trailhead adds about a mile and 400 feet of climbing on either end. At a creekside junction with the Weaver Lake Trail, stay on your side of the creek and head up towards Jennie Lake rather than going towards Weaver Lake. Work through the forest around Shell Mountain, breaking out to views of the Kaweah Divide to the south. Do the gentle climb over Poop Out Pass, and then drop and climb again (more strenuously this time) to subalpine and popular Jennie Lake. Campsites are located on the north and west sides of the lake. From Jennie Lake, head east on the trail, climbing towards the ridgeline and JO Pass. Enjoy the ridgeline views until you reach the pass, where you get a nice view of Mount Silliman and Sequoia National Park. From JO Pass, head north and down, making sure to follow the route towards Weaver Lake rather than Rowell Meadow. Reach the badly-signed intersection with the Weaver Lake-Rowell Meadow trail and head west (left), soon turning south and dropping precipitously into Boulder Creek Canyon - enjoy the views of the Kaweah Divide where Jennie Lake is hiding from your view. There are a few crossings of forks of Boulder Creek before you climb and ascend the north side of Shell Mountain, regaining much of the altitude you lost from Jennie Lake. Reach the Weaver Lake junction and head south 0.2 mile to the lake. While smaller than Jennie, it is just as pretty. From Weaver Lake, head back to the trail junction and continue the way you had been heading, eventually crossing a creek and reaching a junction with the Jennie Lake trail. Head back down to the Fox Meadow trailhead.

I went up to Jenny Lake starting from the Big Meadows Trailhead on Sunday May 27th 2018 at 0930. The beginning of the trail at the trailhead was warm at probably 60 degrees with no clouds. It was a beautiful day when I began my ascent. There were a number of hikers along the way but since it was Memorial Day weekend I was expecting that. Once you get to the highest point on the trail you cross over to the north side and snow patches are still on the ground. A number of creeks are running, not very strong, and they're still passable but if you're not careful you will get your boots wet. There's one tricky part on this Trail when you're right at the summit as you're walking down the pass full of rocks are is a loan Redwood Sequoia that you come up on and there is a fallen branch laid along the left hand side of the tree. This is to let you know do not go to the left of that tree the trail actually continues to the right but it is very easy to mistake and if you continue to the left you are dumped into a very dangerous crevasse of sharp Jagged rocks. I've included a pic of it in my uploads.

This is one of the places on the trail that my alltrails Pro membership came in very handy. I had dropped my Verizon connection because there's no signal up there once you get to poop out pass and so I had intentionally downloaded my Jenny Lake Trail Loop map before leaving. Misses we're having that map on my phone using the GPS works wonderfully. The GPS is still able to track you no matter where you are in the outback Wilderness and you can see exactly where you are on the map. All trails Pro puts the trail on the map and so you can tell exactly where you are in relation to that trail even if the trail is washed out covered over or hidden underneath snow. That's why I knew that I was going the wrong way even though it was not obvious. I could tell very easily on the All Trails map after walking 10 feet off the path that I was no longer going the right way. This is not the first time all trails downloaded maps have saved me from countless hours of wandering around lost. And since they offered a Year's membership for half price during Memorial Day weekend I snapped that up really fast!

At Jenny Lake itself the north side of the lake wall is covered in snow but the camping areas are completely cleared.
This Trail is a very nice Trail for the most part well-marked but there are sketchy points that your All Trails map will come in handy. I would say that the trail is accurately rated at moderate and you should be aware that elevation makes it very difficult right before the summit for about three-quarters of a mile. I did my Day hike to Jenny Lake and back and it was about 13 and a half miles and it took me about six and a half hours all together not including the time I stood around taking pictures and sightseeing.

Once I got to Jenny Lake it was very cold I could see my breath and it felt like it was in the very low 50s if not high 40s. on the return back to Big Meadows Trailhead it even began to sprinkle as a cloud that moved in and the temperature had dropped perhaps 10 degrees. It was beautiful. Check out my pics!

We did the entire loop
hike on one long day (12 hours). We went to Jennie Lake first then continued onto JO pass. If you decide to do this be aware that after JO pass you descend about 3 miles into a canyon then ascend out to Weaver Lake. This last portion of the hike is very hard and tiring. We almost didn’t make it and we are in decent shape. Also start early. We left the car at 10am and had to walk out in the dark. Awesome hike highly recommend! Maybe doing it in more than one day would be better next time.

Awesome hike and pretty lake !

Attempted this loop 5/17-5/19 2018. Parked at Big Meadows trailhead and hiked in to Weaver Lake on 5/17. I was the only one there for the night which was quite nice. There are a number of campsites and fire rings already set up here. Just make sure you get your fire permit from the Hume Lake District ranger station on your way up the mountain. My one complaint about Weaver was that there was a bit of garbage scattered around. My guess is that this is a pretty popular day hike from Big Meadows and so the commitment level is low for a lot of people who stay out there. It wasn't awful but it was indeed noticeable.

5/18 I left Weaver Lake in the morning and headed east toward Rowell Meadow. Right away I noticed that the trail was difficult to follow due to snow on the ground. I had to double back several times to find the trail. I ended up hitting the trail junction and turning south towards JO Pass. The snow on the ground got worse as I climbed and there was a point when I wandered far enough off trail to be lost. Luckily I was able to rediscover the trail after some scrambling before running into another lone hiker heading the opposite way. He informed me that JO pass was still a mile up the trail and that I could follow his footsteps in the snow to get there no problem. I thanked him and we parted ways. Once I hit JO Pass I decided that instead of heading toward Jennie Lake which was my original plan, I was going to descend down the other side of the pass into Sequoia Nat'l Park towards Clover Creek/Twin Lakes area. The ground was completely covered with snow on top of the pass and I did not want to venture towards Jennie Lake without a clear trail. Unfortunately the trail was hard to follow even as I descended the other side. I ended up off track again and I began to follow Clover Creek southward for a few more miles. At night fall I set up camp somewhere alongside Clover Creek.

5/19 woke up early and continued south along Clover Creek toward the Kaweah River Valley. Stumbled out of the woods at Wuksachi Lodge and hitchhiked back to my car at Big Meadows.

I would not do this loop again this early in the season without a solid GPS. Not being able to follow the trail easily due to snow added a fair amount of stress to the trip. Other than that, this is a beautiful area and I look forward to visiting again so that I can actually see Jennie Lake and stop by Rowell Meadow as well as summit Mitchell Peak.

We hiked to Weaver Lake in early May, 2018. There was still snow covering portions of the trail, which made the trail hard to follow at times. We actually had to follow other hiker’s footprints in the snow, otherwise, it was hard to see where the trail was! That’s my only complaint. Once we made it to Weaver Lake, it was a beautiful sight. It too was still snow-covered, but still an amazing, crisp lake. The available campsites at Weaver Lake were hard to get to because of the snow, so we had to camp elsewhere. Visually, Weaver Lake is spectacular & well worth the hike to see! Just pay attention to the the trail & follow it diligently. The beauty of the Sequoia National Forest is worth your effort!

Me and my partner decided to do the trail for her birthday, 3 days to do the loop so we could take our time, and we had a blast.
It was our first time backpacking, but we came prepared. we started from Fox Meadows trail head around 3:30pm and headed to Jennie Lake for our first night we arrived around 7:00 just enough time to enjoy some views of the lake then setup camp and start a fire, before the sun set. the second night we stayed in-between Rowell Meadow Junction and Warren Lake, that day we arrived with plenty of time before the sun set, but there was a storm brewing as we were hiking down the canyon so we set up between some of the streams. that night we both vented of being sore in various spots due to the pack. on the third night we got to warren lake in under an hour and a half. Jennie lake wasn't very populated the night that we stayed there. The 2nd night we were alone for the night which was pretty cool. Warren lake ,due to being so close to two trail heads, was very packed. This made it tough to sneak away and perform certain doodies.

Poop out pass was not all it was made out to be.

In retrospect doing the trail counter clockwise seems to be the easier choice.

all and all the trail was much fun, I cant wait to explore more of Sequoia national forest!

Both lakes are great places to camp. They get a little crowded on the weekends but can be a lot of fun for the littler ones as they are easy hikes

This hike is highly recommended. We did it in reverse, heading from Big Meadows to Weaver Lake night one as we got in late. This made day 2 from Weaver Lake to Jennie Lake via JO Pass a decent uphill trek. The back part of the trail is fairly rugged, but well worth the hike. There is plenty of water along the route which was a nice bonus not having to worry about where to fill up. Both lakes tend to be fairly busy camping wise, but are extremely beautiful and worth the effort.

My husband and I did the loop starting from big meadows trailhead heading to Jennie lake it was 7.4 miles. Poop out pass was a "B" but we made it!!! I think Jo Pass is just as hard tho. Be careful on poop out pass that you don't loose your way on the granite, if you do it's hard to find your bearings. Unless of course you are frequently checking this awesome app.
So from Jennie lake to Weaver lake it was 9.8 miles for us, maybe due to where we had camped and going round all the downed trees. There were about 3 or 4 nice streams along the way so plenty of places to get water. My fav was at the bottom of Jo Pass the water was so cold and refreshing.
The last trek from Weaver lake back to Big Meadows trailhead was 3.5 miles easy peesy!!!
The water at both lakes were warm and clean. Weaver lake was more crowded with family day hikers. Jennie lake was larger and our favorite although all the backpackers seemed to want to plant themselves right at the first area for camping but if you go around all the way to the right past the peninsula there are loads of other campsites. We will definitely go back further next time due to lack of privacy when needed to go to the bathroom.
Great hike we will be back to Jennie lake again!!

Hiked in for the night out of big meadows. It turned out to be around 9 miles one way. The lake was absolutely beautiful! Crystal clear water. I would recommend this hike to anyone. Moderately difficult with a light pack, mainly because of distance.

Hiked this trail as part of a weekend hike from the entrance to the Jennie Lakes Wilderness to Mitchell Peak, and if you enjoy arduous hikes then you'll love this one. So scenic and challenging!

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Gorgeous views. Remote. Awesome wildlife, tiny frogs, coyote packs yipping at 3 a.m. and a marmot family. Amazing sunsets. It doesn't get any better. A ton of up and down. Poop out pass is well named. Great hike. Will do it again.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

It was An amazing hike ! Definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't been backpacking before . Elevation is crazy, it's about 9000 feet I believe , but man the view is amazing ! Be careful, we did get lost at one point because you have to backtrack at one point in the trail to do the loop. Other then that , it was awesome !!

Monday, May 19, 2014

Going out there this weekend. Is there an basecamp ground along the 14S11 road ? or 14S16 ?

Thursday, November 17, 2016