Iron Mountain Trail

Iron Mountain Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Poway, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Amazing view at the top. Some steep rocky parts but worth it!

I'd say the difficulty of this hike would be similar to Cowles Mtn. The big difference is that its longer. My recording said 5.4 miles, me and my husbands fitbits said 7.2 miles and the only other place we walked was to my truck and back.
There is a reason why people flock to this mountain:
1.The views and photo ops are incredible
2.Great workout
3. The trail is maintained and wide
We started this hike at about 5:55 AM because I pay attention to the weather. We spent almost an hour at the top so the hike down was difficult due to the heat. I don't know how some people can bring a 16 oz water bottle and start at 10 AM.
I chugged my 1.5 liter camelpak and ran into a seasoned backpacker who told us it was 100 degrees in the sun and 86 in the shade. That's another thing, not too much shade- so consider that. Do this in the wee hours of the morning or later in the day.

One of the classic San Diego hikes and one of my regular standbys. Walked it again this morning. As noted in other writeups, it's a well maintained trail with some rocky segments that require a bit of additional care to avoid taking a fall. As is the case in most mountain hikes, the nearer the summit, the rockier the trail. Early in the hike, I personally prefer the marked 0.6 mile alternative loop that begins about 0.4 miles into the hike and exits the road to the right. It is an actual trail rather than a road and is therefore a little more interesting. The two approaches to the mountain join before the real climb begins.

My buddy and I did this at night to catch the full moon. Spectacular view of the moon and the hills to the east. If you've got some binoculars laying around, bring them, especially if the moon is full.

The trail is well maintained and very easy to follow; the terrain is fairly mild with some rocky parts to watch underfoot so as not to trip yourself. Hiking boots or comfy trail runners will serve you equally well. A snack and 2L of water should be plenty in the way of supplies, though more water is better if it's hot and/or humid.

Is a very nice trail , we started at 750 am and we finished at 1120 am iron mountain trail good signs all the way up bring lots of water u will needed we had a great morning can't wait till we do it again

Easy to navigate, pretty views! If you go during hot weather, make sure to bring plenty water.

My favorite hike in San Diego!