James Irvine to Fern Canyon to Clintonia to Miner's Ridge

James Irvine to Fern Canyon to Clintonia to Miner's Ridge is a 11.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Orick, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

beach

Beautiful redwoods and fern canyon is beyond beautiful! Walk on the beach to connect fern canyon to miners ridge!

An amazing walk through the great giants! Our hike started off at the visitors center and immediately we were greeted with a foot bridge built around two magnificent trees. Continuing on we were amazed by the beauty and amazing smell of the magnificent redwood forest. There is so much to see and be amazed by! Be sure to pay attention to the foot bridges as you will be amazed by the depth of the canyons! Upon reaching the fern canyon we were taken aback by the beauty of the sheer walls covered in fern and the walls of water flowing into the stream below. Note... make sure you have water proof shoes if you want to walk the fern canyon trail. Walk down through the canyon in and out of the creek until you reach the beach parking area. We were able to see a bull elk grazing in a pasture just off the trail. We then walked down the beach road to the head of miners ridge trail. We hiked the miners ridge trail back to the visitors center. Miners ridge was just as great on the way back to the visitors center. I would highly recommend making your own loop vs the walk in and back. Unfortunately, due to cell coverage (which there is none) we were not able to record our hike which was our trail today. Grab a map from the visitors center and you can copy our route. Trust me it’s well worth it!!

Ended up doing James Irvine to miners trail which was about 8 miles. Easy going trip with a small bit of climbing. Absolutely beautiful

Incredible trail that I did last winter except that I walked down the road and back up Miners Ridge which effectively made it a figure eight because I did Clintonia coming and going. The site wouldn't post that one so I'll do it here. One of the most enjoyable hikes I've ever done especially since I did it in the middle of winter. I only saw one young couple in over 15 miles.

Lovely long walk through redwoods to the beach and back. We saw otters at the very start and a couple of banana slugs throughout. Fern Canyon is absolutely gorgeous; keep walking until you hit the two (small) waterfalls before turning back to leave. Only disappointment was that I was hoping to exit the forest right onto the beach. Instead you have to walk out of the trail into the parking lot and then onto the beach. The latrine at the beach parking lot was one of the worst latrines I've ever been in. Also, there was a LOT of human waste along the trails. People, if you go to the bathroom I the woods, take you toilet paper with you! With that, don't do it inside the redwoods! People want to explore those and have a good time. They don't want to see or smell your poop when they walk into it.

recorded weens