Ice House Canyon Trail

Ice House Canyon Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Ice House Canyon is just under 8 miles long and located near Mt Baldy. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a full day. The Ice House Canyon is a popular day hike with a trail head just north of Mount Baldy Village. The trail is not to strenuous, but if you are hiking in the winter, snow and Ice is a factor. The saddle is the destination for most hikers and views of Mount Baldy and Ontario Peak can be seen. You will follow a stream for almost the first two miles of the hike. There are great little cabins along the way as well. The trail also leads to several other trail, good backpacking and even to Mount Baldy. Wonderful creek trail ascending to great canyon views and pristine high country. This is one of the finest hikes in the San Gabriel Mountains. You climb the heart of scenic Icehouse Canyon into the Cucamonga Wilderness to Icehouse Saddle, then to the top of the 8303-foot Timber Mountain. From the trailhead follow the path east, under a canopy of oak, alder, spruce, cedar, fir, and pine. After 1.8 miles you reach the entrance to the Cucamonga Wilderness. The trail gets steeper as you travel up the canyon. In 3.5 miles from the start, you reach Icehouse Saddle, a nice destination if you'd like to turn back at this point. If you're heading on to Timber Mountain, take the trail to the left (north). Follow the trail as it switchbacks up the southwest-facing slope of Timber. At the west ridge before the trail heads down to the saddle between Timber Mountain and Telegraph Peak, turn right (east) on the marked spur trail, following it .25 mile to the summit. After soaking in the beauty of this splendid high country, return the way you came.

What a great trail. We made it as far as the icehouse saddle. Incredible scenery the whole way. Would love to come back and try to make it up the timber mountain extension. We did not take the Chapman Trail back because we figured we needed a bit more practice first.

Amazing hike!! So beautiful, and I loved the historic old buildings along the path. Most are in ruins but still very beautiful to see.
The river was beautiful, and there were mini waterfalls everywhere.
A must go if you love the outdoors. Only 1hr away from Los Angeles.

I love this trail. I get great practice hiking rocky terrain, narrow trails that are wet at times, a steady steep climb...another words, it's a real hike! It was a nice workout...and I can't wait to go back. There are a lot of people on the trail, it's really popular, enough so that it can be a bit of a challenge to find parking. I've gone in the winter as well as summer...we definitely needed our YakTraks to get through the icy, rocky sections. It's fun...but one to take seriously.

It has a beautiful creek when you barely begin that just gets better as you keep going, eventually it gets tough going up the mountain to the saddle, not too bad just an uphill battle, at the top it's windy and chilly, but has a great view! From there you can go back to the starting point via the loop or continue on to Mt. Baldy and another trail.

Started on a Saturday morning and got there around 7:15 am. All parking spots were taken but plenty of street parking if you don't mind an extra 3-5 min walk.

My gf and I hiked to the Saddle and then all the way up to Timber Mountain. It stayed pretty cool (August 19th) throughout morning and we made it up to the saddle in about 2-2.5 hours at around 9:45 and overall saw maybe 30 - 40 people total to the saddle. We ate some snack and went to Timber and ran into maybe 10 people and it took another 45 minutes. We're both in descent shape so this was not that difficult if you take the valley trail vs the Chapman trail. Overall great hike, bring a sandwich and some snacks because you'll get hungry. I had 2 liters of water and am 5'8 158 lbs. with about 1/2 liter+ left.

beautiful and tough

I love this trail! I feel like I've been on a REAL hike after doing this one. I know it's rated hard, and people need to to take it seriously, but it is also very doable. I believe the "hard" ranking is given due to the steep climbing (at times on muddy or sandy ground), the enormous amount of rocks you will walk over or around, and the narrow pathway that is at times near an edge you really don't want to fall over. So take this hike, be mindful of the path, pack a lunch for brief rests if needed, enjoy some gorgeous vistas...and have pizza and beer waiting for you at home. You will have earned it!