Ice House Canyon Trail

Ice House Canyon Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Ice House Canyon is just under 8 miles long and located near Mt Baldy. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a full day. The Ice House Canyon is a popular day hike with a trail head just north of Mount Baldy Village. The trail is not to strenuous, but if you are hiking in the winter, snow and Ice is a factor. The saddle is the destination for most hikers and views of Mount Baldy and Ontario Peak can be seen. You will follow a stream for almost the first two miles of the hike. There are great little cabins along the way as well. The trail also leads to several other trail, good backpacking and even to Mount Baldy. Wonderful creek trail ascending to great canyon views and pristine high country. This is one of the finest hikes in the San Gabriel Mountains. You climb the heart of scenic Icehouse Canyon into the Cucamonga Wilderness to Icehouse Saddle, then to the top of the 8303-foot Timber Mountain. From the trailhead follow the path east, under a canopy of oak, alder, spruce, cedar, fir, and pine. After 1.8 miles you reach the entrance to the Cucamonga Wilderness. The trail gets steeper as you travel up the canyon. In 3.5 miles from the start, you reach Icehouse Saddle, a nice destination if you'd like to turn back at this point. If you're heading on to Timber Mountain, take the trail to the left (north). Follow the trail as it switchbacks up the southwest-facing slope of Timber. At the west ridge before the trail heads down to the saddle between Timber Mountain and Telegraph Peak, turn right (east) on the marked spur trail, following it .25 mile to the summit. After soaking in the beauty of this splendid high country, return the way you came.

beautiful!! my 10 year old son did it with me and he loved it. micro spikes needed alot of snow and ice.

Awesome hike, lots of snow.

Kind of anti-climactic at the end just going to the saddle, but overall a really great hike and lovely views along the way.

Amazing views! A little icy but manageable.

beautiful place , Great work out.

Took my 7.5 year old chocolate lab Winston up to the saddle today. Great hike and great weather. A little bit of snow on the trail up to the 3 mile mark, and then snow consistently from there up to the saddle. It wasn’t icy, but it is worth taking micro spikes or some good boots if you plan to go above the snow line. There was a couple in basketball shoes that had to turn around.

This is my first post and someone I met on the trail today told me about this app. Hopefully the update on the conditions helps someone out.

Awesome hike. If you go with snow on the ground make sure to wear spikes. The switch backs up to the saddle can get slippery.

Very nice hike, as mapped here taking the chapman trail back it is 9 miles though. I enjoyed the chapman trail, hiking back along the wall of the canyon provides nice views.

I hiked this trail shortly after the first snowfall and it was a killer workout. If you plan on hiking through the snow be sure to take appropriate gear.

The views along the trail are gorgeous.

Its really rocky for the first half the way up then the trail turns into a normal dirt trail. Steep steady climb. Take your time and don’t rush and you will make it. My 8 year old made it up to the saddle and back down in 4.5 hours for a total of 7.2 miles. The stream running down the mountain is great way to take your mind off the burning legs and chest. Loved the crisp mountain air.

Kicked my ass

Nice trail. Lots of bugs though. Annoying.

First hike in twenty years and loved it. Went on Friday around 9:30am. Not crowded, only crossed about 20-25 others during the entire hike. There is quite a bit of rock, gravel and step-ups that make the hike a challenge. A few elevation runs get your heart rate going but there is plenty of room to rest if needed. The scenery is beautiful and peaceful. Legs were burning about half way down with all of the rocks.

I thought I was gonna die! Lol! I am just starting to hike again and this might have been a bit ambitious of me! We were heading to Ontario Peak, but I only make it to Icehouse Saddle. 4.2 miles and 2500 ft elevation gain. This trail kicked my butt! The fall colors were putting on a show and the trail is beautiful, paralleling a stream part of the way. I wish my spaghetti legs had allowed me to head down to if for a photo op, but I was afraid that I wouldn't make it back up to the trail! I will do this hike again, and I will make it to the peak next time!

I don’t care for hiking on rocks .. trail is better after the saddle.

Love this hike! So beautiful with running water throughout the hike :-) Bring hiking poles!

Beautiful, amazing hike. Wish I had brought lunch and extra water bottles.

Did it today, was tough but awesome

if you hike frequently, this hike won't take you a full day. I can go from the Icehouse trailhead to Icehouse saddle In under 2 hours. I've done the Icehouse trail and Chapman loop in 4 and a half hours. great hike though!

Great hike! I loved the views. The creek running by portions of the trail is beautiful and refreshing. It was wonderful to see so many out enjoying nature!

My favorite hike to frequent as a local from Claremont. Not sure if I would rate this trail as difficult. Moderate for sure. Only moderately difficult part IMO are the switchbacks nearing the saddle. Nice mix of shade and sun and makes for a lovely hike as it parallels the creek. Lots of Columbine wild flowers, manzanitas and pines.

Great Hike! Note that the actual mileage as shown on the map is 8.9 miles

I love the hike, but it's extremely crowded on the weekends.

I love doing this trail. Have done all but 2 of the trails that break off of the Saddle. I'm getting dropped off at the Icehouse Trailhead and getting picked up at Little Creek Rd, this Sunday.

It was a great hike. The weather was nice while we were there this morning. The hike was moderate with lots of rocks. On our way down, one lady hiker felt and the fire fighter has to come and help her out So hike carefully n watch your step.

First hike in CA since moving from Denver, and did not disappoint. Great mix of terrain and grade with some excellent views.

Very interesting trail starts off lush and covered next to the stream. Becomes more arid as you ascend. The vegetation changes with the elevation including manzanitas and ponderosa pines. Uphill all the way out and therefore downhill all the way back. Great little trail would be worth doing again to do a backpacking camping trip. Many trails throughout the area.

it's long but scene keeps changing. lush at beginning turns to Rocky turns to arid. trail never disappoints.

Definitely one of my favorite trails in the area. Beautiful, many options when you get up to the saddle. Also, easy place to hike around in the snow. Not really for casual hikers though.

This trail is gorgeous, but overnight there was a heavy snow when I did it (mid-March), so be sure to be prepared for any weather conditions.