Independence Trail East

Independence Trail East is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nevada City, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Nice hike. Easy. Dog and kid friendly. Covered in poison oak and mosquitoes so bring bug repellent and wear pants. Beautiful and the swimming hole is amazing. Easy hike until the last bit then it’s steep with boulder climbing. We were able to do it with the dog and a 5 yr old in tow. Nude beach, but still nice people are respectful. There is also a cool cave at the bottom that you can crawl through. ( you will get wet) once you get to the crossroads about 2.5 miles in make a left then a right. You will here the water. If you go straight at the crossroads you can probably make your way down, but it was too steep for us to try with a dog in tow.

This has easily became one of my favorite hikes near me! Th hike is very much covered and surrounded my trees so minimal sun beams through. I definitely recommend to wear bug repellent, I literally got eaten alive.. The swimming hole is so beautiful, although I do inform you there will be a lot of nude people so expect that when you go down. There's plenty of rocks for people to relax and picnic even too. I should have taken a photo to show you when to make that left turn to get down to the water but you won't miss it if others are going too. When you see two dry dirt roads that split, that's when you'll make a left and go down from there. Other than that, this is my number one place! Def give it a shot.

Great easy hike. Found a few newts along the way. The end has a beautiful view of the river.

Nice easy trail. I liked the other end of this trail better though. Also, watch out for wasps; my daughter and I both got stung about a third of the way through the hike and it burned the whole time and even after.

love this trail. beautiful, quiet and FUN!!

I needed a flat trail and this served the purpose for sure! The scenery en route was pretty boring, but the swimming hole you get to at the end is incredible! Heads up, clothing optional swimming, if that's your thing or it isn't.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Definitely better views than the West trail. Had to scare a rattlesnake off the trail. Very flat, easy walk.

Monday, July 03, 2017

lots of beautiful views of the yuba river an easy trail to walk, but the west side is much better

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

This was a lovely hike, flat except for the beginning which involves stairs. We didn't go all the way to the end, but I would next time. We took our dogs, it's allowed here, which was really nice for all of us.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Trail was open today. Very pretty. Some wet areas but not bad. If you don't like heights this trail Might not be for you.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Boring and stupid. Go to west trail not east.

Friday, March 10, 2017

East is still closed even barricaded off by State Parks. Someone please comment when it's back open.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Nice easy fun trail

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Scenic, very easy but buggy at the end of summer.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Scenic, very easy but buggy at the end of Summer, so we turned around before reaching the end.

Sunday, May 28, 2017