James Irvine to Fern Canyon to Clintonia to Miner's Ridge

James Irvine to Fern Canyon to Clintonia to Miner's Ridge is a 11.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Orick, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

beach

Incredible trail that I did last winter except that I walked down the road and back up Miners Ridge which effectively made it a figure eight because I did Clintonia coming and going. The site wouldn't post that one so I'll do it here. One of the most enjoyable hikes I've ever done especially since I did it in the middle of winter. I only saw one young couple in over 15 miles.

Lovely long walk through redwoods to the beach and back. We saw otters at the very start and a couple of banana slugs throughout. Fern Canyon is absolutely gorgeous; keep walking until you hit the two (small) waterfalls before turning back to leave. Only disappointment was that I was hoping to exit the forest right onto the beach. Instead you have to walk out of the trail into the parking lot and then onto the beach. The latrine at the beach parking lot was one of the worst latrines I've ever been in. Also, there was a LOT of human waste along the trails. People, if you go to the bathroom I the woods, take you toilet paper with you! With that, don't do it inside the redwoods! People want to explore those and have a good time. They don't want to see or smell your poop when they walk into it.