Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail

Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Cucamonga Peak offers amazing views over Southern California's Inland Empire, east toward Apple Valley and beyond. This hike from Icehouse Canyon is a strenuous out-and-back route with over 4,000 feet of vertical gain and a top elevation of 8,859'. The north-facing slope holds snow much later in the season than other peaks. From atop Cucamonga Peak you can see most of the better-known peaks in Southern California, including the distinctive saddleback mountains (Santiago and Modjeska peaks) in Orange County; Mt. San Jacinto, San Gorgonio, and Mt. San Antonio (Mt. Baldy). This is the second of six southern California summits in the 6-Pack of Peaks bundle. Done in sequence, they provide great training anyone preparing for bigger hikes such as Mt. Whitney or Half Dome. Each hike in the 6-Pack is progressively higher in altitude, and all have respectable distance and vertical elevation gain.

We started the hike at 05:30am and the trail got busy later in the day. It was a Great day to be outside. If Crowds aren’t your thing, I’m sure a weekday would be better.

LOST a light blue Patagonia nano puff pullover today, Sunday, 4/15/18 just before noon somewhere between the Icehouse saddle and Cucamonga peak. It fell from a pocket in my pack. I assume someone picked it up, as it was nowhere to be found on the way back down the mountain. If found, please text or call (818)522-2140.

very nice views on the top.

Great hike. We had the summit to ourselves but only for a short time. The views from the summit are breathtaking so give yourself ample time to enjoy it. If you take your dog make sure he/she has dog boots as the rocks can injure their pads.

Great and challenging hike! The weather was perfect when I hiked yesterday. A little windy in some spots, but not bad. The summit was completely empty on a Wednesday too which was a nice surprise! No snow at all. Just make sure to layer because the wind does get chilly.

Trail is beautiful but can be rough on the feet. The majority of the path is made up of loose rocks or small boulders so be careful of where you step. There are snow patches on the side of the trail after Icehouse Saddle (halfway point) with steeper ascents. Finally, about 0.2-0.3 miles before the summit, the trail curves to the left, but the actual trail to the summit is around some fallen trees directly ahead. Don't follow the obvious curve to the left as that is a different trail and instead cut around the fallen trees and you'll find a dirt path leading you to the summit.

Hiked to the peak for the second time Sunday, April 8th. Beautiful day. The trail was clear of snow and ice all the way up. Check trail conditions if we get more rain before summer.

Just did this as an overnight backpack summit campout on Sat 3/31. Such a great hike with an awesome peak to sleep on! There is some snow and ice on the trail, but not enough to require crampons. I’d even say microspikes would be overkill for that day and unless more snow arrives it will only improve. Some grippy shoes and trekking poles are all I had and I was fine. Just take it slow at those spots.

Columbine Spring was flowing nicely for some quick fill water refills before heading up the dry stretch. We probably could have just melted snow up top, but grabbed spring water because we didn’t know for sure how much snow would be up there...and because spring water.

Fairly crowded trail but had the peak almost entirely to ourselves for the overnight.

loves it its Hard but worth it

Went today in a group of 11. It was the second time I’ve done this trail. The cooler weather was enjoyable after hiking up the first time last July. My body tends to run hot, so I hike without a jacket while everyone else usually does. Had to put it back on at Ice House Saddle because high winds made it quite chilly there throughout the day. We all had to put on our micro spikes or equivalent for the ascent up to the peak. It wasn’t the clearest of days, but the views were great nonetheless. We all used our spikes again for the way down back to the Saddle, but most of the ice and snow had melted into slush after noon when we had headed back. It’s killer on the knees from Ice House Saddle back to the trailhead, but it’s totally worth it. Most of the same group did Mount Wilson back in January and we plan on hitting the entire 6-Pack before Whitney in September.

This is a great, challenging hike with views that rival other higher peaks. This trail and others that connect to icehouse canyon get very crowded on weekends. I suggest weekdays if you are more sensitive to many hikers on the trail.

The first couple miles of the trail follow the creek bed which means large rocks and uneven trail so be mindful of where you’re stepping. Also, there is a bit of ice on the trail up to the peak. I made it without spikes but it was a little sketchy.

beautiful, but difficult

Amazing! Hard on the knees, but otherwise a piece of cake :)

Such a great hike with versatile terrain. There is ice and snow on the hike after Saddle Ranch but I did it in wool socks and hiking sandles and my feet never got cold. Do not stop for lunch at Saddle Ranch! It's freezing (not my feet). Walk a bit further. Great views and not nearly as cold. High winds after Saddle Ranch but a storm was a brewing. There is a cove under the main rock for cuddling ;)

Good workout. A lot of steep areas. Pretty view .

Amazing Hike. Ice house lives up to its name, so cold. The ice and snow is a bit tricky but totally worth it. I did the entire hike in shorts and hiking sandals. Mexican sherpa Lol!

Great day too have done this hike today. After Ice House crampons are definitely recommend since there is snow and the trails are more narrow. Unfortunately the Cucamonga Peak elevation sign was missing...but nonetheless still was a great hike and the weather as well.

Hi guys, wanted to get a water report. Were there still streams running up halfway point?

Decided to hike this trail in the winter this time around and couldn't be happier with my decision. I have done this trail once over in July and had a difficult time enjoying it cause bugs :( However, if you choose to do it in the winter, be prepared!! bring microspikes or the like because the trail does get narrow with exposed cliffs at certain points and the last thing you want is to slip on any potential ice. Use the Alltrails app to help guide you to the peak, it does get tricky to navigate the last .3 miles to the top especially in fresh snow. All in all, great hike with great scenery. The trail gradient doesn't get too steep so its nice on the knees. Save your knees people haha, check out my photos from the hike!

Made it to the end :) Beautiful views along the way. Some parts of the trail had ice, we just went through it very slowly but be prepared for that. Bring lots of water and snacks to keep up your energy.

So worth it, get there early as parking fills up quick. Enjoy the view!

Did not make it to the end. Trail had Ice, and slipped a couple of times. I will go back with spikes. But good workout and hike.

Always a great hike. Hiked it today and lots of ice and snow on parts of the trail above 7800' There had to have been 200 people on the trail with most stopping at the saddle. Never saw it that busy before. Without crampons I wouldn't recommend hiking to peak until it warms a little bit. Could be dangerous.

Just enough segments of icy snow, esp on the northern shaded side the last 1.5 miles, to make this tricky. Recommend poles at a minimum and use spikes if you have them on the descent. There’s a few places that if you slip off you’ll tumble a long ways. Otherwise beautiful trail as usual.

Nice but hard but I love it especially with the snow on floor

Awesome. Not too intense, very nice through Icehouse Canyon. Great views from the summit.

This was a good one. Very windy. Lost of snow as you approach the summit. The views were awesome. Spikes or crampons are a must. Saw many people turn around.

Hiked to the peak today. A lot of people on the trail. I wore microspikes and had no issues. There were a lot of people hiking without and the popular comment was "I wish I would have brought my microspikes. " Beautiful hike but very windy at the peak making it very cold. Definitely a layer day, warm in the sun and cold in the shaded areas.

Slightly over 12 miles logged to the summit from the parking lot. Loads of snow but good boots, trekking poles, and paying attention should get you to the summit in one piece ;)

Second time summiting via Icehouse Canyon and it was gorgeous as ever. A weeks worth of sun on recent snow made for an icy trail in the morning and slush by afternoon. Lent my microspikes to my sister, and I made it up and back just fine with my boots and poles. The NE side brought in a real cold wind, so be prepared with a shield! Great easy trail all around with a steady 4,000 elv. gain. The first mile has heavy foot traffic, but weeds out by the time you hit the saddle. Well marked, but the deep snow at the top had everyone cutting straight for the summit about the last quarter mile. My Garmin GPS has us at 12.14mi by the time we were back at our car in the TH parking lot. Remember your Annual Pass or get an Adventure Pass for your car, and please fill out the free day use permit at box at the start, the rangers check :)