Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Huckleberry Nature Path Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(484)
Huckleberry Botanic Preserve

Huckleberry Nature Path Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Oakland, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 439 feet Route Type: Loop

A short loop option that explores the beauty of the botanic regional preserve. Start from the Skyline Blvd staging area and loop around on the Huckleberry trail.

We went on a weekend and it was pretty crowded. That aside this was a pretty walk- unusual for the area in terms of how cool and almost humid it was from all the trees and ferns. Nice on a hot day. The plants were nicely labeled with interesting facts.

Easy loop wirh some incline to keep it interesting. Mostly tree covered but open space wirh views of the valley. Not too crowded, some runners, parking lot currently open!

Easy and flat, lots of shade. Cool flora, little fauna

This might be my new local favorite! I have been running trails that connect with this for years but never quite made it. I hiked it with my 10 and 13 year old mid afternoon. It wasn’t too crowded but it’s single track so physical distancing is tricky, but we managed. Everyone was respectful. I loved all the manzanita. I took the right path of the loop at the beginning which I like and would do again. It makes the decent into the canyon more gradual and the climb out is with stairs. Lots of ways to make it a little longer. I took a little offshoot to a lovely vista.

absolute magic

COVID hike on 2020-05-3. Easy enough hike for the family. Staging area holds about 12 cars and another 5-6 on the street nearby. Bathrooms at trailhead were closed. Fewer people here today than many of the other staging areas for Redwood along Skyline Blvd. Hike was shaded most of the way, and very lush with lots of California Bay and Manzanita trees. Trail is narrow in many places but the trail is in very good shape. Steep in places, but stairs are well placed and maintained.

Pretty trail but too many spider webs you won’t notice them unless you take your shades off . I’m scared of spiders so I left

the most Beautiful hike I have done. it was very easy and short but I felt like a Hobbit !

The trail was great and is easy enough for kids but it can be pretty narrow with steep drop offs so watch your step! About half way through the loop there is a old abandoned car off the trail up a small hill that is easily walked up. Check it out!

This hike was alright. The path is very narrow and there is a lot of flying little insects. I don’t think I’ll be doing it again.

Cannot believe I had never hiked here ! Guess I am usually looking for longer or harder hikes but this was a true delight for a short hike that doesn’t require a long drive. I really enjoyed the plant info, the views and the many blossoms and wildflowers, not to mention all the birds. Saw very few folks today but amid Covid-19 situation but will definitely be back to show friends this little gem.

This is my favorite quick hike to do. I park at the top of Shepherd Canyon and do the lower trail to the staging area and the the upper trail back. Just enough elevation change and length for a on-the-way-home hike. Can get muddy after rain.

Amazing hike with a six year old so definitely doable. This is part of the Trail Trekker bike for Cub Scouts. Take the time out on placard 15 (bench and great outlook) and placard 11 if you want to pretend to be inside a “cave.”

Easy trail. If you go upper and then lower you’ll get a nice 300 ft change in elevation in about a fifth of a mile at the end. Beautifully shaded trail. A lot of runners with steep drop offs at sections.

easy trail with fun educational signs about the plants you see along the hike. great for kids 4+

Good trail !!!

Cold day but beautiful hike!

So beautiful! The end was a bit steeper than we expected for an “easy” hike but nothing we couldn’t manage.

Beautiful hike and nature.

Beautiful! After walking to the right from the parking lot, go counterclockwise at the next intersection for a gradual decline with steep bit at the end.

A little muddy, but it’s winter! This is a fantastic hike with beautiful scenery and trail itself. The plaques along the path allow for stops and learning. The steady incline the last bit of the hike raises the heart rate to finish on a high note. This is a new favorite and we will definitely be back.

Decent little hike. It’s not very long, so we did extra connector at the end to stretch it out. Gets a little incline at the end to break a sweat, but nothing crazy. Almost all in the shade. Very relaxing hike

Nice family hike!