Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail

Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail is a 11.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.6 miles Elevation Gain: 4,314 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Cucamonga Peak offers amazing views over Southern California's Inland Empire, east toward Apple Valley and beyond. This hike from Icehouse Canyon is a strenuous out-and-back route with over 4,000 feet of vertical gain and a top elevation of 8,859'. The north-facing slope holds snow much later in the season than other peaks. From atop Cucamonga Peak you can see most of the better-known peaks in Southern California, including the distinctive saddleback mountains (Santiago and Modjeska peaks) in Orange County; Mt. San Jacinto, San Gorgonio, and Mt. San Antonio (Mt. Baldy). This is the second of six southern California summits in the 6-Pack of Peaks bundle. Done in sequence, they provide great training anyone preparing for bigger hikes such as Mt. Whitney or Half Dome. Each hike in the 6-Pack is progressively higher in altitude, and all have respectable distance and vertical elevation gain.

Great trail! Definitely more like 13.5 miles. I got there at 7 and had to park a quarter mile down the road. Very nice on the way up, quite hot coming down.

Such a great hike. I arrived on a Sunday at 7am and the parking lot was full but I got one of the spaces off the road. A fair amount of people going up... and lots packing out from overnights. Trail is maintained really well. No poison oak! A great mix of steady climb then rigor. I went to Etiwanda Peak too. It’s 1.2 mi past Cucamonga Peak. Stopped at an icey swimming hole to combat the heat on my way back in the Canyon. So lovely!!

Started at 520 on a Saturday and the parking lot was already half full. Lots of water in the first mile. Lots of bugs this year. Summited around 810 and was the first day hiker up there. Awesome views made even better by the lack of people around me. Encountered a million people on the way down. Crowed trail, but still awesome. Definitely going back!

Watch out for the bugs! Please bring bug spray, and be weary of snakes. They hide in the bushes alongside the trail. Towards the top it’s really easy to miss the summit and keep going, pay attention. It’s more of a 13 mile round trip.

Started hiking from the icehouse trailhead at 8:30, finished hike at 4:15. This includes a couple of hours at the Cucamonga Peak. Great well marked hike, except at one point near the end where the trail is a bit tough to find, and I saw several people branched off to another trail (including me) see me recording and notice branching off. Amazing views from the top and along the hike. No water fountains along the trail, even at the trailhead (correct me if I am wrong). There is a stream runs along the hike and water from the stream looked very clean and probably drinkable. No restrooms at the peak, only at the trailhead.

Hiked on 7/8/19. Left trailhead at 8:15 and reached the summit close to 11:30. The trail is beautiful. The first two miles wanders along a river that is still flowing before climbing another mile up to the saddle. You then traverse around a canyon and drop a bit in altitude until you reach the final 11 switchbacks. The hike through the final switchbacks was the only part that should be rated difficult. Reached the summit and only had to share the classic photo spot with three other people - perks of hiking on a Monday. Enjoyed a lunch and the decided to trail run over to Etiwanda Peak. At 12:15. This added another 1.2 miles to the total distance. Wanting to avoid afternoon traffic, ran/speed hiked to the bottom. Finished at 3:15. A fantastic day in the great outdoors. No snow, some bugs, lots of water in the first two miles.

This hike is worth the views!! You will climb and climb. It is really hard, especially on your feet. There are just a lot of rocks throughout. I have good cushioned shoes with insoles and still my feet feel like they've been through a meat grinder lol. My feet did not feel this bad after Mt. Baldy! Make sure you keep applying sunscreen throughout the day. The UV index is brutal. This hike is definitely strenuous. I hike 3-4 times a week, and have been up to the Saddle and Timber Mountain already, and this hike still whooped me so hard. I drank my full 3 liters of water that I brought with me, plus another liter and a half that I filtered from the creek, and it wasn't even that hot out. It was just a long day. Could barely walk when I got home, stumbled out of the car into my house like a madman. I earned my pizza for dinner though! Took me about 4 hours to get up, and about 3 hours getting down, I got pretty worn out towards the end. Total 9 hours including leisurely breaks and stops to filter extra water for drinking after I ran out. Bring a sandwich and some high calorie protein bars with you for this one, you're going to need it! Also, be careful, most hikers don't know anymore that you're supposed to yield to UPHILL hikers because it's so hard to lose your momentum going up! Please people, yield to UPHILL! Find a good spot to stop if you see someone coming up and let them pass by! Don't create a dangerous situation on some narrow and eroded parts of this trail!!

Gorgeous views! The trail was not well marked after the saddle so we missed our turn and reached Etiwanda and then doubling back to reach Cucamonga. All together it was just under 16 miles and 7 hours. We started around 6:20am and found plenty of parking in the lot.

The trail is in great condition. There are some parts that are narrow though.. if you have a fear of heights like I do.. just focus on the trail and keep moving!! Bring bug spray.. the flies bite... I would also suggest getting there early. I had to park half mile from the trailhead and I got there at 7:30

Not for the faint of hearts but definitely worth it. Hiking poles help so so so much! Sturdy hiking boots too because it is ROCKY in certain areas. Friend fell and split her knee open, thank the universe for first aid. We all took 3 liters of water and were good all day, would recommend getting a filter if you’re taking less water, the water is near. Be mindful of start time though because second half up to the peak is not shaded and it can get hot. Have fun! :]

Good trail. Our various GPS devices showed a round trip total of between 12 and 12.6 miles, which took about 6.5 hours at a slow-ish pace and a break at the summit. Weather was perfect at the summit, 75 degrees and almost no wind. There are some bugs along the way, which aren't bad as long as you're moving, but recommend bug spray and / or head net if you're planning to hang out near the stream.

This hike is very difficult and you should be prepared. Highly recommend wearing good hiking shoes that support you in extremely rocky areas. The first 3.5 miles to the saddle rocky with a steady elevation gain. After that the path becomes very narrow with one drop off ledge to the left side. Once you pass this part it's a number of very steep switchbacks that are extremely rocky as you ascend to the top. The view is amazing, definitely rest up here and take in the views; however, be careful of rattle snakes. There are bugs, but not as bad as I was expecting, bring bug spray and you should be good. Be careful on your hike back down, especially in the rocky and narrow parts because the gravel underneath will slide and you don't wanna fall off on the side of the mountain. My trail rating: 5 Stars - I'll do it again! 4 Stars - I'll do it again after some other hikes. 3 Stars - I'll do it again cause I like you 2 Stars - I'll begrudgingly do it again 1 Stars - I'm never doing that again.

**Newish hiker training for Mt Whitney in the fall. I did this hike with a 30lb pack for training.** The first two miles were along a pretty creek and mostly shaded. It’s a good climb up ... and up ... and up. The saddle is a great place to take a break before heading to the peak. Take advantage of the open area and views. There is a decent descent just after the saddle that feels like a lovely break until you remember it’s going to be a climb in the middle of your downhill. When you start to climb up again you pretty much climb and climb forever until you are pretty sure you are going to die then, viola, there is the peak. There were plenty of shady flatish places to take a break, drink a beer and eat some lunch. Grab some pictures with signs at the peak. Head back the way you came. The last bit in the shade by the creek when you are leaving is a blessing. Bring lots of water. We each finished 3.5L of water. Take your trekking poles. There are some sections with loose gravel. It was nice to have some extra stability. I would say it was harder than Mt Pinos, Strawberry Peak and Baden-Powell, but easier than Baldy. Took us 10.5 hours total to hike to the saddle, take a 20 min break, summit, have lunch and hang out for an hour and a half, then head back down with another 10 min break by the creek thrown in there. We were probably the slowest to peak today, but we were way faster than everyone that stayed at home.

Not a tough hike. It’s exactly 12.4 miles long if you follow the exact trail. Would recommend taking a nice break at the 2.4 miles mark from Icehouse Saddle before heading to Cucamonga Peak (head straight to see sign). The trail splits again close to the end where the big wooden sign is on the ground so keep straight instead of going left. Views are worth it. Bring parking permit. Enjoy.

Beautiful view!! Make sure to pack lots of water! I brought a little over 3LI and finished everything. It was definitely a tough hike if you are not an avid hiker. Trekking poles! The hike said 11.6 miles but when I checked my health app after I was done, it turned out to be 16.8 miles. Not sure if we took some different turns but be prepared to do more miles than expected. Lol happy trailing!

Hiked this bad boy on Sunday 6/30. Started at 4:30 pm, reached top at 7:30 and stayed to watch sunset. Solo jogged down at night and was back down at 10:15 pm. Do not recommend solo hiking at night. Was pitch black especially under the trees and a little creepy at times. Only saw one group of three on the way back down.

Beautiful hike once you're past the saddle. Pretty narrow path along most of the ascent. Great photo op at the summit with amazing views and lots of shady spots to spread out and re coup. Descent from saddle to trailhead is very rocky, so will be wearing high top boots for ankle support next time

Honestly, not enjoyable for me. The peak has gotten so crowded it's like waiting in line for a Disney ride. We had to wait in line while a group of 20+ people took over the rock ledge with the sign for their "photo shoot". Then, as we were descending, some idiot thought it would be great to take a short cut off trail down a ledge with very loose gravel and rock which in turn caused a small avalanche almost on top of us. Hiking etiquette is dead people. No one has any self awareness of their surrounding. The views are phenomenal, but this is a one and done for me. My 4th of 6 peaks. I can't wait until I'm done with these crowded peaks and get back to hiking in more solitude. Tips: (1) towards the end of the hike you can lose the trail a bit so keep an eye out for the main trail; (2) pack plenty of water & snacks - it's a long day; (3) a lot of annoying bugs so pack bug spray; (4) sunscreen & a hat are a necessity; (5) don't forget your adventure pass; (6) arrive early, parking is a nightmare.

Great hike. Tough. Took 3 3/4 hours up at a good clip, and 3 down. Clocked it at 14+ miles. Uphill was consistent, with a nice pause at Icehouse Saddle; the descent was brutal on my knees. Trail was clear and in good shape, mostly dirt in some places, mostly rock in other places, but no scrambling required. Views were awesome, but if you want solitude do NOT go on a Sunday. It was definitely "heavily tracked," and the experience of the peak was seriously diminished by a group playing Mariachi music on a boom box. Whatever happened to listening to the wind the the birds?! Parking lot was totally full at 7 am and most of the street parking too, so get there early or go on a weekday. No flies early in the morning but more after noon as the air warmed up. Overall, a great experience!

Great hike. Took me 4 hours to the top (I’m old and slow)Tough down at the lower elevations through river rocks had a little trouble tracking the trail for a minute but overall great hike. Trail is well marked and maintained. Stunning views after the saddle and at the summit. Great way to spend day.

Did this about 2 weeks ago. Beautiful start and end with lots of flowing water. Trail is Rocky so have the proper shoes. After the saddle the trail gets narrow which made me uncomfortable. The climb to the peak was fine. Just take it slow and you may need Gps as there is no marked trail. It was definitely challenging

Tough trail on the knees for me.