Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail

Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Cucamonga Peak offers amazing views over Southern California's Inland Empire, east toward Apple Valley and beyond. This hike from Icehouse Canyon is a strenuous out-and-back route with over 4,000 feet of vertical gain and a top elevation of 8,859'. The north-facing slope holds snow much later in the season than other peaks. From atop Cucamonga Peak you can see most of the better-known peaks in Southern California, including the distinctive saddleback mountains (Santiago and Modjeska peaks) in Orange County; Mt. San Jacinto, San Gorgonio, and Mt. San Antonio (Mt. Baldy). This is the second of six southern California summits in the 6-Pack of Peaks bundle. Done in sequence, they provide great training anyone preparing for bigger hikes such as Mt. Whitney or Half Dome. Each hike in the 6-Pack is progressively higher in altitude, and all have respectable distance and vertical elevation gain.

Summited today. No trail and sheer ice/snow from the last saddle to the peak, microspikes will do the trick. Crampons and ice axe required. Incredible views and beautiful weather, rocked just a t-shirt from start til finish.

I would recommend this hike for anyone with a good activity level. Can bring kids up the route for first half mile then gets wet from snow melt. A few rivers to cross. Snow about 85% way up. Great views!!

First few miles are easy enough. About 2 miles in micro spikes or crampons are a must, especially in the afternoon when the snow gets slushy. Some of the peak trails are snowed out at the top so be sure to bring proper gear if you plan on summit any peak

Loved this trail. I owe it to my hiking partner on not letting me quit and encouraging me to the summit....crampons are a must. the hiking poles helped. I sweat alot so make sure you layer up and remove/add as needed.

If there’s snow, spikes are a must.

We planed for Baldy but it was closed during the president weekend so we hit the Ice House canyon trail, it was covered in snow and trail was not visible so if you don't know the way you will end up in the Canyon, as mentioned in previous reviews you need minimum spikes and better to have crampons more if you gonna hike in the dark. We spent the overnight, it felt like -5 and in early morning around -10.

WEAR SPIKES!!!!! We went yesterday and couldn’t do past the icehouse saddle, due to the ice and snow. For the peak you’ll will need spikes and they also advised the ice pick or axe ( never used) but great steep hike about 7 miles from bottom to saddle. Was wearing my xultras and they were ok walking up the snow and ice. But made my own trail when ice was bad. Beautiful views!!!!

Started at 5:30am 1/26 with just two of us. Made quick work to the saddle but there were icy patches along the way intermittently spread out so as to annoy you... put the micro-spikes on at the saddle and headed up summiting around 9:30am. Very windy today and some tricky sections to traverse on ice but it was beautiful and well worth the effort

For me, this peak takes the cake for providing the most picturesque view of the inland empire! Beginning hikers seeking to test their legs legs will to well to check this off their list early, as it's a busy trail(with many other hikers around to provide assistance if necessary) and the payoff is WELL worthwhile. Good luck!

Good, tough hike. Snow gets slippery!

Great day out met plenty of good people on the way could not get to the top as the snow from the last saddle to the peak was icy so ice axe and crampons would be needed, will certainly go back to bag it either with the correct gear or in easier conditions

Hiked on 1/19/2019. Ice and snow covered starting from about a mile in from the trail head. Deep snow covered the trail to Cucamonga peak, and we feel unsafe going on a slope covered with deep snow without ax and snow shoes so we decided to turn back. But it was an awesome day to enjoy the snow.

Great trail for the family!!

Beautiful trail. First snow hike. Trekking poles are a must, if I didnt have them I would have probably slipped down the mountain. I got here earlier today at 8am and I was one of the first ones here, it was pretty empty. Keep in mind it's a weekday. It is pretty tough if you haven't hiked in a while, I contemplated giving up multiple times. The trail to the peak at some point was hidden in snow and I felt that it was best if I didnt continue, plus my crampons broke. I'll be sure to finish this trail in the summer.

This was my first hike at this location and hiking in the snow. Great workout...crampons and trekking poles helped. Completed in 9 hours. Since it was supposed to rain later that day it was super windy and began snowing on the way back down. Hiking in the snow was awesome and the scenery was beautiful. Can’t wait to do this one again in better weather conditions to be able to absorb more of the scenery.

hiked on 12/19/18

absolutely amazing. micro spikes were a must. hiking poles are extremely helpful, i don't summit without them!

started at 8:30. got to the top by 1. ate lunch for about an hour. got back down by 5. next time I will start an hour early because the sun had set by the time we got back to the parking lot.

this hike can be dangerous for those who don't come prepared. we ran into someone who slid 100 feet because they were in Nikes and no micro spikes. luckily they weren't alone. not sure what the current conditions are, i would call the ranger station a day in advance to make sure.

anyways, had a total blast doing this. i definitely recommend getting some miles in before doing this one because it is mighty strenuous. can't wait to train properly and do it again!

Hiked to the peak without micro-spikes, worst mistake ive ever made. Almost fell off a slope but thanks to someone near by helped me up, very dangerous without spikes at the moment.

best wire of entire ie!!...by far!

12/28/18 — Whoa. The winds were wicked. Micro spikes needed from around 3.5 miles in until the peak. Snow was over the ankles in places near the top. Had the peak to myself.

Hiked this trail on 12/27/18.

The first 3.6 miles from the trailhead to Ice House Saddle were mostly dry with scattered patches of snow and ice along the way. The next 2.5 miles from Ice House Saddle to Cucamonga Peak were almost completely covered with snow and ice...you will definitely want micro-spikes and trekking poles from this point to make your way to the top if hiking in snowy conditions. We did the hike in 9 hours (7am-4pm) taking our time and making several stops along the way, but we probably could have done it in 7 hours or less if we were hustling a bit more.

Overall, it’s a beautiful trail that can be considered moderate to challenging depending upon your experience and fit. There’s a tranquil creek that runs parallel to the trail for the first couple miles and once you climb higher you’ll be awarded with stunning views of the valley. It’s a well maintained trail from bottom to top. Do it, you won’t be disappointed!

Great hike

Hiked to top. Lots of ice so wear spikes and bring poles!

Good hike. Was iced over before the saddle, so I decided to turn back & stay the night at Cedar Glen camp since it was later in the day. Had a great view from the top spot at the camp.

Instagram @OutdoorCorn
YouTube @ Outdoor Corn

I just hiked this on 9th December 2018. Lots of spaces in the lot, I arrived at 6:15 am. Beautiful hike! Definitely harder in knee deep snow past the saddle. Micro spikes and trekking poles were very helpful as some parts were ice. Beautiful view! It took about 4.5 hours up! Check out my insta pics of it! ig: @yvonne_rebecca

Great hike. Lots of snow. Make sure you at least have micro spikes as the snow turns into ice. We did not come down the DBB as few hikers warned us about it. We came down thru the ice house the same way we went up.

Love it!!

GOOD view! Warning: There is snow very, very early into the trail; trekking poles or a good set of spikes for traction. I did not prepare for the snow and went in tights and a t-shirt. There wasn't a lot of people; I arrived at 7:00 am and the parking lot was still half empty. Took almost 5 hours to complete the entire thing.

Highly recommend for beginners who have a few easy mountains under their belt.

What a hike!! Got to the trail at 6:30 on Sat Dec 1st, parking lot less then a 1/4 full... No snow the first 1/4 way up, after that the trail is full of ice and snow, sometimes as much as a couple feet deep as your getting closer to the top... My $30 micro spikes made a huge difference. I saw people turn around, but I also saw people make it just wearing hiking shoes... Summer is gone, it’s winter up there now, and only going to get more snow and colder, be prepared.. Bring your layers, head gear, hiking poles, gloves, a good pair of winter hiking boots, and definitely your spikes.. Check the weather before you go, it can change quickly and turn a great day into a dangerous one.. Plan extra
Time, the snow and ice will slow you down, always bring a light in case it takes you longer and starts
To get dark... It took me 9 hours to complete, I am an older guy but in shape, I’m sure you youngsters can do it faster, just bring your winter gear to be prepared.. Overall what a great day, the snow, the clean air, doesn’t get much better...

Did this hike to Cucamonga Peak 2-weekends in a row. The first time 11/18. Started at 8am. Lots of people en route to the saddle. Reached the saddle at 10am. And the peak was reached at 1230pm. On the way down the sunset beat us and we walked the last mile in darkness. Reached the car at 5:30pm. Yesterday 11/24. Larger group, 4adults/3middle schoolers and a slower pace. Started at 8am. Lots of people headed up the icehouse canyon. Reached the saddle at 11am. Had some hot chocolate (it was cold) started towards cucamonga peak around 12. Slowly but surely (take your time, and focus on getting there, not how much longer to get there) reached the peak around 3:45pm. Ate some cup-o-noodles (it was really cold and windy, the warm noodles hit the spot) gradually descended at 4:45 but sunset came by too fast and we literally hiked down the peak in darkness. We had headlamps and flashlights. Again, the descent can take a toll on your legs, good leg condition because the hike up to the peak at the last quarter will challenge your legs, and on the way down the last 2miles are full of rocks so by this point your legs will feel wobbly and weak. Although proper hiking boots will make a huge difference in this hike. Your feet will thank you and so will your knees and ankles. We made it to the car at 9:40pm. Hahahah. I loved it. Worth it. Feel the burn. And get some rest. On to the next.
Ig skyhighhiking & hikenites.la

Great hike as always. No wind, no ice as of today however the temp can be in mid 30s when you start around 6-7am. Warmer at the top!