James Irvine Trail

James Irvine Trail is a 17.2 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Orick, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

17.2 km
489 m

this trail puts u right in the heart of some amazing stands of some the last old growth redwoods left in the world .. worth a view

My wife and I hiked this trail on 5-3-18 starting from the ranger center to Fern Canyon. The flowers were bloming and the weather was perfect. If you start at the ranger center beware this is NOT 4.2 miles as the sign says, it is 6 miles to Fern Canyon!!!! So it is 13 miles to the ocean view, in Fern Canyon and back to the ranger station.The hike is everything you want from large Redwoods, streams, Fern Canyon and the ocean. Enjoy!

Beautiful trail. Fortunate with sunny weather.
Started at James Irvine trail head (which is next to the visitor center) to Fern Canyon. Then took Clintonia Trail which connects back to James Irvine - probably 11-12 miles. Trail is well kept, beautiful redwood, ferns, wild flowers and birds. Fern Canyon is a must for anyone visiting the area - it is just beautiful. Expect to cross very shallow creek few times in the Fern Canyon.
Entire trail very quiet, loved the solitude. Only 4 other hikers for the entire hike.

For a beginner like me this hike was intimidating and I didn't plan on doing the whole trail. Started at Fern Canyon and just started walking, you will need plenty of water and food, bring extra. It took me about 6 hours to go from Fern Canyon to the Trail HQ and back. There are bathrooms at both Fern Canyon and Trail HQ and a water faucet at HQ. Overall the hike was easier then I thought it would be, elevation gain and grade are minimal there are a couple points when you go uphill but it's relatively short. Most of the trail winds through a beautiful grove on flat terrain as you get closer to HQ. There are lots of points where you can rest and just enjoy these magical forests. I would recommend it, but be ready for a long day.

If you plan to start at Fern Canyon, there is a self register for $8 (cash only). The road to the trail head, like most in this area, is unpaved and bumpy. My Nissan Versa did just fine, after the Gold Bluffs campground keep going, I had to cross a small stream and the parking lot for Fern Canyon is about a mile up.

The hike is a nice but long stroll through the redwoods. The trail was in good shape and 3-4 wide in most sections with lots of cool trees and bridges to stop along for photos. There were a few parts overgrown as you get closer to fern canyon. Unfortunately it rained hard during our hike and some of the trail became a little river-ish and puddled of course. It made fern canyon trail (from James Irvine) a little to difficult to navigate with swelling of river from rains but we still enjoyed ourselves despite being soaked. There are ways to alternate the out and back that adds only a little more distance if an out and back is to boring at this length. Also, we learned to not trust the distances on the signs pretty quickly because they are off or not cumulative. Would do this hike again in better weather and add an alternate loop coming back.

I did a small section of this trail beginning at Fern Canyon going out and back about 3 miles. It was truly a pleasure. The Redwoods in this area were beautiful along with the ferns and other vegetation. It was nice to have a longer hike after driving 8 miles on un-paved road to see Fern Canyon. Certainly worth checking out even if you can't conquer the whole trail.

So beautiful to hike through the redwoods!

My friend and I backpacked in The Redwoods recently via the West Ridge Trail and returning on the James Irvine Trail. We camped overnight at Gold Bluffs Beach which is one of the best campsites I’ve ever stayed at. This particular route was about 10/11 miles a day and included about a mile hike along the beach which was absolutely beautiful!

Gold Bluffs beach campground has water, bathrooms, and separate (cheaper!) campsites for backpackers. The route is relatively easy as there is not a lot of elevation change. You will pass waterfalls, Fern Canyon, streams, and looming Redwoods that leave you in awe.

Great hike I've done as part of a longer hike posted onsite. Praire Creek is no doubt my favorite in the area.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Went on this trail with a group of about 40 people. Everyone got spread out pretty far. This was easily the neatest hike I've been on. Takes you through the deepest Redwoods. It's like your walking through the Ewoks Forest. You are in the shade for most of it until the very end, just past Fern Canyon. Make sure you visit Fern Canyon before exiting to the parking lot at the bottom. You can hike to the beach from there if you like. This was not the easiest hike I've been on but everyone people made it. We did end up shuttling in vehicles from the parking lot at the bottom. It would have been hellish to go both ways for the average person. Plus you see everything on the way down, the way back up would just be a work out and not very scenic lol. I will do this hike everytime I visit the redwoods. It was a cool hike and the smells and visuals were amazing.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017