Inspiration Point via Mount Lowe Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(68)
Angeles National Forest

Inspiration Point via Mount Lowe Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near La Canada Flintridge, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length5.4 miElevation gain1,338 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashHikingMountain bikingNature tripsBird watchingrunningViewsBugsRockySnowNo shade
Description
Waypoints (0)

Note: Red Box Road may periodically be closed and you may need to park elsewhere to access this trail.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (70)
Photos (1,523)
Recordings (74)
Completed (320)
Renee P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 10, 2020

Did this as a New Year's 2020 day hike, don't recall the trails we took, but it was about 15 miles round-trip. I took my little 12lbs dog, she's active and was able to hang for most of the hike, I carried her through some really overgrown parts, snowy areas and the last 2 miles There was snow on the backside as we were heading up to the point and having a long sleeve shirt was nice because not much sun it got pretty chilly. snow was on the ground in certain areas.

Laura Veronica
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 19, 2020
Running
View Laura's Recording
Owen Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 16, 2020
View Owen's Recording
Kyle Sears
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 11, 2020
View Kyle's Recording
Dave Schmave
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeOver grownRocky

Moderately trafficked. Got here at 7 AM and started feeling the heat on the way out

View Dave's Recording
Yvette Alexandra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 24, 2020
HikingNo shadeRockyScramble

Started this hike around 9am and it was too late for a summer day. No shade (whole trail fully exposed) and I had my dog with me. I can tell the rocky trail and heat was too much for him so we had to turn around with about .5 miles to go to the view point. I would not bring my dog even on cooler weather. There was a section that was rocky and we had to scramble. Also there were mountain bikers and hard to get out of the way, with a dog, when the trail is narrow. There were beautiful views so I will return when it’s cooler without my dog. I’m going to study the trails and probably take a different route to skip that rocky steep area. I rather not hike in areas like that. There was a lot going on so I forgot to mark it on my route but .2 miles away, I did drop a note.

View Yvette's Recording
Blake Kollefrath
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Views for days. Narrow trail along the rocky mountain sides but not scary. Didn’t see a snake until inspiration point next to the telescopes. Lots of lizards. The way back is a tough incline so make sure you bring a snack and water to enjoy while sitting under the shade at inspiration point. I went the shorter but more difficult way back, had to scramble and climb some rocks which was fun. Cool tunnel. Very few other hikers, most people had poles but I didn’t find them necessary. I will be back and do more exploring since there are so many other trails that link to this one.

View Blake's Recording
Jackie Learn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 16, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail. I started too late in the day. Even though the temperatures weren’t extreme, but got really dehydrated regardless. That sun is intense. Will go early in the morning vs mid day.

View Jackie's Recording
Emily Van Ness
HikingBugsNo shade

Tough climb on the way back. And quite exposed. The great views made it worth it. One very slippery rocky section but good trail overall

View Emily's Recording
Jorge Castillo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeRocky

Accidentally came here getting lost from mount lowe trail haha...but the view was amazing. It’s rocky which took a toll on my ankles but it was nice! Also on the way back there was no shade :(

Jamie Hart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 21, 2020
HikingBugsNo shade

I got lost like three times because of confusing trail signs. There is also a part with very steep slippery rocks

View Jamie's Recording
Agnieszka Rykaczewska
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020
HikingRocky

Accidentally missed the turn to the trail (look for stairs to the left) so ended up taking the easy route to Inspiration Point, then returning via Mount Lowe. We’re relatively beginner hikers, so this hike was a stretch for us, but the incredible views from the top of Mount Lowe were well worth the effort. Puts Inspiration Point to shame - for a solid two minutes all we could say was Wow. One of the best hikes I’ve taken.

Stephanie Ruiz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 9, 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeRocky

We didn’t exactly followed the trail. At the water tank fork we continued straight on mt Lowe motorway. According to my Apple Watch the total hike was 7.11 miles that route. Take plenty of water and good grip shoes, there’s a lot of loose gravel. And bring bug spray!!! It’s bugs galore over there

Emily Sluiman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 22, 2020
Hiking

Today 5/22, Red Box Road is closed. You may still access the trailhead by parking near the 2/RB junction. It is 2.5 miles to the Eaton Saddle trailhead. Road and trail conditions were good.

View Emily's Recording
Steve L
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 8, 2020
HikingRocky

This is the best path from Eaton Saddle to Inspiration Point, it might be a little tough on the way back, but it's a lot more interesting than the Mt Lowe Motorway which is just longer and boring.

Will Iam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 5, 2020
HikingBugsClosedRockySnow