Independence Trail West is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Nevada City, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 429 feet Route Type: Out & Back

As of May 24, 2020, users have reported that the bridge is closed off with broken boards. This trail is wheelchair friendly when properly maintained, but sometimes rocks or down trees make the path more difficult to navigate in a wheelchair.

Swimming hole

not what I expected. does not look like the pictures. once you passed the long bridge, it's overgrown for miles. then the trail ends on the road, which we took and it lead us to the river.

Overall it was a good hike. The negatives for us was that there were a lot of mosquitoes! We got bit like crazy! The bathrooms are dirty! Wish the trail was maintained, a lot of fallen branches and overgrown grass. And the main attraction the bridge is closed off with broken boards!

beautiful hike. So much poison oak so be careful.

Pretty easy beautiful trail Lots of poison oak!!!!!! Be mindful of it and you’ll be fine

POISON OAK!! It was ok at first but the further you get the more there is, to the point where it was coming from above you and both sides. Also, there are ticks here, my little dog had one on her which I found the next day.

Beautiful easy trails for kids, adults and dogs. It’s pretty much flat the entire way. PArk on the side of the road and you will see a sign or a set of stairs. Couple beautiful bridges on the way, take a dip in the water. The trail is 5.4 miles round trip. Go early, gets hot and almost all shaded.

great shade and beautiful bridges.. really more a stroll than a hike

Easy trail. Good for all ages.

Very fun and easy hike!! Great for all ages. Not too much incline.

Nice hike for kids. Just need a little maintenance on trees and branches along the trail..

closed

I took this hike yesterday afternoon and I was somewhat disappointed. The main entrance was closed so we had to go under a sketchy tunnel to start the hike. I was under the impression that there was access to the wooden walking path, but you can only admire it from far. A local hiker informed us that it’s been closed for 15+ years and that the pictures on the app were deceiving. :( The regular hiking path was clear and nice. A little muddy, but that’s expected this time of year. The bridge was pretty too. We originally took the “Jones Bar” trail on accident not knowing where to go. This is steep, rugged, and hard. Avoid that. Keep going straight down the flat trail if you’re looking for the easier path with the scenery. Also, there’s bathrooms available.

Easy, flat trail. Great for all. Check your kids, dogs, and yourself for ticks. Pulled one off my son’s neck. If you use the directions to the trailhead from this app, gps might send you the wrong way. Use the directions from the trail’s website, https://www.bylt.org/trail/independence-trail-west/

I went with my lover, I'm happy:D

closed

trail closed, no dates shown for reopen. didn't state why the trail was closed. ranger walked right by, didn't say a word about it as I passed him.

Great spot for an autumn hike. The fall color was gorgeous and it was a really chill atmosphere.

nice. mosquitos not a problem. was pretty but not as nice as the pics. sections of the trail needs maintenance.

Nice easy hike. Between 1.75 and 2.0 miles there were 4 trees down, though. 3 were just trunks across the path and easy to get over, the fourth, at 2 miles, was a fresh canopy fall. Had to clamber through/around limbs to continue. UPDATE: The eastern leg is much more scenic, so I’m taking one star away.

I would have enjoyed this trail more if it was marked better. I didn’t see any signs after the trail head. Also, bring bug spray! I went at 9am and the bugs swarmed to me and my dog.

A tree has fallen with the crown of the tree on the trail. Its about 800 feet before the road down to the river. There's no way around, but it does look like some folks have been climbing through. We chose to turn around and go back. Otherwise, this may be our new goto hike. Heading back in a few weeks to try and catch the maples in color.

Completed this hike on Labor Day weekend. Really easy with not to many views. Would probably be a better hike in the spring.

It was easy and flat, very pretty. The waterfall wasn’t running much but it was really beautiful. We took the Jones Bar trail down to the river which was worth the super steep hike back back up to the main trail. I would do this again!