Learn more

Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(1718)
Cucamonga Wilderness

Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail is a 11.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Baldy, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 11.6 mi Elevation gain 4,314 ft Route type Out & Back

Description
Waypoints (8)
Contact
Tips

Cucamonga Peak offers amazing views over Southern California's Inland Empire, east toward Apple Valley and beyond. This hike from Icehouse Canyon is a strenuous out-and-back route with over 4,000 feet of vertical gain and a top elevation of 8,859'. The north-facing slope holds snow much later in the season than other peaks. From atop Cucamonga Peak you can see most of the better-known peaks in Southern California, including the distinctive saddleback mountains (Santiago and Modjeska peaks) in Orange County; Mt. San Jacinto, San Gorgonio, and Mt. San Antonio (Mt. Baldy). This is the second of six southern California summits in the 6-Pack of Peaks bundle. Done in sequence, they provide great training anyone preparing for bigger hikes such as Mt. Whitney or Half Dome. Each hike in the 6-Pack is progressively higher in altitude, and all have respectable distance and vertical elevation gain.

My full Cucamonga Peak trip report on SoCal Hiker http://socalhiker.net/2010/06/cucamonga-peak-via-icehouse-canyon/

Permits are required even for day hikes. Call ahead to the Baldy Village Ranger Station (909-982-2829) the day before and ask them to post it on the bulletin board. A National Parks Adventure Pass is required for parking at the trailhead. Parking fills up quickly. Carpool and get there early. There is water available in Icehouse Canyon, but treat or filter before drinking. The second half of the trail is dry. I would recommend two liters for this dry and often hot section of the trail. The second half of the trail is steep, dry and exposed. On a hot summer day, I would opt to hike a different trail.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (1718)
Photos (3816)
Recordings (1486)
Completed (3917)
joel farelli
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 12 2020

Pretty trail. 545am start, summit around 8am, spent an hour up top and down by 1130. took the alternative route on the way down that passes the campground

Jacqueline McCleary
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 10 2020
Great!Rocky

Beautiful trail. The first mile or so of the trail climbs pretty gently, as you're walking next to the stream. The grade then picks up, but abundant shade helps keep you cool. We didn't do the whole thing, going just a bit past the Icehouse saddle, but even there the views were incredible. It is noticeably cooler at the top -- up to 30 degrees cooler than Rancho Cucamonga, say -- so pack a layer in cooler months. Trail was rocky and always well-marked.

Harry Patel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 07 2020
HikingBugsGreat!Rocky

Hiked on Tuesday 07/07. Reached there at 6:50 am. Hardly 5-6 cars parked. The trail was not at all crowded. Saw about 8-10 hikers up to Ice house canyon saddle. After that very few more hikers. Hike was nice but rocky. The views from the peak were breathtaking. It doesn't look like 11.6 miles out and back. My fitness tracker watch shows 16.22 miles. So not sure. All the hikers were wearing mask. Came back to my car at 3:30 pm. took my time up there. Definitely recommend. It was worth and will definitely do it again.

Adam Ortlieb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 06 2020
Hiking

Hiked it Friday, 6/26. I grabbed the last parking spot at 7:20 AM, although this trail wasn't all that crowded. The trail is pretty rocky and seemed longer/tougher than the posted distance, especially after San Gorgonio last week. The views after the saddle and from the summit are pretty captivating. Overall, I loved it.

Emma Emma Petersen
Hiking

Parked at 615 on a Monday morning. there were parking spots still available in the lot. We enjoyed walking along the rocks and river for the first section. we got to the sign indicating 0.6 miles to the saddle and then turned back. I'd love to go back and make it to the peak.

View Emma's Recording
RikRask(Eric Richard Lasko)
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 05 2020
HikingBugsRockyScrambleWashed out

Hiked today(7/4/2020) Super crowded today but no surprise as it’s 4th of July!(Yeah America) Set off at 8am and got to the bottom around 130pm. Cool view at the top and not a very interesting hike but worth the challenge - glad to check it off the 6 SoCal peaks. Finished “In the Room Where it Happened(so so and not incredibly revelatory) and dove right into “Imaginary Friend”(really good so far.....) Lots of responsible masked hikers - good vibe on the mountain today - a nice lady was cool enough to offer to snap a photo of me at the top with the sign...good stuff people Till the next - happy 4th y’all RikRask

Simon Storey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
Hiking

Summited late yesterday, camped, and came down this morning. A beautiful and challenging trail as always. Gratitude to the 20% of fellow hikers who also respectfully wore a face covering. Everyone else — you’re cancelled.

Fiona Ford
Rocky

Loved this trail until I had to go down. I've never had any issues hiking before I've done most the other socal peaks and half dome. You must need knees of steel for this one! I got there around 5.30am and got one of the last spots in the parking lot. There were a lot of backpackers up there already. Got to the peak around 9am. Absolutely gorgeous. I did accidentally take a detour near the peak, so remember to keep right on the trail. It's a good level of challenging on the way up - not too hard. Definitely appreciated having got there early, there was zero shade after 10am. Got back down to the parking lot around 12pm.

Fiona Ford
HikingRocky
Shesalltats Andpierced
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingBugsRocky

I hiked this trail 6/30/20 with a friend and I really thought I wasn’t gonna make it. We started at 5:15am and done at 5:00pm. For a reason my app recorded about 17.7 miles but who knows? I still enjoyed this hike but I think this is probably one of the hardest hike I did besides Mt. Ranier. I’ll definitely hike this trail again. The trail is beautiful in my opinion and the view is breathtaking! Please take breaks and eat snacks, bring enough water as this trail gets harder. There’s some shades and you can sit on some trees. Also, once you reach the saddle you can relax and stretch your legs. Met some cool and nice people at the summit!

Robbie Dickinson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020
Hiking

Hiked on 7/3 and arrived at 6:10 and the parking lot was full. I don't hike often but I do run a lot. We walked quite fast and made it to the saddle in 1.5 hours, then another hour to Cucamonga peak. It is a beautiful hike - theres tons of trees, its shaded most of the way, you walk next to a river at the beginning and the views at Cucamonga peak are worth the trek.

Kait S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 02 2020
HikingBugsRocky

Amazing trail! It was very slow and steady all the way up. Scenery was gorgeous and was shaded most of the way. The waterfall at the beginning was so nice to walk next too also. I didn’t use trekking poles (super stoked about this), I usually always use them for hard hikes, but definitely not needed in my opinion.

View Kait's Recording
Rohan Vashi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 30 2020
Hiking

What a great hike! We got to the parking lot at 6:40am (it was about half filled up by that point) and we started hiking at 6:50 on 6-30-2020. The first stretch up to the saddle was covered in shade and it was a steady, but not so difficult incline. After the saddle, the trail goes down for a little bit but once it starts to go back up, it is a steady and tough incline all the way to the top without much shade. We brought enough water (roughly 2L per person). We reached the peak at 10:20am without seeing many people on the way up. We spent about 10 minutes at the saddle and about an hour at the top. The way down was pretty much all sun until the parking lot with a few spots for shade along the way. Overall, it was a great experience. Everyone on the trail was very friendly and offered up great advice. Definitely will do it again!

View Rohan's Recording
Jenny Roman-Engelhart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 29 2020
HikingRocky

This has mostly a single hiker trail path, especially during the steep inclines. The initial half a mile or so is very rocky and then it inclines very quickly. There were a lot of hikers out so occasional need to hurry up the steps to pass others. I got to the Icehouse Saddle point and it was very windy and somewhat cold at that point.

CFG Hiker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 29 2020
Hiking

We did the hike last Saturday, arriving at 5:15am and snagging one of the last remaining parking spots. The hike was beautiful. The trail was well-marked. Yes there were plenty of people but over-all everyone was trying to social distance when possible—about half wearing masks. The last bit before summiting, plenty of switchbacks and can be challenging if not use to altitude. Like most things, the better shape you’re in, the easier it will be. Still, it’s doable — just take breaks and bring plenty of water. The views along the way are GORGEOUS.

Rob B.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 28 2020
Hiking

This was an incredible hike and well worth the time and effort! The actual miles are misleading, I started the app at the Ice House Trail parking lot (which was full by 6am on Saturday) and turned it off when we got back. It recorded 14.4 miles and we did it in just over 9 hours. We stopped at the Saddle and the Peak for about an hour total. The last almost 2 miles were very difficult - I’m not a regular hiker, so if you hike everyday it may be easier. The trail to the saddle was mostly shaded and ran along the creek. The views are absolutely amazing so like I said it’s well worth it! I’d suggest starting at 5am to avoid the crowds and heat, the last 2 miles don’t have a lot of trees. Bring lots of water, we ran out of our 3 liters about half way down on the way back.

Edith Ancheta
HikingGreat!

Excellent hike. Our tracking said that it was a little over 12 miles overall and we did it in around six hours, which included some time to eat and explore at the summit. The wind was unrelenting today and we got hit by some pretty nasty dust clouds as a result but the summit itself was not as bad as the switchback ascent after the saddle. Honestly the most beautiful hike I've been on so far in the San Gabriels. It never gets too steep but it does n't ever let up or give you much of a break from climbing either. I think overall in terms of difficulty its about comparable to Mount Baldy.

Jesus Huidobro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 27 2020
Hiking

It’s not fair to only give this hike four stars, but I was completely unprepared for this hike when I did it, and my experience was not very pleasant. It was a late start, on one of the hottest days of the year and had less water than usual with me. Was only planning to hike up to the saddle, but adrenaline was flowing and I went for it. It’s so beautiful there though, so it was worth it. I know better for next time...

Mauricio Parga
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020

06.20.2020 Cucamonga Peak it's one of the most beautiful Peaks in the San Bernardino mountains and my favorite. it was a beautiful day, started about 7:30 am and got to the Peak about 11:45. it was very interesting seen so many people on the trail and mostly everyone with great attitude and friendly in COVID-19 times with the exception of a few people very critical and opinionated about social distance in such a narrow sections where no matter what you do you will pass really close to each other but the good thing is that the majority of hikers practice courtesy and understanding. Right on the Peak was and amazing day for pictures with the cotton clouds below your feet, but be prepared and be patient to take pictures as I said it was pretty crowded. The descent took us about 3h and 15 minutes. I strongly recommend it it is challenging from the Saddle to the peak but when you are at the Peak you will realize that every drop of sweat counts and it's worth it. Please be safe and carry water minimum 3 liters but I noticed some people require more, so, be prepared. HAPPY TRAILS!!!!!

PJ Kennedy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 26 2020
Backpacking

This was a great hike. Backpacked to the peak on Friday. Got a late start. Still made it to the peak well before sunset. Campsite was amazing with panoramic views. Lots of hikers coming up on Saturday as we descend so we took Chapman Trail to avoid the crowds. Lots of exposure and scree on that trail. Overall this is a beautiful hike. I’d recommend starting early and going during the week.

View PJ's Recording
Paul Ochoa
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 25 2020
Hiking

Hiked this trail on Wednesday 6/24/20. Parking was easy to find since my friends and I arrived at 5:45am. However, it was already starting to fill up, which was surprising because it was a weekday. Got away without displaying an adventure parking permit. Also called the Ranger Post and they didn’t answer three times so couldn’t grab a day use permit for the hike, but was able to hike with no problems. The weather was perfect! Sunny with few clouds. Temperature at the peak was around 68 degrees at 10am. There were a few bugs but nothing to worry about. I was perfectly fine with wearing shorts and a shirt the whole hike. Recommend bringing at least 2.5 liters of water. Started the hike at 6:15am and finished around 2pm. We took a thirty minute break at the major saddle and about an hour break at the peak. The first part of the hike intertwines with a river that comes from a waterfall. The hike has beautiful switchbacks going up towards peak through the woods. One thing I like about this hike is that it’s shaded. The elevation gain is no joke. This hike will induce labored breathing. The views are insane facing East near the saddle. The view at the peak is spectacular. It was clear skies, so I was able to see far. In addition there is a waterfall along the hike that was neat to watch. In all, this hike is in my top ten I have ever done so far. I would do this again. The views man...makes the hike 100% worth it.

Kevin Perez
HikingBugsRockyScramble

Very challenging trail with amazing landscapes and wildlife. Took me about 7.25hrs breaks and all. Make sure to bring at least 3-4 liters of water, food, and a hat. Bring a hiking buddy. The trail can be treacherous in some areas due to rock slides. Be very cautious of rock slide areas covering the trail in some areas. Keep track of rocky areas and where the trail is when returning back from the summit.