I’ve gone backpacking to the primitive site several times over the past seven years.
I did this trail most recently as just a day hike. It took me and my boyfriend a couple hours and we had an amazing time. The humbug falls looked great and I can’t wait to go back when it gets warmer and stay the night!
There is a picnic area right before you reach the primitive campground where you can enjoy a quick bite to eat. The view is pretty amazing!
There are wild flowers and moss and lots of shade.
Do not go off the trail ever. There is a lot of poison oak.
Bring lots of water, unless you are planning on going down to the river.
There is a small area about two miles from the trailhead, where I could see myself having difficulty getting up and down if I was backpacking alone.
Over the past few years, they trail has been really revamped and there are a lot of improvements that you may not have seen if you haven’t been back in a while.
GETTING THERE:
Do not try and use your GPS. Follow the directions listed on the Malacoff Diggins website to get to the town.
If you use your GPS, you will have to go down an unpaved road for seven miles and it’s very confusing.
If you go in the spring of summer bring lots and lots of bug spray. This trail has lots of shade so sunscreen is advised, but you will probably survive. Bring bug spray!