Independence Trail West

Independence Trail West is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Nevada City, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

11 minutes ago

Knawr kwnar.

Great trail. Really enjoyable views while walking. Even though it's popular, there was quite a distance of time between seeing people.

Nice hike, very pretty.
We did bump it up and did the East, West, and the Jones Bar Loop for a total of 10 miles. Jones Bar Rd. isn't as pretty or well marked; but a great hill workout, with a beautiful pool and falls at the bottom of the steep, rocky trail.

Nice hike

Wonderful Trail. Great for hotter days as it has lots of trees as well as options to go to Jones Bar on the South Yuba trail. It follows a gold rush era flume so amazing rock work abounds. As other reviewers have noted some repair is needed on some of the bridges but it is easy to access the salamander viewing area and the wonderful swimming areas.

Not my favorite trail. Flat. Boring. The part of the trail that is basically a long bridge, needs serious work. There were cones covering up many holes and a lot of the boards are split all the way down the middle. Very unsafe in my opinion. The creek and river were rushing, nice to see so much water lately, but you can find that all over the place.

Nice trail but very crowded in the summer. Like that there are stairs right down to the water.

This trail was definitely not wheelchair accessible. There were rocks and trees blocking the path and it was narrow, overgrown, and muddy in many places.

It was pretty easy and mostly flat. We didn't enjoy it too much, especially after you pass the wooden bridge the path isn't maintained well and for some odd reason my gf and I both got a spooky feeling the further we went but we finished the hike and we were safe.

The first mile or so of the hike is the best and all you really need to enjoy it. The bridge and the walkway leading down to the water is the best part but we don't plan on going back.

Absolutely love this trail! Can't wait to go back to explore a little more! Great place for photographs .. kid friendly. Absolutely beautiful! One thing I didn't like was all the poison oak EVERYWHERE!

so awesome. take the West trial after .6 miles there is a bench or table every .10 of a mile. about 1 mile is a picnic table. Great for old or young with strollers all flat. bathrooms only at the beginning of the trail and if you have a stroller or handicap person drop off at the first time parking area past that point it's kinda dangerous to walk across the twisting road.

We took the Independence Trail West route and even though it was muddy from all the rain, it was just beautiful. It was full of Moss covered rocks and trees and ferns filled the trailhead. It reminded me of a mini Pacific Northwest. The bridges were fun to walk across and photograph. We went early in the morning and had the place to ourselves for a gorgeous, peaceful walk.

Beautiful hike today! Very dog friendly and the sounds,smells, and foliage were abundant. I can't wait to take my kids and hubby back here. Definitely worth the trip