Huckleberry Nature Path Trail

Huckleberry Nature Path Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Oakland, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 495 feet Route Type: Loop

A short loop option that explores the beauty of the botanic regional preserve. Start from the Skyline Blvd staging area and loop around on the Huckleberry trail.

Dog friendly with few elevation. No shade on bay bridge trail.

I would recommend this trail to folks who are able to walk down narrow, bush-infringing paths. I see why folks call it magical; it’s like stepping into the secret garden. But, for anyone anxious about ticks, wear long sleeve shirts and high socks; branches and trees lean closely over the trail. The signage was wonderful. The views peaking behind the brush of the east bay hills are incredible. It’s also steep at times, so again watch where you step!

Great way to get out of the city! Magical trail. Highly recommend!

Feels magical. Pretty easy hike with great scenery and information on the plants on the trail. Plenty of benches to stop and watch the wind or for a nice picnic.

The trail was so beautiful. There were some nice views every so often, and we saw a deer, and a quail family run across the trail. Very cool. If you start on the upper, on the way back you do have to climb a bit back up, and there are stairs so be ready.

The new signs that describe the flora are a big improvement. For most of the trail you need to walk single file. We arrived at 7:30 am on a Saturday and there was plenty of parking.

Beautiful, mostly shady path. Mostly narrow - plan to walk in a row. If you continue straight at the first branch instead of going down the trail to the left, you'll have a fairly easy and level hike. Once you reach the option for the Skyline trail, the trail becomes more rugged - it drops down into a valley and then climbs back out. It's absolutely a gorgeous area, I highly recommend it. And keep your eyes open - there are some amazing things to see.

Beautiful hike. It is mostly shady and narrow, if that matters. I've been here on July and sadly much of the plants/flowers were gone. Maybe it's a better hike from January to March. I've seen 3 running deers crossing my path from few feet away. The altitude is regular and I didn't experience any fatigue. Do not expect much panorama or city landscapes, not much vista points in this sense. You will find beautiful trees and, depending on the season, flowers and plants.

very green. some fallen trees in path but easy to go around

This is a trail for all seasons in the Bay Area. The trail has well drained trails good for winter, lots of shade for summer and Huckleberries for the sampling if you time it right in the summer. I feel like I’m in Oregon with all the ferns. I usually combine it with a hike our to Redwood Park to add some miles. Beautiful view of Mt Diablo from one of the numbered lookouts.

This is a very easy trail for beginner hikers. It’s somewhat short, beautiful views, unfortunately it’s not too secluded so there were quite a bit of hikers when we went.

one of the most beautiful trails in the bay area.

First time on this trail. Good views and shady. Pretty ferns and other plants. We are getting back into hiking and we would disagree with the “Easy” label and comments. Guess it all depends on your definition. We will definitely do it again as we really enjoyed it.

well marked, some ticks here and there with possible poison ivy

Whoa, how did I miss this hike? I've hiked all through the Oakland/Orinda/Lafayette hills but missed this trail somehow. So happy to find it as it's a gem. Lots of poison oak so be prepared to dodge it or wear pants. You're under canopy most of the time on this trail. A great one to take a friend on, too.

Bare legs not advised. As with many Bay Area trails this year, the poison oak is thriving along the trail edges. Nevertheless, this is a very pleasant trail with many opportunities to learn about native plants. I enjoyed it so much I hiked it again the next day.

Reasonable loop; not terribly trafficked so you can listen to yourself think, the birds sing, etc. pretty overlooks over the hills, and ample shade so if it’s a warm day, its a great choice. Narrow trail, so wouldn’t suggest coming with a large group unless you’re good walking all in a line.

Somewhere between easy and moderate. Did this hike in April so it’s lush and wet. I loved the views. Lots of mossy green tree and running creeks. This would be good for kids ages 5+ that don’t mind. A little uphill climbing. I did it with my 18 year old. It’s was a little too easy but still nice to get out into nature. It’s very peaceful and not busy. I also like that there aren’t any bikes or horses. It’s strictly hiking. FYI- No dogs allowed on parts of the trails.

Nature

Amazing views and shade.

This was a great, easy trail. Nice scenery, wonderful aromas, not very crowded. Went in January on a holiday weekend. It was about 10 degrees cooler than downtown Oakland so make sure to bring an extra layer as it’s a higher elevation and very wooded. The parking lot is open again.

Be advised - the parking lot is temporarily closed for renovations.

great easy hike through fern and moss filled woods

A great little trail for canyon views. The trail narrows in some places. Picnic tables at the trail head + restrooms. Limited parking. About 1 -1.5 hour depending on your speed and viewing activity.

Monday, October 15, 2018

Really cute trail, narrow in places since you're walled in by forest either side. Shaded and pretty. Excellent for families - our kids loved reading every sign! Quite a bit of poison oak on the lower trail, with some extending over into the path so be aware if you're as allergic as I am!

Monday, October 15, 2018

Great little hike

Sunday, October 14, 2018

We loved the information plaques. One unidentifiable junction, but otherwise well sign posted and maintained. Family of five, blown away by the bay leaf forest. Great trail for kids.