Iron Mountain via Ellie Lane Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(329)
Poway, California

Iron Mountain via Ellie Lane Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Poway, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,459 feet Route Type: Loop

Beautiful trail but beware of rattlesnakes! There’s no room to run as the trail is very narrow with tons of bushes. I had to go up throwing rocks ahead of me to warn them of my presence there when a fellow hiker told me he had spotted a snake. If you run you’ll get easily hurt. There’s no room for surprises. Lots of lose rocks. I’d recommend the regular iron mountain trail now. Too much headache trying to spot the next snake! It is a beautiful trail and it’s very quiet. You can hear and see more birds and the view from the back of the mountain is just awesome. Great hike! At the end my GPS showed 8.4 miles, not 7.3.

Eggsellant!!

Super beautiful. Was nice in March. But can imagine it’s super super hot late April through late September. Long winding trail up to a beautiful mountain top that overlooks Northern San Diego County Ocean. You can even see San Diego downtown skyline. Was moderate. Very fun.

Relatively easy out and back trail. amazing views the whole way up the mountain. Large unstable rocks in some places, so watch out. After it's rained there will be a few small steam crossings throughout the trail.

Very rare to do a hike in San Diego and see the streams flow. It was really peaceful. the trail was a little muddy but not too bad.

This is a beautiful trail but I was confused about a few things. First of all on AllTrails there was a sign that said seasonal closure. But this just refers to going off trail. As long as you stay on the trail you are fine. This trail is definitely less traveled and harder than the main Iron Mountain Trail and it is a little easy to get lost. My all trails map wasn’t quite as reliable as usual, or maybe I didn’t start where it started. But we did end up doing the loop correctly maybe in reverse. I definitely would not do this during rattlesnake season as there are some narrow bushy trails.

Started out on the iron mountain trail to the summit, came back via the Ellie trail and wild horse trail, stopping at Ramona overlook. Iron mountain was very busy in the late morning, the rest was nice and peaceful. Rocky but not too difficult.

Lots of rocks to climb over. overall an awesome hike. beautiful views arty the top. Took about 1.5 hours but for beginners maybe 3hrs total. bring water and maybe a snack.

More of a moderate than hard hike. Enjoyable none the less, with gorgeous views. On Ellie trail, hardly saw anyone up until hitting the Iron mountain trail. Both trails are very rocky, so a good pair of hiking shoes is in order. Don’t think trekking poles are really necessary, unless you want the extra stability. Definitely at least have 1-2L of water, because it’s better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Wasn’t very challenging, but still an enjoyable hike.

UPDATE PUP OWNERS my Boxer had 4 very tiny ticks on him when we returned home. Just a heads up. I’m from Hawaii and not well versed but I randomly thought to check him and sure enough. I went the flat rock way! Hike was about 10 miles overall. Booty kicking. Parked in the chill lot and went left the entire time. Man o man I’m not saying much more cause it was two hours before seeing another soul with that being sad. It was hard and beautiful. Mountain Lion growled at me and my dog by the lake there’s a ton of marsh and tall grass that’s their favorite places to be. So I’m just grateful my pup was on a leash. This trail if you take flat rock to Ellie is very brushy.

Great hike. Lots of parking.

The views throughout the entire hike are incredible. The trails marked and easy to follow. One of my favorite hikes so far.

So fun. I went clockwise and enjoyed it. Left the trailhead 15min before sunrise and the trail stayed pretty cool until the end (8:30am) and I didn't see any snakes. Get out there early to beat the heat and the crowds.

A great little walk in the morning. It’s hot and dusty. I usually start at the Ellie ln. side and go clockwise around. Worth the time to hike it.

This is far superior to the iron mountain trail. It’s much less heavily trafficked, more challenging and scenic. To complete the loop you do need to be on the iron mountain main trail for 3/4 of a mile or so which really detracts from the total hike. Overall a great hike for people and woof’s.

I really enjoy this hike. The first portion of the hike is not crowded at all. The trail is in great condition!! This is a good hike for kids, my 10 and 12 yr olds are able to do this without any issues. The climb is mellow so nothing too steep.