Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail

Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Cucamonga Peak offers amazing views over Southern California's Inland Empire, east toward Apple Valley and beyond. This hike from Icehouse Canyon is a strenuous out-and-back route with over 4,000 feet of vertical gain and a top elevation of 8,859'. The north-facing slope holds snow much later in the season than other peaks. From atop Cucamonga Peak you can see most of the better-known peaks in Southern California, including the distinctive saddleback mountains (Santiago and Modjeska peaks) in Orange County; Mt. San Jacinto, San Gorgonio, and Mt. San Antonio (Mt. Baldy). This is the second of six southern California summits in the 6-Pack of Peaks bundle. Done in sequence, they provide great training anyone preparing for bigger hikes such as Mt. Whitney or Half Dome. Each hike in the 6-Pack is progressively higher in altitude, and all have respectable distance and vertical elevation gain.

I’m typically a day hiker, but I decided to do this hike with a full pack so my dog and I could overnight at the peak. It was HARD with the pack, and took us an extra two hours to make it to the top. The last mile or so is very exposed and so we were stopping frequently to take breaks. Bring at least 3-4 liters of water if you don’t plan of filling up from the spring. Definitely a butt kicker, but oh man are the views awesome. The trail itself is pretty nice and I really love the spring in the first couple miles. Beautiful. It was running pretty strong in mid June. The last place to fill up on water is about halfway on the trail. Listen for some babbling water off to the right of the trail on your way up (left side if heading down). Definitely have a map and/or gps of some sort. Got a little turned around at one spot, and with such a difficult hike, you don’t really wanna be wandering the wrong direction for too long.

I wanted to get my ass kicked by a hike. This one came through. Towards the top I could only take 20 steps and then rest for 30 seconds. WATER. i am the guy that seldom drinks water on a hike. I drained 4 bottles and on the way down wished that I didn't pour two bottles on that baby pine tree next to the trail.

Great hike! Absolutely beautiful especially if you hike on a day where you are above the clouds. Downhill though is a total bitch on the knees! Super steep on certain parts and the rocky terrain just puts your feet and knees in achy agony downhill. There are some sketchy parts where you gotta go slow in order no to slip and fall down that mountain but I would do it all again in a heartbeat!

BaddAssHike BaddAssView

Been coming up this trail (and neighboring peaks) for years but this remains my firm favorite. Lots of interesting changes of scenery with elevation and that unveiling of the vista at the peak itself is always a stunning sight

This trail has it all. It is one of the best hikes in CA. Challenging, rewarding, and multiple excellent vistas. 10 out of 10.

Great all-around hike!!

tuff climb but totally doable! worth it for the view..don't be surprised if it becomes one of your favorite hikes!

beautiful trail

One of my favorite hikes, done it dozens times.

My first long hike with my hubby and friends. It was very tough but the views were to die for, it was a surprise to see snow but it was so wonderful. We weren’t prepared with food just snacks and water. So we ran all the way down lol. We did almost 16miles total. Great Adventure

Great trail with great views

We hit the trail at 1600 on a Friday and made the summit around 2000. The trail was pretty empty due to the time of day and the temperature was really nice. The spring before the saddle is still flowing strong and we filled up water there because that is the last source before the summit. We almost missed the summit trail because the sign is broken but there is a large wooden post with “peak” written on it so follow that up to the top.
We set up camp on the summit and enjoyed the sunset and sunrise. It was a little chilly but nothing to worry about at all. The only thing to keep in mind is the wind! It was extremely windy at the summit but there is plenty of natural cover so choose your camp site wisely.

great hike! loved every minute of it! amazing cool mountain breeze the whole way up and down yet the summit was perfect (not windy). loved it!

Finished this hike Saturday, May 26th. Awesome views, chilly, too many rocks for my liking, but what a great view of Gorgonio above the clouds. We started at 6:20 and it took less than 3 hours going up. Temp was under 40 degrees at the top. Took a different less traveled trail on the way down and it added 3 miles. Fog rolling in added to an incredible experience. Totals: 15.38 miles in 5 hours 40 minutes. Trekking poles are a must!

Hiked this today! It was beautiful, a tad crowded (it was Memorial Day), and sunny. The trail to the Saddle was great and scenic. When I hiked to the peak, it was incredibly strenuous. I will give some solid advice: wear the right shoes and/or use poles! You'll be walking on paths of loose rock so having a solid pair of boots is a good thing unless you are super nimble on your feet. Don't cut the switchbacks! As tempting as it sounds (due to the steepness), you will be sliding down a mountain nonstop. I saw a guy fall today from cutting a switchback, he was ok, but don't do it! It's a solid hike and well worth it.
**Bring water or some filtration system!!!!

It's a killer. But in a great sorta way. Glad we had lots of water. Trail is narrow most of the way but everyone was super friendly in letting people pass as needed. The saddle was a fun rest point. And the views at the top were worth the pain of the full trek. Nice outhouses at the trail base. Adventure Pass required to park at the trail head.

Hiked it as part of a one night backpacking trip. The hike was a challenge but quite nice. The trail itself was varied, rocky and/or steep at times, while flat and easy at others. The weather was great during my trip and the views are excellent at the top.

As John stated, bring plenty of water or some way to purify/filter natural sources.

Great trail, tough if you havnt been keeping in shape. I'm a giant of a person and I was tearing through water like there was no tomorrow, def want to bring plenty of it. The trip down from the top can be hard on the knees but is very relaxing. Bring walking sticks if you are carrying lots of weight.

Trail hiked on Wednesday, May 16, 2018, start time at approximately 0612 hours. Weather report indicated 62°/40°, Sunny; summit report projected 43°, chill 36°, and wind at 15 mph.
If you are not accustomed to cooler weather, be careful to not layer so much. I made the mistake of adding a few more layers then necessary and ditched them within the first mile. I was set to take the Icehouse Canyon Trail to Cucamonga-Peak.
The first mile was a very scenic mile, lots to see and you might get camera crazy. There was nothing fun about mile 2, it was a prelude of what was to come. If you find that you don't like it, make note that it gets worse. At mile 3.5, I got a little disoriented, if you're coming from the icehouse trail, you will see 3 trail head signs. To your left is the 3 T's trail, center is the Cucamonga-Peak trail, and to your right is the Ontario peak trail. Everything is well marked! I think just from being a little tired, I thought I had lost the icehouse trail. From this point on, the following 2. something miles change dramatically in scenery, weather, and terrain. That can't be emphasized enough!
You will be hot, cold, confused and challenged. The last mile is brutal, the switchbacks are relentless, and the terrain switches back and forth from semi rocky to just rocks!! I used trekking poles, and I wouldn't do it again without.
As previous reviewers have mentioned, this trail is doable! I'm not fit at all, I was in agony on the way down, but it's so doable. For it being a Wednesday, I was surprised to see approximately 40-50 people throughout the day. All of those wonderful people were of different ages, younger and older and lots of dogs. You can do this....one foot in front of the other!!!
**There was a chihuahua trekking this trail! Either that was a bad a** chihuahua or I'm just a weenie!**
**Also, I'm not sure if there is etiquette for coming up on someone from behind while in the wilderness, but I'd like to state this: had I not forgotten my bear spray in the car, I probably would have sprayed every man that startled me unannounced! You were fit and stealthy, I thought you were a bear!** Just sayin'.

Hey guys- just a question here. Don't have a car, taking a lyft up to Icehouse Saddle. I wasn't sure how to get back home? Is there a shuttle? Is hitchhiking a terrible option? Might just rent a car but trying to avoid it because after this hike, I think I'd just want to go home instead of making an extra trip. Let me know.
*Also rating this because I need to post this!

a great hike, if you're looking for a workout, this is the hike for you. some is hard surface, some is shale some are loose gravel, so the section between the saddle and the peak is downright dangerous due to loose gravel ,but it's an awesome.

Harder hike than I thought it would be, but worth the views! Get there early so you can get a spot in the parking lot and to beat the crowds. Drink plenty of water...

Did this with a four others, and it was awesome! We took 6 hours to summit and had the place to ourselves for the night of 5/10. Beautiful trails all the way up, great views, and a perfect sunset. VERY windy up on the top but we slept there anyway. Woke up to a great sunrise and clouds covering everything below, so it felt like a world away. Made it back down in 4.

Take at least 4 liters from Columbine up and you should be good. Be sure not to miss it on the right side of the trail before the saddle.

My first real hike, and it was a doozy. I was pretty overweight and out of shape but I was determined to get to the top so that I could take a good dating profile pic on the rock that hangs over the valley. I was completely unprepared and only packed a granola bar and a liter of water but my buds and I made it up and back in 12 hours with lots of breaks. You pass by a lovely stream, the remains of ruined stone cabins, waterfalls, and a mine with lots of malachite strewn about on the way up. There are about two dozen switchbacks which feel interminable while you're on them and are even worse on the way down when your knees turn to jelly. Pack sunscreen and possibly mosquito repellent, and more water than you think you'll need.

Managed to finish the hike in 7 hours last time I did it in decent shape.

This is a TOUGH 12 mile hike! Physically and mentally. You really have to pay attention the entire time you're moving to avoid tripping over large rocks, roots, and shale. The scenery is really beautiful, lots of backpackers and overnight campers up there. I started at 7am and the parking lot was full. There was shade most of the way up in the morning, but as soon as noon hits it is fully exposed & hot all the way. The switchbacks are LONG, not short like Baden-Powell. Bring 4+ Liters of water, electrolyte and salt chews for that elevation gain. Only 3 stars because of the mass amounts of people & difficult terrain which wore me down mentally before I was physically tired.

subi el domingo 13 de mayo fue como mi septima vez q hago cucamonga y me tomo 3 horas en subir y bajar excelente caminata

Awesome. Definitely tough, but do-able. Killed my water 3/4 of the way back down but chugged some right from a spring. I’ll bring a gallon next time!

Beautiful trail with a great view. Difficult but doable.

Every time I get to head out west I meet up with some LA pals and we try to do a summit. This was a beautiful hike from beginning to end that's fairly challenging for someone from the midwest such as myself, where we don't get to enjoy this sort of terrain.

Nice paths all the way up, we found a hidden bottle of whiskey on the summit and took appropriate photos doing a swig on the peak's famous overhang. I was wiped after we returned to the car but enjoyed every moment.