Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail

Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail is a 10.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Cucamonga Peak offers amazing views over Southern California's Inland Empire, east toward Apple Valley and beyond. This hike from Icehouse Canyon is a strenuous 10.5 mile out-and-back route with over 4,000 feet of vertical gain and a top elevation of 8,859'. The north-facing slope holds snow much later in the season than other peaks. From atop Cucamonga Peak you can see most of the better-known peaks in Southern California, including the distinctive saddleback mountains (Santiago and Modjeska peaks) in Orange County; Mt. San Jacinto, San Gorgonio, and Mt. San Antonio (Mt. Baldy). This is the second of six southern California summits in the 6-Pack of Peaks bundle. Done in sequence, they provide great training anyone preparing for bigger hikes such as Mt. Whitney or Half Dome. Each hike in the 6-Pack is progressively higher in altitude, and all have respectable distance and vertical elevation gain.

I went solo and lived it!
it starts off next to a nice size stream with a few small waterfalls, very nice easy hike for the first 2 miles.
Then the hatch backs start and it gets more steep. A day hike to "the saddle" is more than enough to satisfy the hiking urge, and you could get up and back down in 4 hours maybe 5.
If you want to camp over night, plan on going up to the Cucamonga peak. Its a pretty long way up but it feels very removed and there is great views of the city way down below. Please keep it litter free and have a great hike! :-)

Words cannot describe the beautiful view.

The most amazing view at the top.

Beautiful trail from start to finish.

Prep included multiple hikes to the wilderness sign and a mid-day hot hot hot hike to the saddle and 26 frantic miles of spin class 3 nights a week at LA Fitness for the last 32 months....figured I was ready. Weighed myself at 4:00 AM at 211 lbs. (32 months prior was 265 lbs)

Started at 5:00 AM with headlights. Turned off the lights at the wilderness sign. Made it to the saddle without complaint. Got to Cucamonga Peak at 11:30. Was slow and got passed by maybe 15 hikers. Took pictures and rested for an hour.

I spent 50 years looking up at that stupid rock and have to say it was worth every second. absolutely spectacular views. Could see my house and my office. Wonderful accomplishment to share with my son.

Stopped a couple times on the way down to take off my boots and let my feet cool. Had only taken 3 sports bottle of .7 litres each instead of 3 litres so I was despirately low on water. chugged 2 litres at Columbine spring and felt sick from the sudden rehydration. Stumbled the rest of the way down and let my son drive after just a mile past the village. Oh, stopped at the village for a Poweraid.

Got home and puked hard. Had maybe 2 oz of bile then dry. Got on the scale and I was 200 lbs. OOPS. I had sweat for 12 hours. wife woke me after 3 hours and got a couple more sports bottles in me. Slept for the next 8 hours. Had 3 large meals and put on a couple pounds.

Totally worth it.

EDIT: I remember a guy flew past us about 40 minutes in with nothing but the light from his cellphone. has to have been Dean that wrote the review before mine. Dude was a freight train.

The Hike

Says 10.5 but more like 11-12 miles from TH to peak. The climb is steep and strenuous. Because of its popularity, the trail is well kept, but it does contain loose gravel and rocks so watch your step. Once you tackle the portion up the the saddle, you can take a nice break, gather yourself, have a snack and rehydrate. In fact, I recommend this because the last portion is still very difficult but is also more exposed (assuming you hike it in the early morning). The portion just after the saddle may have you thinking you are going in the wrong direction because you decline for a little while. Just keep going, eventually you'll make it up with switchbacks. Many nice views to take in along the way but of course the best is at the end.

What You'll Need

-At least 3 liters of water
-Sturdy hiking boots with aggressive tread. This will ensure your safety and sure footing. I also recommend high ankles for support
-Trekking poles. I didn't use them but would have welcomed the support for the descent.
-Sun Protection
-Snacks to replenish energy and electrolytes. You will be sweating a lot.
-First aid kit. I recommend mole skin in case of blisters.
-Layers. Windy and cool on peak but hot on the way up and down.
-Map. Always good to have but not totally necessary because trail is well kept and has signage throughout. Plus lots of fellow hikers to ask if you need guidance.

I hiked this solo, 8/26/2017, leaving from trail head at 5:30 AM and not getting back to trailhead until about 10:45. I hike relatively quickly and only spent ~10 minutes at saddle and ~25 minutes on peak to give you an idea of how long it might take. Some of my descent was spent running as well. A huge time consumer of the way down was yielding to hikers going up. It's much easier to continue moving down so I yielded almost every time when the trail was not wide enough. LOTS of people were on the trail. Go out and give this one a shot. It's an incredible hike with stunning views. ENJOY!