Ice House Canyon Trail

Ice House Canyon Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Ice House Canyon is just under 8 miles long and located near Mt Baldy. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a full day. The Ice House Canyon is a popular day hike with a trail head just north of Mount Baldy Village. The trail is not to strenuous, but if you are hiking in the winter, snow and Ice is a factor. The saddle is the destination for most hikers and views of Mount Baldy and Ontario Peak can be seen. You will follow a stream for almost the first two miles of the hike. There are great little cabins along the way as well. The trail also leads to several other trail, good backpacking and even to Mount Baldy. Wonderful creek trail ascending to great canyon views and pristine high country. This is one of the finest hikes in the San Gabriel Mountains. You climb the heart of scenic Icehouse Canyon into the Cucamonga Wilderness to Icehouse Saddle, then to the top of the 8303-foot Timber Mountain. From the trailhead follow the path east, under a canopy of oak, alder, spruce, cedar, fir, and pine. After 1.8 miles you reach the entrance to the Cucamonga Wilderness. The trail gets steeper as you travel up the canyon. In 3.5 miles from the start, you reach Icehouse Saddle, a nice destination if you'd like to turn back at this point. If you're heading on to Timber Mountain, take the trail to the left (north). Follow the trail as it switchbacks up the southwest-facing slope of Timber. At the west ridge before the trail heads down to the saddle between Timber Mountain and Telegraph Peak, turn right (east) on the marked spur trail, following it .25 mile to the summit. After soaking in the beauty of this splendid high country, return the way you came.

Hiking for 2.5 hours was rough but in the end, the view from the mountaintop was amazing and unforgettable

Love this hike! So beautiful with running water throughout the hike :-) Bring hiking poles!

Beautiful, amazing hike. Wish I had brought lunch and extra water bottles.

Did it today, was tough but awesome

if you hike frequently, this hike won't take you a full day. I can go from the Icehouse trailhead to Icehouse saddle In under 2 hours. I've done the Icehouse trail and Chapman loop in 4 and a half hours. great hike though!

Great hike! I loved the views. The creek running by portions of the trail is beautiful and refreshing. It was wonderful to see so many out enjoying nature!

My favorite hike to frequent as a local from Claremont. Not sure if I would rate this trail as difficult. Moderate for sure. Only moderately difficult part IMO are the switchbacks nearing the saddle. Nice mix of shade and sun and makes for a lovely hike as it parallels the creek. Lots of Columbine wild flowers, manzanitas and pines.

Great Hike! Note that the actual mileage as shown on the map is 8.9 miles

I love the hike, but it's extremely crowded on the weekends.

I love doing this trail. Have done all but 2 of the trails that break off of the Saddle. I'm getting dropped off at the Icehouse Trailhead and getting picked up at Little Creek Rd, this Sunday.

It was a great hike. The weather was nice while we were there this morning. The hike was moderate with lots of rocks. On our way down, one lady hiker felt and the fire fighter has to come and help her out So hike carefully n watch your step.

First hike in CA since moving from Denver, and did not disappoint. Great mix of terrain and grade with some excellent views.

Very interesting trail starts off lush and covered next to the stream. Becomes more arid as you ascend. The vegetation changes with the elevation including manzanitas and ponderosa pines. Uphill all the way out and therefore downhill all the way back. Great little trail would be worth doing again to do a backpacking camping trip. Many trails throughout the area.

it's long but scene keeps changing. lush at beginning turns to Rocky turns to arid. trail never disappoints.

Definitely one of my favorite trails in the area. Beautiful, many options when you get up to the saddle. Also, easy place to hike around in the snow. Not really for casual hikers though.

This trail is gorgeous, but overnight there was a heavy snow when I did it (mid-March), so be sure to be prepared for any weather conditions.

That was tuff but fun

Great hike!! Many options to do more trails once you reach the saddle

Good walk with a climb. Along a stream for a good part of it with some cool old structures and lots of rock.
Wear good shoes

my husband and I went on a spontaneous hike up the trail yesterday. Since it was spur of the moment, we weren't as prepared as we should've been with proper footwear and gear, but we stopped at the one mile marker and came back down so it wasn't bad. so beautiful and serine I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's a beginning hiker or even an experienced one. The trails can get slightly narrow at points and the rocks are tough to walk on (especially in the wrong footwear

This was a really fun hike. I spent 2 nights at Kelly's Camp and an interesting snowy night the last night. This trail is really beautiful with lots of views.

This hike was perfect for the day we went. We ended up going right after a mild snow day, still some traffic but not heavy. It was absolutely beautiful. We didn’t make it to the top, we stopped at about 3.5 miles and turned back, I didn’t wear the right shoes for how slippery the ice was. Regardless, hiking in the snow was beautiful, temperature was mid 30s, making it perfect for a cloudless day hiking in the snow.

excellent trail running along a creek that changes monthly. lots of fallen trees and rock. so many great stops, including old cabin foundations.

although it's rated as difficult, the first few miles are pretty easy.

This can be a brutal hike for newbies, or part timers. I've been wanting to make it to the saddle for a while now but should have done some training first.
It took my grandson (12 yrs) and I about 6 hrs to make it to the top because I am so out of condition.
Going to do some training for a few months and go fo Cucamonga peak.
Overall a great hike and beautiful wilderness.

I love this hike! On one side of the trail is a crew & the other is a fan of trees shading the path. Dress for cooler temperatures. The top of the trail gets wet. Picnic benches.

2.4.18

Great hike! We hiked it Saturday, conditions were perfect, although windy at the saddle and definitely cool. Some water on the trail in the canyon but none on the switchbacks (but of course that was before the rain). We did not do the Chapman Trail loop, choosing instead to go up and down the Icehouse Canyon Trail. Not overly difficult if you regularly hike anywhere local. Beautiful views. Will definitely be back.

Great hike, started at sunrise, great decision because it got warm coming back down. We took the trail .9 miles further to Timber Mountain which gave us a total of 3600' elevation gain and 9 miles (my Fitbit said I went 12 miles). There is no view point on this hike but the trail the entire way is beautiful with lots of trees, rocks, abandoned cabins, stone fireplaces randomly in the forest, a stream and great scenery! Bring a lunch and lots of water, so many nice places to rest and picnic. Buy your Adventure pass day before at REI if you want to start before the ranger station opens, $4.99.

I have done this hike probably 60-80 times over the years. It is my "go to" training hike. This hike is good because you can easily add several extensions to various peaks if you need a greater or longer workout.

Great hike great view