Islip Saddle to Little Jimmy Campground and Mt. Islip

Islip Saddle to Little Jimmy Campground and Mt. Islip is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Wilson, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from La Canada, CA: Follow Angeles Crest Highway to Islip Saddle (about 1 mile east of the tunnels). Park there and follow the Pacific Crest Trail up an easy grade 2.1 miles to Little Jimmy Campground, a favorite overnight stop for backpackers. A National Forest Adventure Pass is required for your vehicle while parked in this area.

We did this trail with my son's Boy Scout troop last October (2016) as a one night beginner backpacking overnight for the new scouts. It was great! Good variety of ascent, descent, narrows, and just enough strain to make it some work, but not too much for the new guys. We got the camp site we wanted up at the top away from the rest. Great hikes and views in the area, good water source down the trail from the camp site. I'd say the only negative was the bathrooms, but it is camping after all, and the camp fire ban - but that's no one's fault.

For local hiking and camping this place is great. Picnic tables, firepit, stoves and vault toured
toilets, plus ample spaces for camping. Not much hiking distance to hit the campsite. Love this place.

Beautiful quiet tranquil The snow and cool gentle breeze through the pine trees makes it mesmerizing and fragrant.

Loved it! Went up 3/18/17 on a sunny day with a group of 4 and our pup. Started the uphill climb at a steady pace and then we hit snow! Beautiful hike, a little sketchy losing the trail at times but we made it to a snow packed campground before sunset. Can't wait to go back.

Thanks for the information John. I am probably going to have to consider this a problem for our trip. A group of us (6) were planning to go, and though it might be safer together, I'm still concerned about this.

I can confirm Kevyn's information regarding this trail. I was just up there this weekend, and with snow on the trail, it was nothing but one big icy slope with 0 definition of where the trail was; I turned around within the 1st mile. James, it gets steep about a half mile into the hike. I have not seen the trail in good weather conditions, but with snow, I had no idea where the trail was after a half mile. I hiked a little bit further to see if it would become better defined and it didn't. I was just walking on a slope ... so glad I turned around.

Look at Kevyn's picture. That is exactly what I experienced.

Kevyn or any experienced hikers on this trail: can someone tell me where it gets steep, especially in the snow? I have a trip planned for an overnight there; my thought is if we take the PCT trail until we get to the Little Jimmy Road, we shouldn't run into the dangerous steep sections Kevyn was referring to. Are these located on the PCT trail AFTER the Fire road intersection?

Thanks Kevin for the review. I was thinking boing to go up.

If this is your first time hiking this trail PLEASE read my review first. I am a VERY experienced hiker and just last week I decided to hike this trail to set up camp at little jimmy. This is one of the most beautiful trails I have hiked, but also the most dangerous. At about mile 3-4 the trail is incredibly icy with a very vertical drop off to your left. I went as slow as I could and slipped off the side and fell neck deep into snow. I had to bail all of my gear to get out and then had no cell phone signal to call for help. Spent the rest of the night hiking down in freezing conditions. I was lucky to come back from this hike and do NOT attempt this hike without crampons and an ice axe. If you slip you will be at the mercy of the mountain. I am thankful to come back from this hike, please take my advice!

The view from the top is about as good as it gets. Didn't want to leave the place once I finished. Also managed to spot 5 rams heading down. Plan on coming back early spring!

Always a favorite! Scenic, beautiful trail. A little rough the first mile but a piece of cake thereafter all the way to the top of Mt. Islip. My two boys, under 13, do this trail with me.

I've hiked over three dozen trails in the Angeles National Forest, and this is one of the most scenic. The path I took to the summit was a little different from the route on the AllTrails map, though. After relaxing at Little Jimmy Campground, I continued south on the Pacific Crest Trail, which is located on the southeast side of the camp (the map on AllTrails instructs you to take a path on the southwest side). The PCT passes by Little Jimmy Springs and leads to the junction at Windy Gap. It's a worthwhile detour, as the view from Windy Gap of Mt. Hawkins and Crystal Lake area is stunning. I then headed west up to Mt. Islip, passing by the trail that leads back to Little Jimmy Campground.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

When you park in the lot, it might be tempting to take the trail labeled Islip Saddle, but I learned that the trail to the peak is actually located just across the highway!

I'm always excited when I get to hike a section of the PCT, and this was a rather lovely one! The first 15 minutes of the hike were a bit rough. I was out of breath fairly quickly, but I think I can attribute that to the elevation. The rest of it was quite manageable.

Most of the hike is in the shade of some big trees, making it a perfect summer hike. It really feels like you're in a forest.

Sunday, May 22, 2016