Rancheria Falls Trail

Rancheria Falls Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Shaver Lake, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 649 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The first right about 1 mile after the China Peak Ski Resort (previously known as Sierra Summit). If you pass the Kokanee Work Camp, you have gone too far. Once you turn around, the trail sign is visible and hides the 8S31 road sign. It's about 1.3mi on a dirt road that ends with parking and a restroom.

Easy hike, good pay off. Went in October so the waterfall wasn’t roaring but was still there. Lots of stuff to climb on when you get to the waterfall, just be cautious. We ran into a couple coming down on our way up, but other than that we had the place to ourselves. Bathroom was locked, just FYI.

Went yesterday, I was the only person there.the waterfall was icy, it was stunning

Amazingly beautiful. I have been hiking this trail since I was 3. Absolutely a must if your at Huntington Lake. Gentle climb that most can do.

The first mile+ is from where the road ends soon after you turn into Rancheria Falls from Tollbouse Rd (168). That’s the moderate part of the trail. After that, it’s a nice walk on a well maintained short trail to the waterfall. It was nice and cool and you could hear the waterfall before you could see it. Nature sounds are so exciting to me! And there were still ice and this is early October! 4.6 miles total. Kid friendly especially if you park at the trailhead where the actual parking lot is, then you cut your trail by 2 miles.

Accidentally parked at the entrance off the road and not the trailhead but glad I did because it’s a short hike otherwise. Lots of water, very pretty. Once saw two other people.

Great Hike, went with my wife the first time 2nd time I came by myself' super easy went a lil off trail down the rocks it was so peaceful!

Great hike. Parked at the bottom of the 168 access road and hiked up for added cardio. Lots of bees at this time of year. Quiet morning. Started to get busy as we hiked back down.

Short but well maintained trail. Lot’s of shade. Waterfalls are still cascading big this time of year. Beautiful views of Kaiser pass. Only saw 2 people with 2 dogs. Great for those physically challenged. Ride in to the trailhead for best experience. Con - Bees!

Easy walk to waterfalls but not a lot of room if it’s crowded. We got to the parking lot at 9:30 and we’re the first ones there so got to enjoy it with no crowds. By the time we left there were about a dozen cars but still not bad. It’s less than 2 miles if you start at the parking lot but the road is a little rough by car for the first 500 feet or so. If you choose to walk from 168 there’s no shade for the first mile. All in all an enjoyable hike but too short if that’s all you plan to do.

Great trail for families. We went in morning so it was pretty shaded and cool. A small incline but a great reward to see the falls. My 6 year old loved it. My only advice is to use restroom before you leave home or stop at public restrooms in Shaver since the restrooms at trail are the typical ones you find at trailheads.

Really pretty waterfall. Super easy hike. you can even make it a 2 mile hike by starting at the parking lot up the unpaved road. Only 4 stars because I didn't feel like I had gone on a hike afterwards.

Very easy walk to amazing waterfalls!! Took my 74 yr old mom and her dog, great day for all of us!

Great trail. Easy hike and dog friendly.

Great trail and right now the waterfall is beautiful. Easy and quick hike if you drive up the Rancheria Falls trail road (directly from the 168), just be mindful of the potholes and dips in the road. On 7/31/19 there was ton of roadwork and stops on the 168 to get there, so allocate time if needed.

Excellent trail and easy walk to the falls which are still running strong! Wildflowers and butterflies along the way. Great way to beat the heat! Even early afternoon on a HOT Friday in the Valley was pleasant, and uncrowded. Take a lunch and enjoy the natural AC near the falls. My little civic made it up the dirt road with no problem, just need to be aware, drive slow and weave some to avoid potholes. We put on bug spray, but mosquitoes seemed absent. On the way back, we took the Huntington Lake Road through Lakeshore along the lake and dropped down behind the dam to Big Creek. WOW, SUCH AN AMAZING VIEW down the canyon to the Valley. It's a small, well paved curvy 1st gear road 2000+ feet down the canyon. A fun drive with many vistas on "the edge of eternity." The hydroelectric plant was running at full capacity and the power lines were "sizzling" as we drove by back up to Shaver.

Easy to walk, dog friendly , the waterfall is beautiful! Get there early since the parking lot is small, also suggest a high clearance vehicle- the road needs some work.

07.04.19 Short hike!!!! Easy trail. Get there early if u dont want to deal with the crowd. Waterfalls was so much water. Amazing!

For how short this trail is I didn’t expect to see so much. The waterfall was in full flow when I saw it in June. You will get wet if you follow the trail to the end. When I was there a friendly marmot was around do I think someone has been feeding it. A very enjoyable hike and very forgiving to most skill levels.

Beautiful peaceful trail, a lot of people. If you prefer solitude, go there after 3 pm

Fantastic short trip. Road up to the trailhead is in good condition. Don't be fooled by the few cars parked down by the sign.

Easy hike from the main road, or drive in for a much closer start. Beautiful wooded trail opening up to an epic water fall. There is plenty of snowmelt!!

Took my 5 year old daughter and we had a great time! Trail was easy (a few fallen trees to step over) the view was amazing and the water fall was roaring!

A group of 10 moms/friends (ages 30’s-60’s) hiked this from the road (not the parking lot) and it was great conditions other than a few trees fallen over the trail (you can climb over them)... the falls were gorgeous and the mist felt amazing! Beautiful weather made it a perfect day hike!

We took our 13 year old daughter up for some quality time and really enjoyed the waterfall and the scenery in the way up. The water was pumping! Great way to spend a few hours.

Waterfall is huge right now! Went up here on 6/14 and thoroughly enjoyed the mist at the top. The first mile of the trail is essentially a 4x4 road (was gated when we went up, open when we came down) that terminates 1 mile up in a paved parking lot with a closed bathroom. From the parking lot, it's about another mile to the falls. Many downed trees on the 4x4 road, so likely not passable with a car. Much nicer to wander up on foot! No snow on the trail, but some snow off trail.

the water is... fast. wow! incredible! 6-10-19

Went 6/2/19, last third of the trail was SNOWY. Most people we saw skipped the last ten yards of trail. Went 6/9/19, minimal snow. Easily traversed entire trail in about 2.5 hours with a four and six year old. Falls were on the wet side! Bring Clorox wipes and your own tp for the bathroom though!!!

pretty easy, still snow on ground. gate locked, so you park by 168 and walk in.

Easy hike! We didn't expect that there'd be snow still on the trail. But the view was great!