Islay Creek Hazard Peak Loop Trail

Islay Creek Hazard Peak Loop Trail is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Los Osos, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

Gentle grades, well maintained and not too challenging. I’d rate it as Moderate vs Difficult. Not much shade. Recommend staring by going on the north side of the loop/clockwise.

Awesome hike! Beautiful display of native vegetation. Expect to share the trail with mountain bikers.

Monday, January 22, 2018

This was an amazing hike! There is so much to see. I will be going back again!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Super fun! Great views all around

Thursday, January 05, 2017

We did the Hazard peak- islay creek trail. The hike would be something I classify as easy . This was a good hike to do after a few months of a break. The grade is very gentle and before we knew it we were at the peak. The second half of the hike is also pretty. However, be aware of ticks. I am not sure when a tick got onto me during the hike. I discovered the tick a few hours when it started biting me . (This is despite wearing long pants, full sleeved shirt and a hat!)

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Loved this. Easy climb and friendly bikers. Great views all around.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

As mentioned in other reviews, Hazard peak is a 6 mile round trip that is very straightforward. Lots of sun exposure throughout make for a very warm hike, and mountain bikers will come down the hill very fast. The views are however quite nice, pleasant hike.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Nice long trail for a good trail ride. Beautiful views for sure! Parts of the trail were pretty narrow up on the ridge with steep, deep drop offs, which made us a little nervous being on horseback. But so worth it! Definitely would do again.

Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Hazard Peak is a nice long hike in Montana de Oro that has gorgeous views on your way to the summit and of course once you've reached the top of the summit. Not sure why this is attached to another trail on this site, it was only called Hazard Peak when I hiked it and the trail is very well marked. Perhaps there is a split off that I missed where you can take another trail. On Hazard Peak trail keep in mind that they allow bikers as well so if you're on foot keep a look out. They can come zooming around the corner of the trail which is what happened to me! I didn't get knocked over but the trail is narrow so just he aware and listen. ;) This 6-mile round trip hike to the summit spreads plentiful ocean views over a 1,025-foot climb that is gorgeous. I liked this trail because it has such variety -- you start out walking on a sandy trail, then you make your way through trees that look like rainbow trees that you see in Maui (my favorite part), followed by a gradual rocky trail (but not nearly as rocky like Bishops) that takes you up to the summit. It's satisfying yet not too taxing. Valentina peak in comparison I felt was more difficult towards the end. Hazard Peak consistently goes up in elevation gradually, giving you a chance to catch your breath. Nearing the top of the summit there are some drop offs by the edge of the trail before you reach some switchbacks around the mountain that eventually lead you to the summit. Be careful as you make your way up this part of the trail (I believe I remember some ropes to the side that gently remind you to keep to the trail) and enjoy your views of the ocean and Valentia Peak along the way. Don't worry it's safe, I just remember feeling slightly nervous during this segment of the hike. You also feel very far away from everything at this point since it is 3 mikes to the peak and during this part you're completely tucked into the mountains, making you feel like you're in a very remote part of Montana de Oro (haunting yet adrenaline rushing feeling). At least for me anyway. Once at the top there is actually 3 or 4 different places to sit. There is a bench and also a few picnic tables, allowing you the opportunity to sit and enjoy the views if you'd like. I'd definitely do this trail again. There is not a lot of foot traffic if you want something you can explore without interruptions and it offers a new peak to explore and conquer. You can also continue on for another mile and a half to East Boundary Trail after you've reached the summit if you'd like. Enjoy!

recorded New Years Day