Humbug Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Alleghany, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,171 feet Route Type: Out & Back

California Travel and Tourism Commision, P.O. Box 1499 , Sacramento, CA, 95812-1499, Phone: 800-862-2543

Beautiful trail, there is great camping right next to the Yuba river. Only 3 miles one way. When parking your car I recommend leaving it at the town center and hiking to the 1.5 miles to the trail head, people have been known to drill into gas tanks to get gas!

My husband and I took this trail a few days ago. We were impressed by how well the trail was marked and maintained, although there were segments so narrow that the downhill side had lose footing. The trails goes up and down alongside the mountain, making the elevation gain almost unnoticeable- that’s probably why it is graded “moderate”. We actually consider the trail on the hard side due to places that require certain level of fitness to navigate. On the way out toward the lake, we encountered a hissing rattle snake hanging on the rock to the side of the bridge. We used a branch to throw it off the bridge - it slithered away into its hole under the bridge, so be warned and stay vigilant around the bridge after the fall-viewing bridge. On the way back, we almost ran into a mother bear and two cubs. The mother dashed behind the tree while the cubs jumped up the tree. We saw no other hikers on the trail and had river completely to us alone. The trail is hard to get to but it’s completely worth the drive.

I like butts

The last few miles of the drive will be rough if you have a smaller car. The trail is very shaded besides a small section. The hike back was an uphill battle.

Nice outing. Hiked 5/5/19 and there were a few flowers blooming. Checked out the little historical town of humbug before hitting the trail. Decent amount of bugs and trail can get narrow so be sure to avoid poison oak. Overall nice hike with pleasant sound of running water most of the trail. Would rate easy on the way down and moderate on the way back. Watch for rattlers down by the river. Will definitely do this hike again.

Suuuuuch amazing views of the river!! Poison oak everywhere, but well worth the risk!! We didn’t get any by being aware of our surroundings. A few sketchy spots to cross, but nothin on it. Once you get to the river there’s a kewl rock to sit on and watch the river go by. Also a few picnic benches to lunch at. Loved this hike!!

Beautiful hike with an amazing waterfall midway through. Very few bugs when we went.

Phone read 5.36m in 1:42:16 with 881ft elevation gain. Spent at least 20 minutes playing in water at the bottom which was of course freezing but beautiful. One of the most scenic hikes I’ve done. Good bit of it was off camber and trail was happy to wash out under your outside foot. Reverse hike so keep in mind the hard part is getting back to the car. Was supposed to pay to park. Didn’t.

I hiked down this trail as part of a 12 mile loop. Beautiful hike, spectacular, roaring falls. A bit stressful(for me) on some narrow, slippery parts. No ticks or mosquitoes or gnats. I went through from 9-- 10:30....Later in the day, on different trails I did see a couple ticks that I brushed off.

Very scenic trail. Lots of inclines and descents which made for a good workout.

Went in early December after rain and as expected the trail was a little snowy and slick. Probably best to go a little earlier in the fall than we did, but at least bugs and poison oak weren’t an issue. Saw lots of deer and really enjoyed all of the scenery. Beautiful views of the river and falls throughout! We also didn’t see anyone else on the trail the whole 3-4 hours we hiked. We hiked this down to the river and continued on the South Yuba trail for awhile, totaling about 7 miles. Would definitely recommend

Friday, October 19, 2018

This trail is awesome! Not sure why it says 4.8miles. It is actually 6 miles or so. Some of the inclines and declines especially toward the end are steeper. However, the falls and Yuba river are amazing sights. We are definitely coming back when it warms up. There are some pretty sweet pools going down the falls. We came in through Washington dirt road side(some rough areas; unmaintained) it’s about 12-13miles or so. It says to pay but the museum was closed and the town is only about 8 people. We carried on with no problems.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Echoing what others wrote - it's completely stunning, nicely shady trail, picturesque with the creek/river running next to you. A couple tricky spots along the trail - I would rate it more like advanced-moderate, especially if backpacking. But super quiet - we only saw one other couple during our two days out there. It was very buggy and lots of poison oak. We saw a rattlesnake near the river. There are active bears in the area. The park doesn't clearly communicate this, but they advise to bring a bear canister if you're backpacking. So, it felt a little treacherous at times, but it is the wilderness and we're visiting their land/home! And it was totally worth the private swimming hole at the end! Getting there, google maps isn't the best. The park's website has a suggested route if you want paved roads getting there. We followed that and it was super easy, and the roads are newly paved!

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Super pretty trail all the way down to the river. It's shaded with lots of greenery. There are some pretty difficult parts of this trail. Rock scrambling and some very narrow parts with steep drops. I suggest you be in pretty good shape for the climb back up. Bring a backpack with water, food, and salt tabs. The drive there was pretty confusing. We clicked on the directions button and followed that. Windy narrow road that turns to rough dirt road after crossing the river. Continue up for about 7 miles. If you are following GPS, it will show you have arrived before you actually have arrived at the trailhead. Keep driving and you will see the humbug trail sign and a small turnout to park. On the way out, we drove the other direction through North Broomfield. Follow the paved road and it takes you back to 49. It's a longer drive, but better than the dirt.

Wednesday, May 09, 2018

awesome trail. lots of flowers blooming and hardly anyone on the trail. cool views of the water leading up to the yuba river. a few steep hills but nothing extreme.

Monday, February 12, 2018

I’ve gone backpacking to the primitive site several times over the past seven years. I did this trail most recently as just a day hike. It took me and my boyfriend a couple hours and we had an amazing time. The humbug falls looked great and I can’t wait to go back when it gets warmer and stay the night! There is a picnic area right before you reach the primitive campground where you can enjoy a quick bite to eat. The view is pretty amazing! There are wild flowers and moss and lots of shade. Do not go off the trail ever. There is a lot of poison oak. Bring lots of water, unless you are planning on going down to the river. There is a small area about two miles from the trailhead, where I could see myself having difficulty getting up and down if I was backpacking alone. Over the past few years, they trail has been really revamped and there are a lot of improvements that you may not have seen if you haven’t been back in a while. GETTING THERE: Do not try and use your GPS. Follow the directions listed on the Malacoff Diggins website to get to the town. If you use your GPS, you will have to go down an unpaved road for seven miles and it’s very confusing. If you go in the spring of summer bring lots and lots of bug spray. This trail has lots of shade so sunscreen is advised, but you will probably survive. Bring bug spray!

Monday, January 29, 2018

This is my favorite hike in the area. Beautiful walk through forrest alongside a lush creek with a stunning waterfall. The trail terminates at the South Yuba trail, at which point you can simply enjoy the river view, or continue hiking. Enough hills to provide a workout, but not grueling.

Saturday, January 27, 2018

found this tail a couple years ago with my son going for an overnight camping trip. we had no expectations or ideas about it. it has a few steep areas, thought it was harder hiking in then out. After the first big hill you're hiking along side a creek with multiple waterfalls that eventually ems at the Yuba river. it's a lightly hiked trail, we saw less then 10 people hike it. most purple hiked or biked in from the old campsite. it was a challenging hike but we'll worth it

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Beautiful trail along creek, fun for me and my 7 year old son. Would be good for horses up to the falls, then narrow bridge and rock ledge would treacherous to cross and continue to Yuba River.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

About 6 miles like the other reviews say but totally worth the hike once you get to the river! Beautiful View of Yuba river,and the water is so refreshing and amazing. Uphill almost the whole way back. Of course, bring LOTS of water and look out for the poison oak. We parked across the road from the trail head, but getting there was lots of fun. It takes you on this dirt road, we kept driving and ran into this old mining town. It was a cool spot where they hosted a lot of family fun activities. Love everything about this area!

Sunday, August 27, 2017

As others have mentioned, it's about 6 miles r/t. Beautiful hike, very scenic and shady the entire time. This is rated as moderate, which I agree with, but any more climbing and it would be hard imo. And yes, don't forget your bug spray, had to spit at least 3 of them out of my mouth on the way back!

Monday, August 21, 2017

Incredible hike! The scenery will not disappoint. Easy on the way in, a little steep on the way back. Some areas get pretty narrow and steep so watch your step; one fall in some areas and you're toast. Bring bug spray! There are a lot of pockets of still water at the start of the trail which means lots of mosquitos. I used insect repellent and was getting swarmed still. Patches of poison oak here and there but it's avoidable. Perfect for a day hike. Driving there was a bit hard, very windy roads and a few miles of very rough dirt road. Very worth it though!

Monday, June 12, 2017

Lovely trail. Clocks at about 6.5 miles though, not 4.9. Some tricky, skinny and slippery rock ledges/scrambles to manage - harder because it was raining. This trail is shady and quiet, rich with waterfall and cascading creek views. This trail is a "no dogs allowed" trail (clearly marked), but for some reason there is always someone who feels this doesn't apply to them (for the reviewer who says they are not sure why there is a sign - it's because them's the rules and you're breaking them!)

Monday, May 08, 2017

Awesome trail along the river. nice picnic area​ at the end. watch for poison oak!

Sunday, April 05, 2015

great hike if you're not afraid of drop offs. beautiful waterfall along the way. great climb. lots and lots of poison oak so be aware! river destination is great! in November there were millions of lady bugs. there are couple rock sections on trail to be solid footed, not bad though if you're a hiker. have done it several times, with my dog too so I'm not sure why there is a sign!