James Irvine Trail

James Irvine Trail is a 10.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Orick, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

1998 feet

I did a small section of this trail beginning at Fern Canyon going out and back about 3 miles. It was truly a pleasure. The Redwoods in this area were beautiful along with the ferns and other vegetation. It was nice to have a longer hike after driving 8 miles on un-paved road to see Fern Canyon. Certainly worth checking out even if you can't conquer the whole trail.

So beautiful to hike through the redwoods!

My friend and I backpacked in The Redwoods recently via the West Ridge Trail and returning on the James Irvine Trail. We camped overnight at Gold Bluffs Beach which is one of the best campsites I’ve ever stayed at. This particular route was about 10/11 miles a day and included about a mile hike along the beach which was absolutely beautiful!

Gold Bluffs beach campground has water, bathrooms, and separate (cheaper!) campsites for backpackers. The route is relatively easy as there is not a lot of elevation change. You will pass waterfalls, Fern Canyon, streams, and looming Redwoods that leave you in awe.

Great hike I've done as part of a longer hike posted onsite. Praire Creek is no doubt my favorite in the area.

Went on this trail with a group of about 40 people. Everyone got spread out pretty far. This was easily the neatest hike I've been on. Takes you through the deepest Redwoods. It's like your walking through the Ewoks Forest. You are in the shade for most of it until the very end, just past Fern Canyon. Make sure you visit Fern Canyon before exiting to the parking lot at the bottom. You can hike to the beach from there if you like. This was not the easiest hike I've been on but everyone people made it. We did end up shuttling in vehicles from the parking lot at the bottom. It would have been hellish to go both ways for the average person. Plus you see everything on the way down, the way back up would just be a work out and not very scenic lol. I will do this hike everytime I visit the redwoods. It was a cool hike and the smells and visuals were amazing.