Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail

Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail is a 11.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.6 miles Elevation Gain: 4,314 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Cucamonga Peak offers amazing views over Southern California's Inland Empire, east toward Apple Valley and beyond. This hike from Icehouse Canyon is a strenuous out-and-back route with over 4,000 feet of vertical gain and a top elevation of 8,859'. The north-facing slope holds snow much later in the season than other peaks. From atop Cucamonga Peak you can see most of the better-known peaks in Southern California, including the distinctive saddleback mountains (Santiago and Modjeska peaks) in Orange County; Mt. San Jacinto, San Gorgonio, and Mt. San Antonio (Mt. Baldy). This is the second of six southern California summits in the 6-Pack of Peaks bundle. Done in sequence, they provide great training anyone preparing for bigger hikes such as Mt. Whitney or Half Dome. Each hike in the 6-Pack is progressively higher in altitude, and all have respectable distance and vertical elevation gain.

My knees are killing me.

9/20 - went up around 9:00am. There weren't too many folks in the parking lot. The hike to Cucamonga was fairly solitary only a couple of people going up and some coming down. There are some good views of the Inland Empire at the top. Overalls it's a fun moderate to hard him.

Did this today 9/16/19. Started at 0600 and only saw a few people on the trail all day. This hike was definitely one of my favorites, as it has amazing views.

My favorite hike in SoCal! Started at 5am. Bagged both Cucamonga and Etiwanda peaks, since Etiwanda was just about a mile detour. From the junction, I hit Etiwanda first then hiked the backside ridge to Cucamonga (this is not the same main trail that heads into Cucamonga directly from the junction). In fact, this one had no traffic at all and was much more scenic. Highly recommend!

I did this hike yesterday 9/8/19 it is absolutely beautiful!! I didn't have any bugs problem until coming back around 5pm. there is a lot of lose rocks so poles are necessary. bring enough water and food and enjoy the amaneci view at the top!!

this is a fairly difficult trail. It's September and the bugs are ridiculous. bring bug spray or a net.

Started off the night prior with heavy drinking at the lodge restaurant down road didn’t really plan on going on a hike but I decided I just go ahead and send it for this one, Started off around 0800 with around 6 quarts of water, ice house canyon was beautiful itself and starts off fairly easy for the first 3000 meters but after that prepare yourself for a very strenuous 7000 meters to the peak (definitely worth it though) got to the peak around 1100 stayed up there for about 30 min then made the trip down and knocked that bad boy out in an hour and a half but overall highly recommend this trail

Did this today, Labor Day. Parking lot was 3/4 full by 6.20am. A great hike, slightly ruined by 2 bros who were talking (aka shouting) so loudly I could actually hear every word they were saying 2 switchbacks away Seriously no self awareness. I gunned it the whole way. Took exactly 5 hours plus a 30 min rest at the summit. Conditions were perfect, overcast cloud cover for a lot of the way.

Nice hike! it's not an easy one, it took me a little under 7 hours to do for a total of 13 miles in my Garmin watch. There was a lot of bugs. The hike up to ice house saddle is mostly under shade along the water stream (first 4 miles). However, after the ice house saddle, the hike gets strenuous for the last 2-2.5 miles! The altitude winds you out faster and you will be drinking more water so make sure to eat and fuel up at the saddle, but be advised, there is a lot of bees at the saddle. The hike after the saddle has some steep climbs along with some lose dirt and Rocky areas, treck poles really come in handy. Overall it was a good challenge, I advise to arrive at the ice house parking lot at 0600-0700 the lot gets fulls fast. For water I took a 3 liter bladder and two 16oz water bottles. I had plenty of water left over. I also took some salt pills, water alone doesn't resupply you with the lost minerals. I also recommend rinsing off the dirt in your body on your way back down in the stream, otherwise you dirty up your car, I took some baby wipes. lol. Enjoy!

Not too difficult of a hike. Super great views up top. Will definitely be doing this hike more.

recorded Recording - Sep 01, 01:58 PM

Go early around 5.30 am. Fill the permit form at the entrance. Took around 6.5 hours of round trip. First 2 miles is switch backs. I had 4L of water, I was out of water midway while coming down. Take some electrolytes as well. At the top, there is a nice rock to stand and take photos. Lot of bugs near the stream and bees at the top. Last two miles could be hard if the Sun is directly hitting you. The trail loses some elevation and then again goes up(slightly upsetting while coming back)

Hiking to Ski Hut for sleep over

I did this one with a pack as training for a Sierra trip next wknd. It's over 12 miles round trip, and pretty strenuous. Last easy water is when you cross Icehouse Creek just after a mile and half in, and then there's just a little spring that runs under the trails around mile 2.25. I drank around 5 liters, so be sure to fuel up. The bottom half is shady but buggy. Once you get out of the creek bed part of the canyon, there is only intermittent shade, and some of the early parts of the climb are really hot and exposed. The saddle is breezy, and it's cooler after that. The peak has a great view and is a nice place to hang out for a bit.

Beautiful hike, started at 545am today, first one to the top however I didn’t realize the peak trail goes off to the right so I ended up doing a lot of extra hiking lol, 19.5 miles total but I made it !

5.5 liters

Great hike but not for the faint of heart. build up some stamina before you do this.The hike starts in a canyon with shade and several waterfall crossings. You pass alongside a river and then cross into a section with large blocks of white rocks (presumably why they call it icehouse canyon) You climb up out of the canyon and hit switchbacks on the way to Icehouse Saddle. It levels off for a bit at the saddle and then climbs up to the summit of Cucamonga peak. This trail has a good amount of shade all the way through and a beautiful view once you reach the top. There are some rocky sections at the top and bottom but much of this trail is runnable. So you if you like trail running, this might be a good option. We ran into a group of ultramarathon runners on the morning we went out.

I would love to recommend you try this hard trail coz it’s worth it, shady and there’s clear beautiful stream, trail so dry and steep and i did enjoyed the beautiful scenery it’s so quiet and beautiful not crowded it is my second time around at last i took picture elevation which is 8859 ft. it’s hot but slightly windy today.. I’m thinking to do back packing going to Ontario peak after visiting Cucamonga peak next time, high on fire so be very careful if you do backpacking. Not much people when i reach the peak at 11:30 am though and i reached ground 3:30 pm.

Did this on Sunday out of the blue. I wanted to come to this peak a while back but never got around to it. On Sunday it was nice and warm about a high of 94. I did get a late start which was 7:15 am (I like to start at 6:00am to beat the heat). the first half I was okay since there was shade and it there was a nice chill in the air. Took maybe about 3 breaks until i got to the mid point. Seems like its heavy traffic area since there are many trails up on top to take. I took a 5 min. break and decided to leave since there were mosquitos buzzing around. They can smell my blood from a mile away. The second half was a bit though for me and I had to stop about 10 times....by the time I was about 100 yards away from the top I was pooped out and my energy level was on low. Everyone kept saying its close its close and then i got a sudden burst of energy and made it to the top. Lots of people taking pictures and rightfully so. You earned it. Going down was a breeze and didnt stop once. Took me 7 hours total. I would do this hike again, but I must finish other trails first.

A little crowded, but it’s worth it.

did this as a shake down for my new gear. started with 2 liters, filled back up and more for 5 liters to the summit, dinner, breakfast and coffee. left the summit with 1.5 -2 liters. filler one more at the spring on the way down. 3-5 groups on the summit. I stayed just down from the peak in a hollow and was pretty wind free. hardly a rustle on the hammock tarp. not much traffic going up on Friday. TONS of people Saturday. mostly dayhikers. this is not an easy day hike or overnight. sunset was amazing. love all the variation. some shady canyon, some steep sunny exposed slopes, nice cruiser sections around a canyon. giant cedars, crazy giant but short pines, sweeping vistas this is the Angeles Forest at it's finest.