Indian Creek Recreation Area Trails

Indian Creek Recreation Area Trails is a 8.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Markleeville, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,499 feet Route Type: Loop

I stayed at the Indian Creek campgrounds, which was awesome and hiked the lake, staying as close to shoreline as possible. We were not able to get all of the way around due to some barriers. I believe that I got 3/4 of the way before having to turn around. The hike was easy to moderate. lots of beautiful birds and wild flowers. Geese and poop for days, mossy shore and mucky. The kids enjoyed observing the nature and the millions of tiny shells and mini hikes surrounding the area. The evenings were comfortable and sunset was beautiful. I dont recommend going into the water. Fishing was ok.

As a member of Alpine Trails Association here in Markleeville, i can attest to all the trails here. The Interpative loop at Curtz lake is the only one ATA oversees. I oversee the rest. Summit Lake trail is an ongoing 4yr experience for me solo. I have personally revitalized the old Youth Conservation Corp. trail. After many years of neglect it is a viable hiking and biking trail. Mtb riders beware..it looks easy at the summit but a whole slew of varied terrain including pyroclastic flow rocks. You can get hurt! Not recommended for horses!..Final note: if your not an accomplished rider, your out of your league. No skidders please! I will search you out! Or if you wish of the many more miles I've connected and cleared, look me up on FB. WileysWheelWorks and DarrellWiley65 on YouTube.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Long climb up then beautiful little lake. Took long,easy road route back. Rain, wind, hail for the last hour!

Saturday, April 14, 2018

trail from the reservoir up to summit lake and onwards to the Carson River is great and well maintained singletrack. from them on be prepared to get tons of scratches as the trail mostly disappears till the switchbacks up out of the canyon. The climb out is grueling and the trail is overgrown... once out of the canyon I lost the trail and ended on a forest road that took me to the airstrip...... tried to follow a dirt road back to my car but that also disappeared. fun times but not ideal for running

Thursday, October 26, 2017

A beautiful hike to take with dogs. Summit Lake is gorgeous!

Thursday, May 19, 2016

I hiked the Summit Lake Trail in this area. Couldn't find the Cortez Trail the other person mentioned, or a trail where the map shows as the starting point. I took Airport Rd all the way to the end where the campground and Indian Creek Lakes are. Summit Lake is 1.5 miles from the campground... and another mile pass that it says it connects to Carson River Trail. Summit Lake wasn't much... but nice hike

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Not a beginner trail. The end is very steep! Beautiful view. Hard to find from the road. The sign calls it Cortez Trail, but locals told us that we were on the correct trail.

Wednesday, May 09, 2018