Hurkey Creek Trail

Hurkey Creek Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mountain Center, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 633 feet Route Type: Out & Back

As of 5/3/19, it has been reported that this trail is closed due to fire damage.

Called today and this trail will be closed for at least 2 more years

Tue Aug 21 2018

Currently closed due to fire damage

Thu Mar 15 2018

Fantastic hike and easy with beautiful views

Wed Mar 07 2018

Fantastic hike with Onyx I will be comming back many more times

Fri Feb 02 2018

We were a group of 7 adults who hiked this trail Feb. 1st. They charge $6 per person to enter the park for day use, which was fine, we just weren't expecting it, so be sure to bring some cash to get in. It's a large campground with many camping spots, but the park was virtually empty the day we were there. The hikes go off the campground and into the mountains. It's a lovely area but the trails are very, very poorly marked and in many places not marked at all. The map they give you is not useful for the hike. We wandered off the trail a few times and were only saved by our All Trails app. Of the 3 cell phone service providers between us, only one of them got cell service in the area to access the app. The trail was a steady but very gradual incline up. We did not go to the end of the trail as we were encountering lots of deep ruts likely from recent rain. The trail was not wet, but the ruts were fairly deep in spots. We enjoyed our day and the scenery is really lovely. For the price to get in, they need to do a much better job marking the trails and then you wouldn't need an app, or map.

Fri Jan 12 2018

Beautiful day, after two days of rain. The sound of Hurley Creek bubbling over the rocks for the first 1/2 mile invited exploration. Not that I left the trail to walk across on rocks, or a felled tree bridge. Went about two miles up, then turned back. Paid $6 to park at Hurley Creek Campground. I was given a map that didn’t give much info of the trail. I felt it was well worth the money and time. Glad I treated myself.

Tue Nov 15 2016

I would call ahead. Nothing indicated trail was closed( including the forest service website) but after 3/4 mile up the trail it was closed. So our trip was very short. It was ok as far as the trail itself, easy, but mostly looking at semi-dead scrub the whole time.

Tue May 17 2016

Update! The 7 mile loop is OPEN! The front gate will hand you a map upon request. Starts out with a sufferfest mini rock garden climb but Totally WORTH It DUDE. will post a map here in the photos section. the meadows we went through was picturesque to say the least. Will come back soon.

Tue May 10 2016

Loved this trail! yes it's only a mile out and back but one year into Mountain Biking I can't complain really, technical climbing and descending for sure, I'm sure there's other trails here and I'm gonna find them! Coming back soon.

Mon Sep 28 2015

Camped with our 8yr old cub scouts and took short hike during down time. Couldnt find The official trail as it's marked on this app but found another path that followed near by. We entered between sites 97 & 98, and took the wash til we hit this path and followed north. The path veers around a barbed wire fence but joins back up. In 15 min we hit a little summit between large boulders at 0.6 miles from the campsites, then turned back due to time constraints. Boys loved it as did the parents. The trail still continued and more trails in area.

Sun Jul 12 2015

Fun easy hike . We ended up doing about 5 miles all uphill for the first 2.5 then we turned back because we lost any shade and it was over 85 degrees But relatively easy. Sad that there was a fire so a lot of great hiking trails are closed

Wed Nov 02 2011

Fun easy hike, went out with the kids, they had a great time.

Sat Oct 20 2018