Jalama Beach, Point Conception: De Anza Trail

Jalama Beach, Point Conception: De Anza Trail is a 11.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lompoc, California that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, fishing, and surfing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

surfing

beach

I did not see any cliff-side trails, only no trespassing signs. So I ended up parking in Jalama Beach Park ($10 for a day pass), and hiked the shore line. I hiked in April on a weekday and had the trail almost entirely to myself. I saw tons of wildlife, including birds, tidal pool creatures, and a lazy sea lion. I had dry sand the whole way, but would have felt more comfortable if I knew the tidal schedule. There are a couple of choke points along the cliff if the tide gets high enough and it's a long hike. I chose to walk close to the waterline where the sand is harder. You have to scramble around some rocks at the points. I also walked along some of the concrete barriers in one area where the waterline was right up against it. I hiked a long way, but didn't make it to the lighthouse so I don't know if there is a shoreline trail that takes you up to the cliff and lighthouse. Nice views, nice breezes, and I had it all to myself. Note that dogs are allowed on leashes, but they charge extra per dog you bring.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

just like everyone else, the money involved to enjoy this one is getting out of hand. saying that, the trail itself is beautiful, and it's always worth the trip out here.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

I've been coming to Jalama for years and year after year I watch the prices for entry go up and up. they don't charge you to park if your going just to have a Jalama burger (Which are locally famous) but they charge you to park then they charge you for your dog. so because of this we don't visit as often as we once did. I understand the $ goes to helping keep the park clean etc... but ALL parks I feel are getting a little ridiculous when it comes to admission... especially for the local folk. I love my CA beaches and it breaks my heart that most of them are becoming so pricey to visit.

Monday, February 06, 2017

Fairly easy sand/rocks along beach trail. A must during really low tides with lots to see around the exposed reef. Great for kids and dogs to explore.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Beautiful Central Coast spot, but $10 to park and $3 per dog.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Not a hike at all. It's a walk along the beach. The Rangers were convinced that there's never been a hiking trail here. We made the most of it and had fun, but it was not what we expected. Never made it to the lighthouse because of the tide. Did a total of 7mi rather than 11mi. Not recommended for hiking, perhaps camping or beach time. Parking is $10/car.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

really a fun change from mountains. check with the Rangers about high and low tides. saw seal or sea lions don't know the difference tons of little crabs and crustaceans not really any people after the first mile but it was windy in April.

Monday, November 18, 2013

Hiked along the beach and watched the birds soar the South bluff. Windy here most of the time, but beautiful nonetheless.

Monday, June 10, 2013

The gatekeeper told me that the walk to the lighthouse was restricted because it is on private property but you can walk along the beach towards Conception Point, which is what I chose to do. It was lovely, cold, misty and windy this morning which was perfect for pictures. I did not, however, make it to the Point because of high tides.
I will definitely be back again to finish the hike, take more pictures and maybe stay in the nice little campground if it's not too crowded.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Beautiful, fun all-day hike with amazing scenery. You can walk right up to the lighthouse at Point Conception and look up and down from the point. It can be windy here so wear layers.

Monday, April 17, 2017