Learn more

Independence Trail East is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nevada City, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 249 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

partially paved

As of February 2020, the trail is closed due to the bridge needing repairs. Please contact the park before attempting. For the first mile of this trail, there is a parallel paved portion that is wheelchair accessible.

flooded

I think that in the spring or summer this trail would be amazing. It's still very cool there are some interesting bridges, creeks and waterfalls. this week the trail was a bit muddy from the rain but it was still pretty and worth hiking for sure. I was able to hike out about one and a half miles before the trail was flooded and I had to turn around.

Great trail, fun and easy!

bridge out
flooded

This was a great hike. We went when it was raining. Had a ton of fun. Was kind of bummed that part of the trail was closed due to needing repairs. Other than that it was a ton of fun. We ended up doing the other trail as well. Over all had a great day. Highly recommend this for beginners.

closed

The trail was closed due to the bridge needing repairs. I hiked it anyways, it was nice to be secluded for a little bit. If you go to the end of the trail and take the road down towards the South Yuba River you will be on the opposite side of the river from the Hoyt Trail.

This was a great trail. I’m from Santa Cruz CA and I really enjoyed this trail. Specially with the rains we had lots of water. Nice bridges all around.

Nice easy trail. The trail is blocked/ closed for repair of some of the walkways. I can see that all the wonderful things said about the trail would be true. Some pesky gnats and a few flies on the part we were able to hike.

A bit buggy, but a much more scenic route than the western leg of the trail.

5 stars because this trail handicap accessible and I think that’s awesome!

Sun Dec 30 2018

Great easy hike with some really nice views.

Mon Jun 11 2018

Nice hike. Easy. Dog and kid friendly. Covered in poison oak and mosquitoes so bring bug repellent and wear pants. Beautiful and the swimming hole is amazing. Easy hike until the last bit then it’s steep with boulder climbing. We were able to do it with the dog and a 5 yr old in tow. Nude beach, but still nice people are respectful. There is also a cool cave at the bottom that you can crawl through. ( you will get wet) once you get to the crossroads about 2.5 miles in make a left then a right. You will here the water. If you go straight at the crossroads you can probably make your way down, but it was too steep for us to try with a dog in tow.

Thu May 31 2018

This has easily became one of my favorite hikes near me! Th hike is very much covered and surrounded my trees so minimal sun beams through. I definitely recommend to wear bug repellent, I literally got eaten alive.. The swimming hole is so beautiful, although I do inform you there will be a lot of nude people so expect that when you go down. There's plenty of rocks for people to relax and picnic even too. I should have taken a photo to show you when to make that left turn to get down to the water but you won't miss it if others are going too. When you see two dry dirt roads that split, that's when you'll make a left and go down from there. Other than that, this is my number one place! Def give it a shot.

Sat May 12 2018

Great easy hike. Found a few newts along the way. The end has a beautiful view of the river.

Sat Feb 17 2018

Nice easy trail. I liked the other end of this trail better though. Also, watch out for wasps; my daughter and I both got stung about a third of the way through the hike and it burned the whole time and even after.

Sun Jan 28 2018

love this trail. beautiful, quiet and FUN!!

Sat Aug 26 2017

I needed a flat trail and this served the purpose for sure! The scenery en route was pretty boring, but the swimming hole you get to at the end is incredible! Heads up, clothing optional swimming, if that's your thing or it isn't.

Mon Aug 14 2017

Definitely better views than the West trail. Had to scare a rattlesnake off the trail. Very flat, easy walk.

Mon Jul 03 2017

lots of beautiful views of the yuba river an easy trail to walk, but the west side is much better

Tue May 30 2017

This was a lovely hike, flat except for the beginning which involves stairs. We didn't go all the way to the end, but I would next time. We took our dogs, it's allowed here, which was really nice for all of us.

Sun May 07 2017

Trail was open today. Very pretty. Some wet areas but not bad. If you don't like heights this trail Might not be for you.

Sat Apr 01 2017

Boring and stupid. Go to west trail not east.

Fri Mar 10 2017

East is still closed even barricaded off by State Parks. Someone please comment when it's back open.

Thu Oct 13 2016

Nice easy fun trail

Wed Aug 31 2016

Scenic, very easy but buggy at the end of summer.