For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Independence Trail West is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Nevada City, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.9 mi Elevation gain 429 ft Route type Out & Back

Bugs

Muddy

Description
Waypoints (0)

Note: The downward ramp to river toward first quarter is out of commission. This trail is wheelchair friendly when properly maintained, but sometimes rocks or down trees make the path more difficult to navigate in a wheelchair. Do not take Jones Barr Road in vehicle to west side of trail unless you have an off road vehicle and are experienced off road driver. Google shockingly routed us down this road to get to the trail without any warnings about the road condition.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (385)
Photos (521)
Recordings (155)
Completed (985)
Naomi Juarez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 5, 2020
Hiking

Meh.....I was excited to see a waterfall but it was all dried up. It a no effort walk with not much for scenery. The bridges are pretty cool. It’s a great place to walk your dog or stretch your legs for a picnic with the kiddos. No challenge at all.

Deanna M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

More like a walk. No waterfall, overgrown past the bridge & bugs. Nice stroll up to bridge, wouldn’t bother going past that.

Leonor Borges
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
HikingRocky
View Leonor's Recording
Jessica Slack
Hiking

The best time to hike this trail is during fall and winter. The trail is too crowded right now during the summer months.

Lori Keiser Usher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful and easy trail. Parking was ridiculously difficult today. It’s a good trail for littles... up to the waterfall. But after that the trail narrows and there is a ton of poison oak. Practically impossible to not touch poison oak with three littles in tow. Shady 90% of the time. The ramp down to the waterfall is closed. On our way in there were a ton of people that had walked down there but on the way back no one. Not sure where the 4.9 miles comes from because we did a total of 5.5 to 6 miles and we turned around before there was any indication that the trail ended. We came across a few people who had turned around before the trail ended. Overall very pretty and the smell of the woods would bring me back! Gotta find where the trail actually ends!

Nathan Zorndorf
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 20, 2020
Hiking

It’s great that it is the nation’s first wheelchair accessible hiking trail, however I’m reviewing this trial as a non-disabled person, and as such I’m really not the intended user of this trail. There’s not really any views at any point during the trail, nor were there any active streams (I went in July) to cross and refill water. The saving grace of this trail for me was the Yuba River. There are trails down to it near the start of the independence trail, a bit further down the road. Dipping into the River was just the absolute best after a hot hike on the independence trail. Like I said, cool that this is a wheelchair accessible trail, but I wouldn’t recommend it if you are not disabled.

Tuesday Rubsam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
HikingGreat!

My daughter and I went today and took our husky... It really is a super nice walk but we did not get to complete it due to my hound got a little tired. We got in about 2 1/2 miles in before we turned around, but I want to go back and complete it to see the waterfall. We got there about 830 am and only ran into a couple of people, but by the time we turned around to come back, man a butt load of people started to come down the trail. So GO EARLY!

Ana Salazar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
Hiking

Absolutely loved this trail the bridge was gorgeous and super shady recommend everyone when they want a nice beginner hike!

Lorraina Minnehan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 16, 2020
HikingBugsOver grownRocky

it was super beautiful going right when getting to trail entrance. I definitely recommend going down the something bar way. it is .4 miles of super steep, super slick, some parts narrow, very rocky. I'd go that way and do the entire 3.6 mile loop. well worth it if you go that way first, otherwise the last .4 miles are torturous stair masters as someone commented before. I was sooooo not ready for it. I forgot my boots and ended up hiking in platform sketchers flip flops the entire way. so many cute places to see. many places with benches and picnic tables.

View Lorraina's Recording
Christina Chestnutt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 14, 2020
Hiking

Fun trail lots of shade. We didn’t see any water which sucked cause we were expecting a waterfall.

Scott Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 3, 2020
Hiking

Easy, flat trail, great for kids and dogs, dense forest. Not much to see after the overlook.

Monica Marquez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 29, 2020
HikingOver grown

Kinda long. There isn't much to see after the big bridge. But still very nice. Not so many bugs but your bug spray will still come in handy. Lots of shade.

Cressida Fuzie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 28, 2020
Hiking

Very easy, anti-climactic trail.

View Cressida's Recording
Dena Proctor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 28, 2020

I found it a little boring. Not much to see once you pass the bridges. It would be a nice easy hike with kids.

Derek Chibroski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 27, 2020
Hiking

Kind of boring but plenty of shade. Some fun bridges to walk over. No water at end of trail unless you keep going past the published trail on AllTrails. We didn’t venture forth so don’t have experience with that.

View Derek's Recording
Luis Oseguera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 22, 2020
View Luis's Recording
Melanie Intiso
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 20, 2020
Hiking

Easy unique trail. Bring your bug spray though. We got attacked by mosquitoes when we first arrived.

vina s.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020

free parking, very easy flat trail, some mosquitos ... mostly shaded ... beautiful view at the rush creek... part of the wooden bridge is close but you can still enjoy the breathtaking view. we were on the way back by 10-11am .... we met bunchesss hikers just starting so can be heavy traffic at a later day. enjoy! *lots of parking spaces- free *toilet at the entrance *picnic tables along the way

Jonah Hendler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 15, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

Awesome little jaunt. Nice and easy walk/hike. The bridges are awesome. Even the parts that were “closed”. Had lunch by the waterfall. Saw a salamander and a caterpillar. Beautiful.

Anairam N
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2020
HikingBugs

Easy trail, flat surface to walk, plenty of shade, lots of green plants, have your eyes wide open to see tiny plants, Caterpillars, if you go on a raining day you will see a California Newts also please bring a mosquito repellent .. there’s a lot of mosquitos

Kim Hough
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 12, 2020
Hiking

I loved this trail so beautiful. I took Jones Bar back to the car and it was much more difficult all uphill.

IG&SC __B.BossMO4K__
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 5, 2020
HikingBugs

Plenty of shades no need for any hat at all. The trail is super duper easy.

Derrick Gardner
HikingBridge outBugs

This trail was lovely, not a difficult trail to walk, though I didn’t complete the whole hike. I went in August of 2019. There is a lot of shade most of the trails. Bring bug spray. My only real complaint is the wooden deck path to the waterfall. I hope it gets fixed. Wish there was better of maintenance of the structures on this path.

Amber S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 2, 2020
Hiking

Lots of poison oak past the long bridge. Be careful. Especially with little ones.

Alison Trujillo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 2, 2020
Hiking

Good flat trail with decent shade for a hot day. We walked for a few minutes past the longest bridge and waterfall, then turned back because the trail became overgrown with poison oak. The trail didn’t feel crowded because a lot of folks headed down to the river.