Jalama Beach, Point Conception: De Anza Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(29)
Lompoc, California

Jalama Beach, Point Conception: De Anza Trail is a 10.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lompoc, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and fishing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.1 miles Elevation Gain: 518 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

fee

Note: The Point Conception Lighthouse is located on private property and is not accessible to the public. There is a $10 parking fee.

private property

Nice hike, but the top of the cliffs and the lighthouse are on private property, so you won't be able to see the lighthouse. Plan on going at low tide: the first cape at the end of Jalama Beach is easily passable with a 4ft tide (check Point Arguello), it was impossible to reach the last cove before Point Conception without getting wet (tide was at 1.5-2ft). It might seem like a walk on the beach, but it's still about 11 miles out and back (not for everybody) to reach Point Conception, and the terrain is rocky in places (so have good shoes). And obviously there's no shade, so be prepared for that. Nice waves at Pt Conception, plenty of birds and we even saw a coyote on the beach.

Beautiful hike Fairly easy Dogs allowed Must start just after high tide or you will get stuck. You cant get to the lighthouse without breaking the law. Jalama burger at the end was amazing.

Beautiful but had to navigate on the rocks quite a bit. Four hours total and didn’t make it to the lighthouse. Stopped for lots of pictures.

closed
private property

NOT A HIKE BUT I went camping at Jalama beach and I was beautiful!!!! We asked the camp rangers if Point Conception was open to the public but they said it’s closed and the groundskeepers will get mad if you go. Again, not a hike, just a beautiful beach walk.

It took me 8yrs to finally complete this hike/beach walk. Due to the timing of the tides. It was a nice walk along the beach with different rock formations and sea life. Reached the lighthouse but beware it is private property. Enter at own risk.

Wed Oct 17 2018

It’s not a hike, just a beach walk. And very dependent on tide.

Sun Jul 08 2018

Definitely scenic! You have to go before high tide or you’ll get trapped between the rock and water. We walked the full distance to Point Conception, but there isn’t a way to access the light house or the church. You can see it from below, but if you plan on walking there, you have to drive a ways to see it. Not a lot of people walking on the trail with you. Take plenty of water with you. The breeze was amazing as were some of the views. Also, the terrain wasn’t that challenging. Just a nice walk.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Awesome trial

Thu Apr 05 2018

I did not see any cliff-side trails, only no trespassing signs. So I ended up parking in Jalama Beach Park ($10 for a day pass), and hiked the shore line. I hiked in April on a weekday and had the trail almost entirely to myself. I saw tons of wildlife, including birds, tidal pool creatures, and a lazy sea lion. I had dry sand the whole way, but would have felt more comfortable if I knew the tidal schedule. There are a couple of choke points along the cliff if the tide gets high enough and it's a long hike. I chose to walk close to the waterline where the sand is harder. You have to scramble around some rocks at the points. I also walked along some of the concrete barriers in one area where the waterline was right up against it. I hiked a long way, but didn't make it to the lighthouse so I don't know if there is a shoreline trail that takes you up to the cliff and lighthouse. Nice views, nice breezes, and I had it all to myself. Note that dogs are allowed on leashes, but they charge extra per dog you bring.

Thu Feb 23 2017

just like everyone else, the money involved to enjoy this one is getting out of hand. saying that, the trail itself is beautiful, and it's always worth the trip out here.

Sun Feb 19 2017

I've been coming to Jalama for years and year after year I watch the prices for entry go up and up. they don't charge you to park if your going just to have a Jalama burger (Which are locally famous) but they charge you to park then they charge you for your dog. so because of this we don't visit as often as we once did. I understand the $ goes to helping keep the park clean etc... but ALL parks I feel are getting a little ridiculous when it comes to admission... especially for the local folk. I love my CA beaches and it breaks my heart that most of them are becoming so pricey to visit.

Mon Feb 06 2017

Fairly easy sand/rocks along beach trail. A must during really low tides with lots to see around the exposed reef. Great for kids and dogs to explore.

Wed Jan 18 2017

Beautiful Central Coast spot, but $10 to park and $3 per dog.

Sat Nov 26 2016

Not a hike at all. It's a walk along the beach. The Rangers were convinced that there's never been a hiking trail here. We made the most of it and had fun, but it was not what we expected. Never made it to the lighthouse because of the tide. Did a total of 7mi rather than 11mi. Not recommended for hiking, perhaps camping or beach time. Parking is $10/car.

Thu May 19 2016

really a fun change from mountains. check with the Rangers about high and low tides. saw seal or sea lions don't know the difference tons of little crabs and crustaceans not really any people after the first mile but it was windy in April.

Mon Nov 18 2013

Hiked along the beach and watched the birds soar the South bluff. Windy here most of the time, but beautiful nonetheless.

Mon Jun 10 2013

The gatekeeper told me that the walk to the lighthouse was restricted because it is on private property but you can walk along the beach towards Conception Point, which is what I chose to do. It was lovely, cold, misty and windy this morning which was perfect for pictures. I did not, however, make it to the Point because of high tides. I will definitely be back again to finish the hike, take more pictures and maybe stay in the nice little campground if it's not too crowded.

Tue Oct 30 2012

Beautiful, fun all-day hike with amazing scenery. You can walk right up to the lighthouse at Point Conception and look up and down from the point. It can be windy here so wear layers.

Fri Jun 02 2017