Learn more

Islay Hill Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Luis Obispo, California. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 482 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The easternmost hill in the Central Coast chain known as The Nine Sisters. A narrow dirt path switchbacks across the north side of the hill. At the top are great views of San Luis Obispo and The Edna Valley. Also at the top, a 10ft climbing pole for extra views

Beautiful trail and gives you a pretty good workout but the top is anticlimactic

Partly cloudy, light showers to just make the rosemary and sage fragrant, multifarious songbirds, and a perfect temperature. What a way to start the weekend.

Excellent workout. Beautiful trail with amazing 360 degree views! It gets pretty steep, so hiking boots will help a lot. It's a very thin trail once you start the ascent so not much room for trekking poles. Will do this one again!

I tried out this trail and let me tell you something, it was so cool!! The terrain is not too bad, but when I went it was a little bit muddy and slippery when climbing up. The elevation was more than I thought , but still fine. I saw little kids walking with the parents towards the beginning. Be careful of little pebbles on the inclines because if you just jog and step wrong, let's just say you will have a bad time. over all not bad honestly. I posted a video on my channel. search "richi805 islay hill" it should pop up. will do again

I highly recommend this trail. I completed this trail after the Bishop Peak Trail this morning. It is fairly easy although watch out for the cow pies and the narrow steep path as you near the top.

Look for the cows under the low shade trees. I did this trail twice this week and the first time I didn’t see the cows because they were laying under some low trees. I saw them the second time. Steep long climb- good workout. Great views of the vineyards!

Excellent 360 view of SLO proper and Edna Valley. I watched the sunrise and it was well worth it. Not too steep, nor too many switchbacks. A few too many bugs at the top for my liking, but that's hiking for you sometimes. Quiet and serene. I recommend this for a quick, easy hike with a great view.

Of the SLO peaks, this one is least trafficked and easiest. It’s a little overgrown and there isn’t any shade. Nice views of SLO and Edna Valley from the top.

Easy trail if you want something that’s quick and about an hour long at a decent pace! Love the view from up top

Good little lung buster if you push hard. Nice views from all sides. Needs some maintenance as most of the plants and bushes are growing into the trail, but nothing too major. No shade, so good to do this one when temps aren’t too high.

great hill for an exhausting run. you can do it!

short and sweet

Sat Mar 30 2019

Fun fast hike. If you have an hour this one is excellent. Resent work done on the train track side to fix the trail. Nice & solid. Love this challenge & have even seen ppl running & back down. One women does it in 15 minutes as a daily workout. Beautiful right now with all the rain.

Tue Mar 26 2019

Sat Jan 19 2019

My 8 year old daughter and I went on this trail. It was breathtaking! It was a little tiring as we stopped a couple times to snack and drink water. There are some narrow and steep inclines but overall it was awesome!

Sun Sep 16 2018

I wanted to give this hike a 5 star review however it was a little gravely for me & steep. BUT I loved it! Loved doing it so I ended up giving it 5 stars !!!! Anything is SLO is great as far as walking hiking goes. It was gravely & the trail does need some TLC but it was still a blast & hey. I need new shoes!!! Live Long & Hike On!!! Fellow programs

Fri Sep 07 2018

Islay Hill trail is an easy hike and the views are spectacular of the Central Coast. This hike of Islay Hill is well worth doing, great all year long, maybe not so much in rainy season. This video was shot in the summer so very little of both ticks and Poison oak as hazards if you don't get too close to the sides or go off trail. Lots of wildlife if you look for it, mostly squirrels and rabbits so hawks can always be present. A Virtual Treadmill video of this hike can be seen on my YouTube Channel, copy and paste link below to watch it. Thanks. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFO02nxPdM4-CabegFIPlow?view_as=subscriber

Tue Jul 17 2018

Easy trail!! Nice view

Thu Jan 18 2018

Great hike. Good mix of flat terrain and inclines. Watch for ticks! I walked by a bush and felt one grab on to my hand and later had to pull two off of my dog.