Jackson Demonstration Forest (Double Loop)

Jackson Demonstration Forest (Double Loop) is a 15.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mendocino, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Completed the entire trail but at times the trail let us to different roads. The trail signs are not visible or perhaps aren’t there at all. Trail is a 15.5 distance but we ended up doing 18.5 in hike. It was a great trail in spite of everything else.

This is a beautiful spot but hiking here is beyond difficult and not because of distance or terrain. This place is a mesh work of unmarked, cris-crossing trails. If I hadn’t had my GPS I fear that I might not have found my way back to the trailhead. You can walk the road but the logging trucks are frequent and they slow down for nothing and no one. Golden chanterelle mushrooms were plentiful. I don’t know if it is legal to harvest the so I left them.

Friday, May 12, 2017

We were going to hike the double loop and luckily decided to cut the hike in half by taking the Forest History Trail ( blue trails on the map). We still walked about 15 miles on the loop trail. A significant portion of the trail is service road and not very pretty. But the Forest History Trail and adjacent trail are beautiful wooded trails. Caution - bring a GPS or if you are using your phone to navigate bring extra charger. The trail is not at all well marked and we had to use our phones to navigate. Great exercise but not always beautiful.

recorded hiking