Jackson Lake to Vincent's Cabin

Jackson Lake to Vincent's Cabin is a 9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

The hike to Vincent's Cabin from Vincent Gap is very short and easy. To make it longer and more challenging, start from Jackson Lake. Take the Jackson Lake Trail from the parking area to where it intersects the Pacific Crest Trail (about 2 miles). Follow the PCT down to the parking area at Vincent Gap (about 2 miles). Then hike down to Vincent's Cabin. There are some original aspects to Vincent's Cabin still, but much has been rebuilt from pictures taken when it was lived in. The story of the man known as Tom Vincent is an old west legendary tale. His real name, he admitted on his death bed in 1926, was Charles Vincent Dougherty. Wounded in the Civil War, miner in Arizona, with claim-jumping incidents and a run-in with a native american. The old west was alive and well in the San Gabriel Mountains!

We do it the other way, we’re old. And we use a shuttle car down at Apple tree.
And we go from grassy...

Wonderful hike that spans several trail junctures. Started at Lake Jackson and followed the Jackson Lake Trail for roughly two miles. Trail is well used and easy to follow as sections used to be old forestry roads. Elevation is gained at an even pace with plenty of scenery to view. This portion offers majestic views of the Mojave Desert and the lake once you climb high enough. The trail ends at the PCT. From here, follow the trail to the right. This section of the PCT runs along the ridge like just below Jackson Flat Campground and will ultimately intersect the Baden-Powell parking lot. Sections of this trail are steep but well trafficked. Once reaching the parking area, there are several options that can be taken. This map is for Vincent’s Cabin, however I decided to walk a little farther and went to the Big Horn mine instead for a little more of a challenge. This made my total trip 12 miles. You may also choose Baden-Powell or Big Rock Creek if feeling adventurous. Just make sure you bring enough water and allow enough time. The return trip was a little strenuous as I worked my way back up the PCT until I reached the ridge again. From there everything evened out as the PCT is fairly flat in this section. After finding the Jackson Lake Trail, I started my decent back to the lake an my vehicle. Overall, well worth the adventure and added a lot more challenge to one of my favorite hikes.

This is a beautiful trail and quite a workout. Great way to start the new year.