Independence Trail West

Independence Trail West is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Nevada City, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Was a great little trail. We had it all to ourselves.
This would be a great walk for young children as well.
We had an illusion that we were walking slightly down hill both ways

the west trail is actually a loop of you take Jones bar and hike on the service road for a bit. you will see where the west trail meets the road. Take that back to the trail head. Very nice and shady. The most difficult part was the incline on the service road. we then went to to the east trail. This is an in and out trail. Easy and flat.

We weren’t impressed. This is an in and out hike, which we knew to begin with. The hike halfway in was nice and very easy. It was also wide enough and very level for wheel chair accessibility. The wooden switchback was blocked off and deemed unsafe. We were able to navigate our way down but definitely not accessible in a wheelchair. It was the only point on the hike that any water was visible. The second half of the way in was level and very easy for an able person. The trail narrowed to the point that a wheel chair would not fit and tons of poison oak encroached the path. There was also two fallen trees blocking the path. The trail led to an end of trail marker...a huge disappointment for myself and my two teen boys. Apparently, in other reviews, we could have crossed what appeared to be a county maintained gravel road and scaled down some boulders to a swim pond. Didn’t realize that until later. We headed back and then drove down the hill to the bridge where we joined several others at the swimming hole. Lots of fun there. Next time, that’s where we will spend our time.

I am in a wheelchair (power) and this was amazing!!

Just wanted to clarify that following the dirt road to the right at the end of the trail leads to an absolutely beautiful spot but the loop back to the trail is a very tough vertical hike. You will find it on the other side of a wooden foot bridge.

so much beauty

Easy hike. Bring bug spray and watch for poison oak. It’s everywhere. We were a little confused about .5 miles into hike there was a trail that leads down. Jones Bar. We took it and realized a mile in that we were off the trail and had to turn around. So stay on the upper trail.

It's a very easy walk for strollers, well-behaved pets, and well-behaved 4-year-olds... but it's too easy to be a real "hike". I absolutely love that it's wheelchair accessible, and I saw a young lady out enjoying her outing with seemingly no problems. The view is amazing with beautiful flora!! The trail is clean and very well groomed with picnic tables and benches, but long pants are advised as Poison Oak grows in abundance near (and onto!) the pathway. Some areas can get hot where the breeze just doesn't reach.

Nice botany hike with my CNPS colleagues. A lot of cool plants along the this little snippet of trail. I want to go back and hike some other areas, soon. Although I will be looking at plants, I can get more miles in with a smaller group.

Too easy for a hike but definitely a breath taking beautiful nature walk. Oh I forgot the mosquito repellent and was bit many times so don’t forget yours.

beautiful hike! i knew better then to leave the house without bug spray(lesson learned). There is many mosquitoes and a ton of poison oak . it was so nice overall and i will be going again forsure. very easy hike

Amazing

beautiful easy trail with good accessibility.

Nice walk - nothing difficult. Not well marked at the end so tough to get down to the river. We ended up using a “trail” that required we navigate some big boulders (and lots of poison oak) but in the end it was all worth it

Great, easy hike with great views. We didn’t know you can make a loop and go down to the river. We went to the end of the trail and turned around and went back the way we came, so I would suggest that if you want to get to the river turn right at end end of the trail and follow the dirt road. All in all a really great hike.

The trail was awesome, easily accessible, and beautiful! The weather was perfect and the trail is full of many shady spots along the way to let the dogs take a rest and drink! The only reason the trail didn’t get 5 stars is due to the fact that there were massive amounts of poison oak growing alongside the trail, mosquitos (shady, moist, and warm, we should have known lol), and water access was not possible with the dogs...the descent was too steep. If you can handle the cons then the trail is MOST DEFINITELY worth the pros!

Great trail for your dogs, beautiful butterflies 曆. Trail is easy and many wooden bridges to cross.

Awesome!

Gorgeous hike. I love the bridges and there was a lot of newts or salamanders. Fairly easy terrain . Not sure that we went the right way as we followed the trail straight the whole way and ended up scaling down the mountain to the rocks and waterfall area below. It was pretty steep getting down and back up but the water below is worth it.
We also wound up across from the nude beach which was entertaining .

Anyone been there recently? Wondering how water is currently. Speed of water safe for kids?

Walk across a cool bridge, then down hill to the river. Cool swimming ponds.

I wish the boardwalk down to Rush Creek was usable. The newts were fun to watch there. This is still an easy, fun trail for the whole range of ages as it is wide and level with the added interest of the flumes. Wildflowers abound.

Loved this, very easy trail and super pretty. The bridges and the falls are soooo perfect. I would go back, for sure!!!

Beautiful! Easy access.

We love this trail it is such a friendly and nature loaded environment. I hope they decide to rebuild the bridge down to the river in the future. That would be an amazing experience in the summer for my kiddos and dog

Highly recommended for fun and family day. It’s totally shady trail and easy

Nice, easy and well maintained trail...until you get to the end part which looks overgrown but it’s still nice all the same.

I was not disappointed with this trail! Lush green ferns, wooden bridges, beautiful waterfalls and well maintained trails. There is plenty of shade to keep you cool. This is now one of my favorite places to hike!

This is such a nice trail and such an easy path to follow. The best feature is the bridge. A little disappointed in the end of the trail until my son found a beautiful spot to sit and look over the valley and river below. I’ll be back to this one.

Loved this Trail.