Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail

Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak Trail is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Cucamonga Peak offers amazing views over Southern California's Inland Empire, east toward Apple Valley and beyond. This hike from Icehouse Canyon is a strenuous out-and-back route with over 4,000 feet of vertical gain and a top elevation of 8,859'. The north-facing slope holds snow much later in the season than other peaks. From atop Cucamonga Peak you can see most of the better-known peaks in Southern California, including the distinctive saddleback mountains (Santiago and Modjeska peaks) in Orange County; Mt. San Jacinto, San Gorgonio, and Mt. San Antonio (Mt. Baldy). This is the second of six southern California summits in the 6-Pack of Peaks bundle. Done in sequence, they provide great training anyone preparing for bigger hikes such as Mt. Whitney or Half Dome. Each hike in the 6-Pack is progressively higher in altitude, and all have respectable distance and vertical elevation gain.

Hard. Fun.

My wife and I hiked this Saturday 9/8/18. We arrived to a full parking lot at the trailhead at around 7:15 Saturday morning. We did find a spot along the road where we could get off to the side adequately. As everyone says though, get here early for a spot. It was going to be 100 degrees in the valley so wasn’t sure we’d hike the entire way today but it was very comfortable temperature in the mountains and much of the trail was covered so not fully exposed to the sun which was great.

It starts off along the creek and the sound of the water is very nice as you hike along!

My wife and I aren’t ones for “dangerous” hikes and we felt very safe along the entire route. Although there are switchbacks and walking along the mountain sides, I never felt uncomfortable. Highly recommend trekking poles and good hiking boots though as there are rocks and gravel areas where you want good footing and poles for balance as well as take weight off your knees etc.

Took me 3.5 hours up with a couple short stops to talk to other hikers. And 2.5 down non-stop. The views are awesome. As for the last few hundred yards to the summit, I’ve read people think it’s steep and the hardest part of the hike....I’d have to disagree as it wasn’t the kick in the teeth I was expecting and really not much harder than any other part of the hike. The hard part of this hike is that it is long....it says 11.6 but by my GPS it was 14. Don’t think you are doing this hike if you haven’t had some training or aren’t at least fit as it is a long way up and back!

Have fun. It’s doable!

Beautiful, varying, winding, lovely

I love this trail! It is definitely a harder hike but it is definitely worth it. The views at the top are great because you can see all of the inland Empire. I would recommend filling up your water at the stream at the beginning of the trail because there is none closer to the top. HAVE FUN!!!

I've done this hike three time in a six week period with the last two being over-nighters on consecutive weekends! At this point, its my favorite place to summit because of the view! Especially at night! You can take in the view of pretty much the entire Inland Empire as well as the High Desert!

Now to the terrain. The trail is definitely challenging once to pass Icehouse Saddle. The trail has some ups and downs as well as some very deceptive inclines! once you reach "The Tree" you start the last leg of the trail which is pretty much switchbacks the whole way but the views are spectacular! I can't wait to do a winter hike up there! :-) Finally, you'll come to a fork in the trail where you'll see a post that is supposed to have a sign attached to it. You'll want to stay to the right of that because the other pathway will take you to Etiwanda (so I've been told). That last couple hundred yards seems to be the most grueling! I'm not sure if its just because you've hiked almost six miles of rugged terrain or if its actually the hardest part of the hike!

If you haven't already been there, it'll seem like forever to take that last few hundred feet but as you reach the top, and the IE down below comes into view, you'll forget all about the last few hours!

All in all, I HIGHLY recommend this hike.

As I stated before, at this point, Cucamonga Peak is my favorite peak to summit! maybe its because I've been there and camped out, the spectacular views or the hike itself... whatever my reason, I promise, you will not be disappointed!

~LSO~

beautiful

Very difficult! Bring plenty of water as the trail is hot this time of year. Beautiful views from the top though! :)

So beautiful once you get up there, it’s super hard but totally worth it.

We arrived at the parking lot at 6 am, filled up quickly. We started our hike at 6:30 am
This hike was a difficult once since I hadn't been keeping up with much of an exercise prior to this hike. It took us 4 hours to reach the peak. I had to stop frequently to catch my breathe and let my heart rate settle down.
Once we reached the peak, the views were amazing. We stayed for about 90 minutes prior to heading back down. The decent back down was rough. Not sure if the incline or decline was tougher. My hips, knees and ankles were hurting due to the twisting from the loose rocks, uneven rocky trail. The stream once we arrived down felt amazing as we cooled ourselves off by using our cooling towels.
Tough but beautiful, hike. My calves were tight for at least 6 days.
A must hike, but be ready for a tough one

Pretty trail

Just finished our hike leaving from Icehouse Canyon (8/25/18), Trail was in great condition, parking lot was already crowded by 6:30. There was construction happening, so beware that there are less spots!

Gorgeous views, nice trail, the elevation gain overall was not that intense, challenging but not crushing. Not on a level with Sierra passes, but great training for it, especially if you bring your pack. Get to the parking lot early, it was full by sunrise (slightly after 6:00am), though it was Saturday. Happy hiking!

I just sigh er is the season of a good sqfor

love this place. Good amount of people but still feels like the wilderness. Be sure to bring at least 3 liters of water. This trail can be deceiving. The view from the top makes it wwwweeeellllll worth it though

Amazing hike! Like the others - it was definitely tough (made harder by hauling up a pack) and totally worth it. You really get the bang for your buck on this hike - every part is beautiful. We started later than we had initially wanted (4pm) and got to the summit in 3.5 hours. Since we came that late in the day there was plenty of parking in the lot.

There is a stream a couple miles in that comes right out of the side of the mountain that many folks filled their water at - had I known I would have carried less water the first couple miles and filled up there to make better time (I think it's about 2 miles in?). When we got to the summit there were about 10 other tents scattered around. We were still able to get a spectacular spot overlooking the valley and although we were camped among a bunch of other folks, it still felt pretty remote. I would definitely do this hike again. I don't normally hike with trekking poles (I wear patellar supports), but am considering purchasing some as the downhill was a bit intense with a pack.

Fun hike.... Holy Fire was really affecting the air quaility, made it a little bit harder.... last mile is killer. Met an awesome group of hikers at the summit as well

love it up here. be advised, 2 bear sightings a mile apart. 8-5-2018. 10:30pm Mt baldy Rd. first was at the Mt baldy rest area.

August 8, 2018

wish I could post a picture. looks horrible. the lake Elsinore area fire has peaks covered in smoke. check out 10064ft.com cam footage.

Awesome hike! Started at sunrise to beat some of the heat. The parking lot was already 3/4th full. Get there early! Loved the trail and the sound of the wind through the trees. I recommend Trekking Poles especially for parts going down hill. Parts are rocky and have some loose gravel. If you are steady on your feet you will be fine. Take lots of water and suncreen. Awesome views at the top! I will hike this again!

Good tough hike, just make sure to bring poles. Most importantly, save your water for your way down, the temperature at the summit is much cooler and shaded compared to below Icehouse Saddle.

Very challenging, I felt it was harder than Baldy, but it could have just been my mood that day. Dont forget your hiking poles for this be one and expect a full day. Start early as usual, but generally low traffic as compared to Baldy.

I loved this hike. I do some pretty brutal hikes this one is a good one! I will be going again. I suggest a good amout of fluids to keep hydrated and sunblock. I did go on a very warm day but the temps up there were significantly lower than down at the ground level and the breeze through the mountains was perfect!

What an amazing, day. We completed and hiked Mt. Baldy’s Icehouse Canyon to ‘Cucamonga Peak’ at 8859ft in 6hrs. I love hiking with my friends. Let’s hike another, one. This was an amazing up coming Bday, with a hike. Now, Let’s eat... ❤️

Great trail. Been on it 2 times since living in the Los Angeles basin. This trail is not intended for the weak hearted. Lots of cardio going up so pack light doing a dayhike. Once you reach Icehouse Saddle, you have an option to hike the three "T's" on the left, or hike up towards the right either to Kelly Camp towards two of the peaks which I forgot the names of or to Cucamonga Peak and/or Etiwanda Peak. On the weekends, get at the parking lot early before the sun comes up because parking gets full quick. Have fun & be safe.

The Hike: Completed on 7/15/18
Parking at the trailhead fills up quickly I was in the lot parked by 5:30 AM and many others were already there,with less than half the lot left. This hike is very tough be prepared. It starts off with a very rocky incline that follows a stream for about 1 mile. You travel about 2 miles or so until you are out of the rocky incline. Then there’s about 2 miles of some steep switchbacks that take you up to icehouse saddle.

Ice house saddle is a nice place to take a break as it is shaded, but beware there are tons and tons of mosquitoes, flies and other bugs that will not leave you alone. I didn’t bring bug spray and it was really annoying I just continued on to take a break elsewhere.

After icehouse saddle there are some beautiful views along the trail and it’s an up and down trail for about 1 mile before the toughest part of the hike. 1 mile before the summit are some really really steep switchbacks that get you huffing and puffing all the way up ! I summited at 830 AM and stayed at the summit enjoying my lunch and resting for 1 hour.

The way back down was a breeze only because I had trekking poles without them the decent would have really been horrible as it is very steep m, narrow, and loose gravel. I was back in the parking lot by 11:50 AM

All in all 3 hours up, 1 hour break at summit, and 2 hours down. 6 hours total trip time !

tough one, but so very worth it. I still dream about this hike. IronWill, CTAG

I was there on Monday, 7/9 to get out of the heat and to complete a six pack peak.. Boy, was I not disappointed! Due to some clouds it was enough to shield the sun’s hot rays and made for a great summer climb. Best part is no traffic on trail!!

We started 415am and got back to the car around 1230-40pm

All around great hike and quite the challenge with this heat wave towards the end once onto the last mountain side (get ready for switchbacks).

The rest at the top was well deserved!

Beautiful. Just buy your adventure pass and head there. You will not regret it.

Awesome hike! My favorite of the SoCal Six Pack of Peaks. The hike up was great. Challenging in certain areas and clearings that provides amazing views

I'm just getting into hiking, training for a trip to the Italian Alps. This has been the most challenging for me thus far. The main reason is the constant incline up and rocks this trail has. I have asthma and had to take breathing breaks often. I'm sure part of that was the altitude. I made it 2 miles up. It's best to wear mid to high boots to protect your ankles. Coming down is hard on the knees. I zoomed down the mountain at a pretty fast pace though. The trail is very beautiful with the running springs and plenty of shade. I'd like to go back and try to reach the peak next time.