Independence Trail West

Independence Trail West is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Nevada City, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Highly recommended for fun and family day. It’s totally shady trail and easy

Nice, easy and well maintained trail...until you get to the end part which looks overgrown but it’s still nice all the same.

I was not disappointed with this trail! Lush green ferns, wooden bridges, beautiful waterfalls and well maintained trails. There is plenty of shade to keep you cool. This is now one of my favorite places to hike!

This is such a nice trail and such an easy path to follow. The best feature is the bridge. A little disappointed in the end of the trail until my son found a beautiful spot to sit and look over the valley and river below. I’ll be back to this one.

Loved this Trail.

Beautiful hike, kid friendly & easy for non hikers. picnic areas. Options in the area to lengthen your hike.

great family hike.

Great trail for family!!!!

Great easy hike! Lots of trees, and all flat trail. During the wet times of the year you may find some cool red salamanders! The trail is not a loop, so if that’s what you’re looking for it isn’t this

Great for the kids

simple access. good parking but the trail is partially cut off so you can't make a loop.

Really great trail, easy to follow and I can see this being family friendly, a large stretch could easily be used for a stroller if you have small kids.

Random, I pulled over 50 ticks of my German Shepherd. And 5 ticks off my Lab. The lab tends to not be interested in bushes or smelling, so he stays center to the trail. But the Shepherd loves to run through bushes and sniff, so maybe there were a lot in the tall grasses?

I’d still come back, but maybe during a different time of year.

We enjoyed hiking the West Independence Trail yesterday. We just wanted to point out that we pulled over thirty ticks off our Vizsla and several off of ourselves.

beautiful view

Shady +, not much climb -, cool bridges ++

It depends what you're trying to do here. If you want a work out, this isn't the trail for you. Extremely flat but very pretty especially during the rainy season. The trail itself is very well maintained, but the bridge and the "Switchback" area I believe it is called need some major love. Lots of holes in the boards, not the most inviting

Pretty hot, flat hike, the switchback wasn’t open.

The trail is very accessible, easy to follow, and not super crowded. The Switchback is closed unfortunately which was the cool part, and the trail ends suddenly at a road. Bathrooms at the trail entrance, use at your own discretion!

Great shaded trail wide enough for stroller (jogging style). No inclines or declines so it was a nice smooth walk or jog. Lots of spots to stop along the way for a break if needed to. Not sure though how far it goes as we only got about about 1.69mi in and there was a large tree across path blocking our safe route with stroller so we called it quits and headed back unfortunately. Would like to try East side next time and see where that goes. Not a ton of parking so get their fairly early. Bathrooms are right at beginning of trail only (pretty typical of a trail of course). After the trail head back in your car another quarter mile up the road and take a nice dip in the beautiful scenic river which also offers more trails but for more advanced hikers.

Easy interesting trail and very pretty. We took a detour via the jones bar trail down to the river and that part was definitely challenging.