Jamison Lake

Jamison Lake is a 5.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Blairsden Graeagle, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,069 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I recorded the decent from Rock lake, so very beautiful.

This was a gorgeous hike. It starts off for the first 3/4 mile, very rocky and uphill, but then it evens out and has such diverse terrain for the rest of the hike. After hiking 1 mile, be sure to check out the Jamison Waterfall. There’s even a rope to hold onto, if you’d like hike down to bottom of the waterfall, which we highly recommend. Grassy lake and Jamison lake were both beautiful too and were well worth the hike in our opinion.

Great hike! Our first time here and really enjoyed it. Some small patches of water across the trail in several spots but nothing you can’t get over by stepping on rocks. Not too busy, saw a few people along the way but was very quite and relaxing.

Great trail for anyone looking for waterfalls, lakes, and views. Total time was almost 4 hours and we hung out by the lakes for some time. 6.46 miles in total is what my watch clocked. Dog friendly, but there was a sign that said Jackson winter trail no dogs? Not sure what that’s about. We hiked mid day and there was plenty shade. Very peaceful, only saw two other people the whole trail.

Started from my favorite spot Plumas Eureka State Park. Up to Grass Lake still some wildflowers and wet trails. On to Jamison Lake left my husband there to fly fish. He caught 6! I went to Rock lake for a swim. Such a beautiful area to explore. My kids looked for some bouldering opportunities. Hike is short so there is plenty of time to enjoy the beauty before heading back to camp.

Great trail amazing views at Rock Lake and Jamieson Lake. First mile is hard uphill but moderate after that

Great trail with good views, lakes, waterfall (be willing to wonder on to other trails and paths for better views)

Back to the trail head. Easy trail going down.

First Hike. Trail head was packed when we got there at 12. Steep and rocky for the first 3/4 mile. Then was a nice easy hike for a mile or so. Switch backs up to Jamison/Rock lake for lunch, then on to Wades Lake. Was going to make the loop to long lake but got a cramp so we went back to Jamison for the night. Campers set up at all lakes.

Hiked a loop of Jamison, Rock, and Wades Lakes. All are absolutely gorgeous.

We camped in Plumas-Eureka SP. went out to Rock Lake. Contrary to AT stats, GPS said 7 miles and 1950’ elev. Nice trail but first mile is UP and very rocky. Several seepages around Grass lake. No big deal for waterproof shoes. Rock lake is still cold—I estimate temp at 60-65 deg so I didn’t swim.

Arrived at the trailhead around 11. Parking lot was nearly full, however, we only passed 10 or 12 hiking. As described, the first 3/4 mile is Ricky and fairly steep. Worth it. Take the very short side trail to Jamison Falls. The trail is easy to follow and the lakes (Grass, Wade, Jamison and Rock) are beautiful. Caught a little rain and wind gusts up near Jamison. Very nice hike.

Truly a fun trail. Beautiful views. The hike to the lakes are well worth it. Get out and hike!!

Hiked up to Rock Lake this week with my two dogs. Arrived around 12 to the trailhead and there were already 8 cars in the lot, but only ran into a few people on the trail. All friendly and having a good time. Last time I hiked this trail was last September, I backpacked up to Jamison and stayed overnight - there were significantly less people in September - we had Jamison all to ourselves. This time I Passed at least 3 groups of backpackers on the way back down, all heading to Jamison. Views at Rock Lake are phenomenal ! Its situated right next to Mt. Washington’s knobby ridge with 360 degree views. There are also nice places to jump off rocks and the water temp is great for swimming. Will return in September to do some backpacking once the crowds have died down.

This is a great trail with 4 lakes to explore, Grass lake, Jamison Lake, Wades Lake, and Rock Lake. We took 3 kids ages 9,11 and 12 backpacking here and 1 dog. You have to have your dog on leash until you leave the state park, once past the state park they can be off-leash. Most groups hiking had dogs with them. We were worried that we would not find a camping site as we arrived late on Friday night and the lot was almost full. We found a great spot both nights. The first night we camped at Grass lake and the second Rock Lake. The lakes are great for swimming and the view is outstanding. At Rock Lake, I felt like I was on top of the world!

This is my favorite hike in the area. It has everything. A waterfall, 3 beautiful lakes, and gorgeous views of the surrounding area. The first half mile is rocky and a steady uphill grade. It then levels out into the forest section. I highly recommend this hike.

Gorgeous hike to Jamison. Hiked 6/22/19. Trail starts steep and rocky then levels out. Many snow melt stream crossings and waterfalls. Pass by other pretty alpine lakes with rock rings-although muddy. Ascent to Jamison has switchbacks. Enjoyed lunch on the granite slab admiring the lake. Total was 7 miles and 3.5 hours.

This is a great hike winding you up the canyon through beautiful landscapes and goregous backdrops. My GPS tracked a little more than 3 miles each direction. The first 3/4 mile is pretty steep and rocky, but, the terrain smooths out once you hit grass lake with minimal grade for the remainder of the trail. There are abundant water sources if you are planning for an overnight and what look to be a few established campsites between Jameson and Rock lakes.

Beautiful hike. Totally worth it. Trail was a little wet in places but not enough to get you feet wet!

https://youtu.be/uY2ifIQ0dfg conditions were superb weekend of 6/22!

Mellow hike to Jamison Lake. The lake is full and access to Rock lake can only be done by going around Jamison. Many of the camp sites are still under water from run off. The far side of the lake still has a good amount of snow. Popular trailhead, but most are day hikers. Good option for easy backpacking.

Hiked this yesterday with the kiddos. After Grass Lake there are quite a few stream crossing. All but 2 shallow and nothing real deep. If you’re careful I believe you can even keep your feet dry. Some mud. A couple of patches of snow (10-20 yards) easy to walk on a bit slushy. Nice rock fire pits and wind breaks at Jamison if you want to camp, cook, or chill. Good views. I’ll post some pics...

Friday, September 28, 2018

Beautiful trail, rocky on the way up but the waterfall was worth it for the 1st stop. grass lake and jamison lake were amazing. definitely will be doing this again and planning on backpacking it.

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Perfect hike. Went with my wife and 9 year old daughter. Camped at Jamison lake, and hiked out. You really can not ask for a better hike to introduce kids to over night backpacking!

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Excellent family half-day hike: Difficulty: Somewhat strenuous, steep at first, leveling off around Grass Lake. The views and varying terrain make the hike worth it. The waterfall was full, to our surprise. The EarthTrek poles were helpful for the large granite steps on the descent. Come prepared with trekking poles, good shoes and sunwear. Forested and shady in some spots, sunny in others. This hike leads up to Rock Lake. The Lake is somewhat barren, but is excellent for diving if the level is high. The day we went it was low with much silt. If you have the time, take the extra 15-30 minute loop around the lake. Amazing views of Grass Lake and the Sierras from above. Jamison Lake is nearby and we could view it but headed down early. 10am to 3:30pm. I will do this hike again. I did it years ago for backpacking.

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Beautiful hike and well worth it. can't wait to do it again.

Saturday, August 11, 2018

It isn't too smokey to hike here (Aug 2018) but views are not what they are when it is clear. We just spent a couple nights by Rock Lake and Jamison which are both nice. The hike into the lakes from the mine is uphill, hot at mid-day. and rocky, but with nice forested areas, a waterfall, small streams, interesting geology and good views. Nice stars at night despite all the fires to the north and south. It took us about 2 hours to hike in, and 1 hour to get out. We really enjoyed hiking up to Mt Washington from Jamison - it is an exposed, difficult rock scramble at the summit, but beautiful!

Friday, August 03, 2018

This trail was rough on my knees because of all the rocks and large steps, but the view at the top was worth it! We made it to the lake and went swimming, and hiked back down shortly after. Also visiting the waterfall on the way down was my favorite part, also it was quite steep climbing down to it. I don't recommend it for anyone who doesn't have great balance or strength to climb back up.

Monday, July 23, 2018

Great trail and hike with some mining history nearby. Got a late start, so we couldn't find any spots along the west shore on a Saturday, but found a beautiful camp site for two tents on the East shore that were perfect. No one else on the east shore, so we were able to camp naked with the warm weather ... Gorgeous view of sunset and sun rise. Didn't even need bug repellent!!!

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Spent 2 nights on west shore of Jamison Lake on a perch above the water. Trail was fantastic with no sign of wild life. Nights were quiet and peaceful and the stars were incredible to see. Fish hopping and caught a few. saw a few other camps but was very quiet especially after the day hikers left. weather was hot during the day but perfect at night. Will definitely be back!