Iron Mountain Trail

Iron Mountain Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Poway, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

amazing!! watch out for rattle snakes and tarantulas

I've done Iron Mtn several times. Great view

Awesome views

Did this trail for the first time and it didn't disappoint. We hit the trail at 5:40am. It was still dark out but it's virtually impossible to get lost. Lots of fog and a slight mist when we started, but once we reached the peak we were above the clouds, it was sunny and the views were epic. It's a good challenge technically. For the most part the trail is wide enough for two way traffic, clearly marked and not too technical.
If there's a downside I would say too many people later in the morning/day. We beat the rush because we started so early, but when we got to our car the parking lot was maxed out and people were either waiting for a spot or parking across street on the highway. We made it to the top took our time for photos, snack and be back to the parking lot before 8am.

I really Loved this hike. I suggest going in the early morning because as noted in the reviews it is very hot. There were a lot of people bringing dogs that looked very overheated. I don't suggest bringing a dog in the summer months or an older dog on this hike. The view is amazing and the workout is great. If you are hiking alone this is a great location because you have a lot of other people on the mountain should you run into trouble.

It's more like 6.5 miles. We left at 10:15 and returned at 1:40 with a very short rest at the top. We are old & and slow going. There's rarely shade and it can get pretty hot. Bring cold water, hiking poles and hiking boots. Great hike now that we are in an air conditioned car!

Beautiful views. Steep in some parts. Very rocky but very doable. Did this for a sunset/moon rise hike.

Nice and well maintained trail. Really good views from the summit. No shade on the trail so it gets very warm during summers. My suggestion is to start as early as possible. You might get lucky and get some fog in the morning which keeps cooler temps. Also wear good hiking boots coz it's a rocky trail.