Hunters Trail is a 12.9 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Foresthill, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.9 km Elevation Gain: 314 m Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Georgetown,: Travel 15 miles east on Wentworth Springs Road, turn north on Eleven Pines Road. Continue 5 miles to the Rubicon River.

Arrived Friday noon for Memorial Day weekend, we were the only ones there. Hiked just under two miles where we camped across from the South Fork. Water was cold but the dogs loved it. Next day we did a morning explore, continuing up the trail about another 1.5 miles to the end of the brushwork the previous reviewer participated in. We could find no signs of the trail beyond this point. I have a great appreciation for the work their team did to uncover a trail that was easy to follow, although the numerous downed trees made the last mile very tiring. If you enjoy climbing over, under, and around blackened logs this is the trail for you. The first two miles are quite good, other than a few large downed trees that involved some work to cross, the last one just at the junction to the spur trail going down toward the South Fork. Lots of brush in the face that was easily pushed away with our hiking sticks, but the trail was mostly clear and good walking. Beautiful views up and down the steep gorge with the sound of the rushing water below made the effort worth it for me. That, and watching the fun the dogs had cooling down at the various small streams we crossed. After the South Fork spur, the amount of downed trees and branches increased the further we went. If you are not sure footed it could be easy to turn an ankle in this last stretch. But it was clear of brush, other than this spring's new growth, and little to no poison oak. It is going to take a long time for this area to recover from the Kings fire. Almost all the pines are dead, and any new trees will be slow to grow tall enough to shade out the underbrush. I appreciate the efforts of those who love our trails enough to do battle with the brush and falling dead trees, but I definitely wouldn't be coming here on a hot, sunny summer day. It was a great, quiet option for a short Memorial Day weekend backpacking trip with the dogs, however.

Just finished an 8 day work week on the Hunters Trail. My crew members and I logged out and brushed roughly the first four miles, which are now much more enjoyable. The rest; goodluck. The rest is very rustic and virtually no trail exists. Bring a machete and get after it!

Tue Aug 16 2016

My 6 friends and I had a great idea to hike the 10 mile Hunter trail up to hellhole reservoir. From there we are going to trek to upper hellhole which is an extra 4 miles. I had a deadline at work so I had to miss the first day of hiking so one friends and I drove straight to the reservoir. My 5 friends who were on the hunter trail tried to make it, but after 2 miles the trail disappeared. There was a big fire in 2014 and it destroyed the trail. Burnt trees, fallen trees everywhere and new brush over growing the whole area. No shade, there is a river for some of it until you have to go over a mountain for the last 2 miles. My friend and I went to upper hellhole the next day thinking they might be there. They were not. We finally got a beep on our radio from them and they just arrived at the reservoir at 6 the next day. My friend and I hiked through the night back to the reservoir. Surprised the 5 boys and restored some moral. The trail to upper hell hole is okay. Definitely do able, very rocky and unsteady, but worth it. Just don't do the Hunters trail! Unless you want to make it for future hikers that would be great. Summary, after the pools in the rubicon there is no hunters trail to hellhole.

Mon Aug 15 2016

This trail hasn't been maintained since the 2014 King Fire. The first 2 miles are decently maintained and then it gradually gets turned into nothingness. We spent 2 full days attempting to navigate and GPS locate the trail to no avail. Ended up bush wacking through endless backcountry and up 1.5 miles over a hill with zero trail or signage. Absolutely do not recommend.

Wed Mar 19 2014

Well maintained for being so far out in the back country. Hell Hole Reservoir has some beautiful views. Steep up and back trail.

Mon May 07 2012

This is a beautiful 10 mile riparian trail (up to 20-miles out and back). The trail is very well maintained and open to hikers, equestrians, and mountain bikers. I graded this trail as "easy" due to it's very good condition and very little elevation gain. The only exception is the final 1.5 miles on the eastern trail end which climbs up to a road that borders the Hell Hole Reservoir. Here, the trail condition drops slightly. The remainder of the trail is easy as it stays relatively level and follows the beautiful Rubicon River. Even though this riparian trail stays below 4500', I was surprised to see absolutely no poison oak. There are short side trails down to the river. This trail is very similar to the beautiful South Yuba Trail, but without the poison oak.

Sun May 06 2012