Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail

Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail is a 10.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Baldy, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Cucamonga Peak offers amazing views over Southern California's Inland Empire, east toward Apple Valley and beyond. This hike from Icehouse Canyon is a strenuous 10.5 mile out-and-back route with over 4,000 feet of vertical gain and a top elevation of 8,859'. The north-facing slope holds snow much later in the season than other peaks. From atop Cucamonga Peak you can see most of the better-known peaks in Southern California, including the distinctive saddleback mountains (Santiago and Modjeska peaks) in Orange County; Mt. San Jacinto, San Gorgonio, and Mt. San Antonio (Mt. Baldy). This is the second of six southern California summits in the 6-Pack of Peaks bundle. Done in sequence, they provide great training anyone preparing for bigger hikes such as Mt. Whitney or Half Dome. Each hike in the 6-Pack is progressively higher in altitude, and all have respectable distance and vertical elevation gain.

10 minutes ago

One of the best views ever!

I have read where it's 10.5, 12, 16 miles. My guess it's closer to the 16 miles. I think I picked a perfect time to hike, lots of water flowing down the stream and off the mountain and not to hot. Path was easy to follow and I never had to check my gps. Watching YouTube videos helps too. Very tough hike, my only negative were the swarms of gnats.

Completed our first peak in the 6 pack of peaks. It was definitely tiring, but so worth it when we made it to the top with those amazing views. There were several snow patches and rock slide areas, where you just have to go slow. We made it without poles, but they would have made it easier!

nice view
the sky beautiful

Unlike most girls I didn't ask for a nice romantic candle lit dinner, diamonds, vacation or clothes.

My wish for my birthday celebration was to go hike Cucamonga Peak with my man. This was a 16+ mile hike (was suppose to be 11.6) that is #2 in our Six Pack of Peak Challenge with 4,300 feet of vertical gain and a top elevation of 8,859′. it says it is about 4 miles to the notch. It is 5 miles to the notch and then 3.3 to the peak. You will pas two signs for Ice House Canyon trail and that is once you are already 1 mile in. One says 3 miles the other is 4.7 and both end at the notch. Then the sign for the peak says 2.4 and it is 3.3. We both had our GPS and both came out almost exactly the same.
There is a few small patches of snow on the trial but no spikes required right now.
We conquered it. My feet hurt, legs are sore and slept 10.5 hours last night so I was super tired but we had such an amazing time.
These are the things that make me the happiest. Spending time with the ones I love, pushing yourself to the limit and being outside in all of Mother Natures beauty.

Power up you'll have amazing rewards in the views all around! Back down make good use of your trekking poles or your knees gonna let you know they want some TLC later

beautiful hike. tough climb for me as I'm not in the best shape! but hey I did it! a few patches of snow that were a little sketchy but we made it through without putting on our crampons. hiking poles helped A LOT through those patches -highly recommended! the altitude kinda got to me for a bit, so be aware of that. also worth a mention is the amount of rocks on the trail. very rocky. all in all a beautiful hike.

Absolutely GORGEOUS whenever you go. I went through the entire 96 oz. bladder, plus a power gel pack. And that was in a cool day with plenty of shade last day of April 2017. We have had a long winter so still some snow patches at the top on shaded parts. Didn't really need crampons but had them just in case.
Tons of places for photo opps. I found this one easier than Mt.Wilson for some reason. Our crew was split on this with some feeling the snow made this one harder but I think that was more mental.
We launched at 7:30, stopped at the Saddle for a snack (1/2 hour). Summited at 11:30, lunch and photo opps= 1 hr (too long for my liking but rallying 12 people for a group pic, along with everyone's personal singles and selfies.....whaddya gonna do?). We were done by 3:20
Get to the parking lot early if you're going on a Saturday because it fills up quick and I think Saturdays are more pop than Sundays. There are a couple of fantastic little restaurants for after hike goodies right there in Baldy Village. Awesome burgers and drinks! Watch for the cyclist though on your ride down, they're EVERYWHERE!
Overall it's a great trail, not too busy on Sundays. I will absolutely do it again as I'm training for Whitney, so by next time I hope to do it with my pack loaded with 25-30lbs. Stay tuned.