Learn more

Inspiration Point Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(196)
Yosemite National Park

Inspiration Point Trail is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,043 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Yosemite National Park is open to those with reservations begining on Thursday, June 11. See the park website for more info: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/covid19.htm Be inspired to swap the Tunnel View crowds for a serene way to experience Yosemite's signature vista. If the Tunnel View crowds are getting between you and one of Yosemite's most famous viewpoints, consider the short hike up to Inspiration Point where you can admire this signature Yosemite Valley scene on your lonesome. Before the 1930s construction of the Wawona Tunnel and the adjacent parking area, this road heading out of Yosemite Valley snaked precariously up and down the hillside. Now overgrown with manzanita and new pines, Inspiration Point is the former parking spot located on the old road.

Nice hike. As folks mention the top is still covered in trees so you won’t have *amazing* views but it is nice and peaceful. The trail was easy to find

Great starter hike coming into Yosemite. Inspiration Point gives you a beautiful overlook of Yosemite Valley for a pretty easy hike up and down. BONUS.... We only saw 3 people during our hike. Get there early and spend some quality time with Pacha Mama. This may be your only chance to experience it like this.

Hiked this trail a few days ago to watch the sunrise with my 8 yr old daughter. Easy trail with moderate incline. Don’t do this hike if you’re trying to get a better view then the Tunnel View parking area. The best view on the trail is .3 mile up, the top was partially blocked by trees even when you hiked down to the lower area just past Inspiration Point

Good moderate hike with steady incline and rocky terrain.

Beautiful fun little hike. Got here early and we were the only ones on the trail.

Tried to hike this in late June 2019. Tried to follow the trail, but we kept losing it because everything was so overgrown and we weren’t even sure if we were on the trail or if we were on a parallel trail created by people like us or an animal track. No idea. Tried it a few different ways before giving up because we didn’t want to get lost, hurt, or damage anything.

I hate to give anything in Yosemite below 5 stars, but I just can’t go there. It’s a great option to avoiding the horrendous crowds, selfies sticks, and marriage proposals all combined at the popular “tunnel view” location, which one can’t deny its beauty. So... just off to the side of the party is this short, easy trail that provides the same view, only more intimate; you get it all to yourself. It’s the easiest 1k of gain I hiked. Is it actually 400 ft? Maybe I was feeling frisky- but if this hike is a challenge for you- you should strongly re-consider your health. And I don’t mean that as an asshat- I mean that as a nurse with a pointed finger. You will not get the up close and personal gorgeous granite rock exposure Jon Muir so eloquently writes about. It’s just a dirt trail. Short story long, there are better. But if it’s you and the fam, you’re not trying to be a bad ass, don’t have a lot of time, or you just HAVE to propose with the tunnel view- yes yes yes.

icy

I went late Dec 2019. There was snow at the very top! This was such an exciting surprise!! Snow boots/shoes are a must and warm jackets. Proper snows will help with the loose rocks too. Hike was pretty easy. Took my 8 year old sister. We were the only ones on the trail this time of year. The hike up had no snow, just the tippy top.

Moderately challenging hike.

Straight up hill but so worth the hike. Spectacular views.

Short hike that took us about 2hrs to hike this trail. The beginning of the trail starts in the south lot with stairs leading up. It's a very rocky trail that has a lot of elevation gains with one section that you almost have to climb up. Great view on top, we brought a hammock and chairs and had a lazy afternoon of hanging out. We picked up a lot of trash from other people, rude! Pick up your trash people, doesn't help that it's a very touristy spot so maybe some people don't care if they're just stopping by. Trail was moderately busy, we ran into more people than I expected but it's not too trafficked with long stretches to ourselves. Worth the hike for the view!

A good trail that provides all the solitude one couldn't possibly experience at Tunnel View. We only met 4 people on the entire trail while Tunnel View was packed with cars and buses. That alone make that trail worth it all.

Nice trail, amazing view. No crowds. Go there at sunset.

This was surprisingly one of my favorite hikes on my recent CA trip. I'm not sure why some other reviewers found it difficult to navigate, I thought the trail was really well maintained. It basically goes up around 1k feet within <1.5 miles, which is steep, but doable when taking breaks. The reason I loved this trail, however, was Inspiration Point itself: the view itself is not that different to the Tunnel View at parking. But I was up there for about half an hour all alone (!) - on a Saturday at 10.30am. So if you want to enjoy the view to Yosemite Valley in a quiet environment rather than around hundreds of people, this is the way to go.

Did this at the end of the day with 2 kids. They had a rough time going up from just being tired, but we made much better time going down and they were cheerier. They would have preferred more scrambling sections, but it is what it is. I think if we did this earlier in the day it would have gone much better, but the sun wasn’t a problem for us at this time of day. We only passed one couple as we went up, and one small group as we went down (A Wednesday late afternoon in late August).

Tried this after a long day in Yosemite with 2 kids. Was in a bit of a rush to try and beat sunset over the valley, and a hiker on the way back down said he saw a small bear 15 minutes up the trail and turned around. Because of tired kids and apprehension about the bear, we only went .3 miles or so up the trail - enough for some elevated views over the parking lot. Would have loved to do the whole trail, but it wasn’t meant to be.

Don't do it! Rock climbing and trail not well marked. I'm shocked Yosemite NP doesn't have this trail cleaned up more. It does however have an amazing tunnel view. This had to be the most disappointing trail at YNP. I'm shocked people are saying easy hike. Did they really hike this? I hiked Half Dome and 75% was easier than this.

Hiked this one last summer with my arm in sling after rotator cuff surgery. Easy, would be good with an adventorous family. Stop and have lunch at resort afterwards.

Make sure you go down to the rocky outcrop just below the top of the trail to get the best views of the valley. It’s marked on the map.

Thu May 23 2019

Very muddy, running water down a good part of the trail, maybe partially due to lots of rain and snow this week. A couple fallen trees to navigate, where being short finally came in handy. Too foggy to see any great views, but we completed it just to say we did :D

Mon May 20 2019

Great moderate trail for new hikers seeking to up their game with constant incline. We went up on a foggy, snowy day so we weren’t able to see much of the valley, but it was still worth it to see the tree at the top.

Sat May 18 2019

Hiked this trail today and loved it. Beautiful views of El Cap, Bridalveil Falls, and Half Dome. Easy route to follow, very mild switchbacks with such beautiful views. We added on Artist Point for another ~.5 mile or so and it was well worth it. The trail was empty and had both viewpoints to ourselves.