Illilouette Falls Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(160)
Yosemite National Park

Illilouette Falls Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,453 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. Trail leads to a bridge and cascades on Illilouette Creek just above the falls, with a series of granite benches extending out into the creek that make choice spots to stop for a snack and hang out. Along the trail are views of Vernal and Nevada Falls, North Dome, the Royal Arches, and the back of Half Dome - the trail can be extended another half mile to Panorama Point via a sandy spur off to the left of the trail. Trail is downhill via a series of long switchbacks, but remember you have to hike back up so plan for twice as long a trip back up. If this hike isn't challenging enough for you, continue along this trail to the top of the Mist Trail and all the way to Yosemite Valley, an 8.5 mile trip one way.

Awesome trail running. I ran this on the way up and certainly will be back to run it to the valley next season. Bring a water filter, a lunch and you could spend all day in the wilderness.

Nice trail with great views. I typically prefer the trails that make you work to get in with the nice decent back. But this one was still nice. I don’t recommend this trail if you live around the park and are just looking for a nice day hike. Because like most trails in Yosemite they can be a pain to get to and most of the higher Sierra tails are just as nice with less crowds. But if your already in the park and on the ridge it’s worth it.

Shade to no-shade hike alternatively. Reaching the bottom is worth the hike. Took a dip in the water to refresh.

the view are great! the hike goes down and if your not conditioned this will be tough to go up. make sure u bring lots of water . there is period of time were there is no shade . My son (15 yrs old ) join us on this hike and he got dehydrated on this hike for the lack of hydrating the day before. Even though we had our son get I'll unexpectedly, we do plan to do this hike again. so I definitely would say this hike is not moderate for uncondition individuals.

This is a great trail, I went Aug 1, 2019 with my wife, we used it to train for a difficult hike we have coming up in August. I like that it starts off going downhill, when you get to Illouette Creek, stay left at the bridge and go all the way to the falls, a little exposed right at the end of the trail, but so beautiful and well worth the journey. Go early to avoid the crowds.

I was here 7/28/19 beauty view, ( picture, pictures and picturesssss) a lot cooler than I thought ( love it) It was easy to get down to the falls but backing up oh boy little touch for my legs. A lot of short cut to get down and up but don’t try, it’s not worth it, Bring a lot of water, Enjoy yourself down there a little longer, you will see how much nature gives us.

We loved this trail. It was well groomed and not too Rocky! The incline on the way back was a good consistent lace with nice switchbacks. The views were amazing and the option to add distance was a plus!

It's a great trail. There is a small offshoot from the trail with a gorgeous view of the illilouette Falls but be sure to hold on as it is full of gravel and high winds so prone to falling down.

Great hike. We thought it would be an easy 4 miles in our first day in the park. We drove in and hit the trail. We underestimated the altitude and it kicked out butts! But still worth every step! Bring water and take your time. The flowers are amazing!

Hiking with Chris

We don’t do a ton of hiking and found the hike very doable though we could feel the altitude and the uphill portion was more of a challenge. The views were incredible!

Plenty of water at Glacier point and along the trail. I found 2L bottles sufficient. We added Sentinel Dome and took a nap at the top of the falls. Mist trail between the valley floor and vernal falls is a soaker for sure. You can take the JMT trail to avoid it but what’s the fun in that?

amazing views, exposed trail, save your water for the way up.

Mon May 13 2019

Gorgeous trails with beautiful views. No snow on trail. Much warmer on trail than the other side. Some water but easy to cross. Poles are helpful. Waterfall is gushing!!

Wed Jan 23 2019

Best time to hike Illiloutte Falls is in the spring when the falls is in full volume!

Sun Nov 11 2018

We went to see the sunrise at glacier point yesterday, and then decided that we would try a hike near by. We caught this trailhead from the Glacier point parking lot. This is a great hike with fantastic views of Half Dome. I especially liked the way the view of Half Dome Changes along the way. You get a great view of. The Falls before dropping down to the river at the bridge. I imagine that in the springtime, there is much more water. I look forward to hiking it again when the water is flowing.

Sun Oct 28 2018

Such a fun hike! However, you must always remember in the hiking world, whatever goes down....must come back up! Definitely give yourself double time to crawl out of the trail. My husband and I began this hike around 2:00 pm. We made it down the trail in an hour. Sat at the creek and ate a snack and had some hiker coffee. (Starbucks packet of instant Carmel late....yum) We figured it would take us about 2.5 hours to get back to the car, and we surprised ourselves by doing it in only 2 hours (exactly). We ended the hike with a beautiful view of the sun setting over the mountain behind us giving the Panoramic view a nice pink haze covering. Simply beautiful!

Fri Sep 21 2018

Tue Jun 19 2018

Must go trail for waterfall

Thu Jun 07 2018

This trail is very very well marked. I did it coming back up during sunset, which gave a great view of halfdome and the vernal waterfall. It was also much less crowded than once I reached halfdome.

Sat Oct 14 2017

I wanted a quick day hike and this trail served that purpose well. The trail is steep and in hot weather I would suggest getting an early start because the trail is pretty exposed in some parts. The falls had little water but it was still a nice spot to have lunch. The views of Half Dome, Clouds Rest, Vernal and Nevada Falls are breathtaking to see all together. Definitely a good option if you're trying to avoid the crowded valley floor.

Tue Oct 10 2017

Great views but the incline one the way back up was tough. There isn't much shade either.

Sun Aug 13 2017

Decline to the falls and a horrific incline all the way back. It says 5miles totaled but I believe that's just to where you're able to see the falls...if you walk further down and actually sit by the falls, it's a little over 6miles. I rated it four stars because the trail is very exposed. Only shaded areas are bushes and/or shrugs. There are plenty of spring water along the trail for filtering or cooling down. Take advantage of a quick dip in the falls before heading back up, you won't regret it. Arrive early, we got there at 8am and the parking lot was very busy already. Avoid doing the hike back up during the afternoon.

Sun Jul 30 2017

Easy to follow trail with visible signage at forks. The down mountain out and ascend on return was quite challenging.

Sat Jul 29 2017

One of my favorites due to it being a quick backpacking trip, beautiful campsites near Illiouette Falls, and a spectacular view to and from Glacier point

Sat Jul 22 2017

Had the misfortune of visiting Yosemite during the fires so a ton of smoke. But a really great hike. As everyone says the hike is straight down, so the return trip is a workout. No one was on the trail with me however I was there pretty early. You actually get a great view of the Fall just past 2 miles and across the Valley. When you actually get the falls there is a bridge however you dont get a great view of the actual falls but still go to the bridge - the speed of the water is amazing. I tried to find a view of the falls by walking on a path that runs next to the water however I wouldnt recommend - very little payoff in views - besides, same your strength for the walk up. Did see 3 coyotes on the trail up but the minute they saw me they took off

Wed Jul 19 2017

Great views of Half Dome, Vernal and Nevada Falls. Trail is almost entirely downhill on the way out from Glacier Point so leave early to avoid a prolonged uphill hike in the afternoon. Great spots to rest and eat by the river, leave early in the morning and you'll likely have the entire trail to yourself.

Wed Jul 05 2017

Breathtaking views of Vernal and Nevada Falls, amongst other Yosemite landmarks. Lightly trafficked trail, even on a very busy July 4th weekend. Kid-friendly, but a bit challenging on the way up for the casual hiker.

Thu Jun 15 2017

Great trail from Glacier Point. You start at the decline and hit the incline on your way back so be prepared for that. Really great views from the trail of verbal and Nevada falls! This was my first time on the trail and I really enjoyed it!