Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail

Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail is a 10.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Baldy, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Cucamonga Peak offers amazing views over Southern California's Inland Empire, east toward Apple Valley and beyond. This hike from Icehouse Canyon is a strenuous 10.5 mile out-and-back route with over 4,000 feet of vertical gain and a top elevation of 8,859'. The north-facing slope holds snow much later in the season than other peaks. From atop Cucamonga Peak you can see most of the better-known peaks in Southern California, including the distinctive saddleback mountains (Santiago and Modjeska peaks) in Orange County; Mt. San Jacinto, San Gorgonio, and Mt. San Antonio (Mt. Baldy). This is the second of six southern California summits in the 6-Pack of Peaks bundle. Done in sequence, they provide great training anyone preparing for bigger hikes such as Mt. Whitney or Half Dome. Each hike in the 6-Pack is progressively higher in altitude, and all have respectable distance and vertical elevation gain.

Trailhead parking was pretty much full by 6:40. There were some unmarked spots on a steep slope that others seemed leery of but I figured hey, it didn't seem worse than parking in San Francisco, so I put my little 2WD sedan amidst a row of 4x4 off-road trucks haha. The trail is pretty well-marked, but I got a bit derailed in a boulder field on the way up (first time on this trail, solo hiking, and trying to pass a couple of large groups) and had to tack over to the trail. Footprints showed that I wasn't the only one who made that mistake. The switchbacks to Icehouse Saddle are pretty tough but well shaded early in the morning. There are a few different peaks from that saddle so just make sure you follow the signs. Switchbacks to the summit were pretty tough, but I ran into some friendly hikers and the small talk made it easier. There was no snow in sight. Descent to the minor saddle took about as long as the ascent because of the number of hikers who were still trying to summit. That last little uphill on the descent was brutal and unwelcome. Below Icehouse Saddle, it was quite hot by around 11 or 12. I went through a full 3L of water, which I hadn't expected, and I had to drink some Gatorade that I had brought on a whim. Getting to the car definitely felt very long, and I recorded 11.8 mi to and from the trailhead parking lot (with one minor shortcut on the ascent, no less). Happily, my car did not roll away while I was on the hike, so I think other drivers were just overly cautious.

I did Mt. Wilson the previous week, so in comparison, there are way fewer bugs and it is a bit cooler. Views were beautiful, and I'll definitely be checking out some of the other hikes around Icehouse Saddle.

Definitely worth the view! And the cloud of ladybugs at the bottom portion of the trial, so cool (: it's a tough hike, but the switchbacks at the end actually didn't seem as bad as the ones for Mt. Wilson, though!

Nice trail,great peak. Beautiful view. Imagine night up there...that'll be nice.

Awesome hike!!!

Tough hike, but the views of the top are totally worth it. Also, I didn't think the switchbacks at the top where is nearly as tough as the ones on Mount Wilson, if anybody is looking for comparison. Really pretty hike great views. Definitely wear bug spray or have a bug facemask

WOW! beautiful hike, however, very rocky, lots of gravel on most of the trail. My feet and knees were barking downhill and I had trekking poles. We started at 7:30a Friday morning, didn't run into too many hikers. We reached the summit at 1p taking breaks along the way. Gorgeous view from summit.
The saddle junction gets super windy plan on breaking before or past it. Not much wind except for junction. First 2 miles really pretty, ruins from old cabins. River rushing through- makes for gorgeous photos.

6/11/2017 5:30am start. Clear path not a lot of hikers. Took us 2hrs 47mins to the top. The Saddle and Window were very windy. Took us 2hrs 19mins down. A lot of people coming up around 9:30am.

The view from the top is amazing! The last "2 miles" is more like 3 and relentlessly steep! Bring lots of water as we each went through 100 oz on a cool day. I tacked 14 miles for this hike on my series 2 Apple Watch.