Iron Lakes Trail

Iron Lakes Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fish Camp, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Absolutely fantastic trail. One note, you will need to turn onto 5S92 from 5S39. The marker on the map is right about where 5S92 is. Then you drive for a few miles and then find the Iron Lakes trail marker. I drove our mostly stock 4wd excursion about half way up the 1.5 mile trail. You definitely need 4wd but nothing extreme. I probably could have made it the whole way but my wife wanted to hike. We also took our kids and had blast. Lots of great views. There is also more than one lake so make sure you hike around. Elevation is probably around 8,500 to 9,000 ft. We checked somewhere while we were driving and it was 8500. I just cant' remember where we checked. It probably wasn't lower than Iron Lakes.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Trail was great, from sky ranch it's about 18 miles to the 5S92 mild trail nothing crazy. We drove to the bottom camp ground. The last section was steep and had slippery slate rock. The views were amazing and the lake was perfect.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Trail is a little difficult to find, but worth it once you do. It's a great view with a beautiful lake.

Sunday, August 23, 2015

We followed an off-road trail from Sky Ranch Road to the lake. The trail is very steep, climbing at approximately an eleven (11) percent grade. The first mile of the hike and the trail down to the lake are the very steep. The rest of the trail is a constant uphill gradual climb. You travel about 2.3 miles from the Sky Ranch Road to the trail head to the lake. The off road trail you have been on will continue to other parts of the back country. The trail is covered with small loose rocks that you find on off trails, but the traction over them is not bad. The dry dust that covered the rocks is what made the trail it's most treacherous. You travel the off road trail to an overlook of the lake, and the trail converts to a hiking only trail down to the lake. You hike through a forest that is full, lush and still growing. It was a very green with just a few wild flowers left showing their brilliance. In the spring, I think you would be able to see many different colorful varieties. Off to your right you see iron mountain. You can tell the mountain by it's distinctive brownish color. There are many rock formations to climb, and more just to sit in awe of the area. This trail is a combination of great vistas and small snippets of natures beauty. It is a trail worth taking.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Easy trail. Did it ina 2000 Dodge Durango with 31 inch tires. beautiful lake and views. There are some nice looking camp sites. As for directions they sucked. You must stay on 6S10 then turn left on 5S92.

Monday, June 23, 2014

It was a little hard to find for being my first time up there but once we got there it was awesome. Took my father-in-laws full size Chevy and it was tight going around some turns. Hiked down to the lake and did an overnighter it was awesome minus the Mosquitos. Well worth the drive for its beautiful scenery will definitely go again. Maybe in a jeep or something else that size.

Sunday, February 16, 2014

My review is a question. I hiked all the way up and down the steep trail to the lake from the parking area at the trail head, had lunch, swam, napped, and then hiked back to the car. My friend has breathing difficulties. He can go to 5,000 ft., but needs oxygen at around 5,500 ft. elevation. What is the elevation at the parking area? At the crest? At the lake? Does anyone know? How do I find out the elevations on-line? I threw away all my topo maps last year when I moved from Santa Cruz to Los Angeles.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Friday, January 11, 2013

The most beautiful lake I've seen so far. Take a drive up and hike down. We go every Summer.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Many Many Many single and double tracks to 4x4 on and you can spend multiple days out here exploring. plethora of campgrounds, Domes and Granite rocks to climb and boulder on and over. Beautiful lakes abound for fishing and swimming, truly and outdoorsman's paradise. Rednecks a plenty out here, just smile and wave.