Ice House Canyon Trail

Ice House Canyon Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Ice House Canyon is just under 8 miles long and located near Mt Baldy. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a full day. The Ice House Canyon is a popular day hike with a trail head just north of Mount Baldy Village. The trail is not to strenuous, but if you are hiking in the winter, snow and Ice is a factor. The saddle is the destination for most hikers and views of Mount Baldy and Ontario Peak can be seen. You will follow a stream for almost the first two miles of the hike. There are great little cabins along the way as well. The trail also leads to several other trail, good backpacking and even to Mount Baldy.

I did Chapman trail in an attempt to avoid ice, hoping to get to the Saddle. Too icy for me. I found a Cache does anybody know about these things??? I signed the register and stuck it back where I found it, Awesome hike, cant wait till ice is gone.

Patchy snow starting about a mile from the saddle. The last half mile all snow. Not icy, so footing was good. crampons not needed. Watch out if nighttime temps drop closer to freezing; it will be icy then.

still lots of snow near the saddle. recommend crampons at this point until the snow melts a bit.

Still a lot of snow at the area just close to the saddle. Recommend crampons until the snow melts.

Went up ice house canyon to the saddle and then from there to Timber mtn. Was around 3300 elevation gain and 9 miles. Snow on the trail pretty early on and a foot deep or more on way up to timber mtn. No trail to follow on last 1/4 mile so had to follow others footsteps. Used micro spikes starting about 1/2 mile from saddle on up and good part of way down. If you like hiking in the snow this is good time to go. Make sure your prepared. Lots of YouTube vids to help out.

loved this trail. So far my favorite in Mount Baldy!!!

10/24/16: We waited 30 minutes for the rain to stop then headed up toward the saddle via Chapman trail with plans to return Icehouse Canyon Trial. We started at 10:05 a.m. and finished around 2 p.m. The weather was nippy and the air wonderfully fresh! It was definitely fall, with all the beautiful colors! The Chapman trail can get narrow in spots(maybe 1' wide, but that don't last long). The narrow spots could be a problem for those fearful of heights. I feel it is safer to ascend the narrow portions than descend ( Up Chapman and down Icehouse). The fog got so bad that we decided to head down at the junction of Icehouse and Chapman rather than make it to the saddle. It was very windy and we could hardly see each other, and there would be no view. My Garmin GPS clocked it as 8.5 miles. I hike quite a bit, and I'm 64. I found the most difficult part to be the trail surface. There are some spots that are kind under foot and then it becomes rocky. I did not find it nearly as difficult as Mount Baldy (Ski hut trail- not Devil's Backbone). I definitely recommend boots with good tread, poles (they can save you from a nasty fall), plenty of snacks, water and perhaps an additional layer of clothing for the top when your sit to eat. Don't ever trust mountain weather this time of year...it can change quickly! I plan to go up again and try to make it to Cucamonga Peak before the snow flies! It is a beautiful hike.

Loved it! Beautiful all around!

This was a long but fun hike, lots of petrified wood and beautiful scenery. You start at 5000 feet and climb up. Proper hiking boots highly recommended!