Idlehour Trail

Idlehour Trail is a 18.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Altadena, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I did this as a loop, starting from Eaton Canyon, going through Henninger Flats, up the Mt. Wilson Trail to where the Idlehour trail splits, following the entire Idlehour trail until it connects with the Middle Sam Merril trail, taking that to Echo Mountain, taking the Incline trail back to the Rubio Canyon trailhead, then taking the Altadena Crest trail back to Eaton Canyon. It was about 25 miles and 10 hours, but an amazing experience. I did not see another person until I got back to Eaton Canyon. Upper Eaton Canyon is beautiful, and the water was still running by Idlehour camp. The place is so full of deer it's actually noisy. Watch for ticks up there. The views of Mt Wilson, Mt. Markham, and Mt. Lowe are great.

Steep! but so fun. The trail is a bit narrow, but pretty easy to follow. Backpacking in was hot and exhausting in the middle of summer, but by the time we began to descend into the canyon, it was cooling off rapidly. The small stream was still flowing in August. Watch out for poison oak and barberry!

I love challenges every hike is fun.

this trail is awesome, and have amazing view of Mt. Wilson and a awesome camp ground. everything about it is awesome. I recommend it to every level hiker, just give a try. make sure you have a great camera. I am sure I will do it again!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

This trail is stunning! The first few miles are a climb in direct sunlight along a rocky mountainside trail. Eventually you get into the gorgeous forest and start a mild decline. The floor of the forest was covered in fallen leaves and has amazing rock formations and lots of shade. Then you get back out onto the mountainside and start another climb. The views of the mountains are simply breathtaking. You get a good workout both directions as each way has a pretty decent incline. I will definitely do this one again. It's fairly rugged in spots and I wouldn't recommend it for beginners or people who aren't comfortable on narrow trails with a steep drop.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Friday, May 13, 2016

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Monday, January 11, 2016

Friday, December 18, 2015

I did this trail with my adventure pup and we had a great time. Lot's of wildlife since it's not a well traveled trail. I saw a small group of guys coming out from the camp. Trail was in good condition, water was in the creek at the campground when i was there in July, it even drizzled while i was on the fire road!

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Oct 2015, Lots of shade. Leaves starting to turn/drop. Didn't meet anyone on trail. Lots of gnats/small flies at bottom. Bring bug spray.