Huckleberry Nature Path Trail

Huckleberry Nature Path Trail is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Canyon, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

A short loop option that explores the beauty of the botanic regional preserve. Start from the Skyline Blvd staging area and loop around on the Huckleberry trail.

Beautiful trail with tons of shade and varied plant species. There are interesting, informative markers along the trail with some bonus offshoots. I wish I had worn long pants and sleeves... while the poison oak was off to the sides I spent some time avoiding it. There is a steady incline hike back to the parking lot with stairs built in for the steeper sections. This will be a hike I take visitors on! Not too difficult, and very pretty! And, if you need a flat hike you can go in/out on the upper trail. Just as pretty!

As of May 28, 2018, the trail is no longer covered in poison oak as Mr. Wolf warned in his April 12th review. I did find a tick on my clothing during the hike, so be careful to check for them after your hike. It was a very enjoyable shaded hike on a hot, sunny day.

BEFORE YOU GO ON THIS HIKE: The trail as of April 12th 2018 is covered in poison oak. At two places in the loop is cannot be avoided. Gorgeous trail, but is exceedingly narrow and overgrown, so if if you have a rash phobia, like me, you might prefer a more wide hiking choice.

Good for beginners! Steep parts for the good burn which ever way you decide to start. Path does fork a lot and connects with other trails so we had to use the trail map to stay in loop. It gets narrow in some spots, luckily there were many places to pull to side. Went on a Sunday at 9am for our first time and didn’t see very many folks on trail until we got back to car around 10:30. Large herbalist group had just arrived and we barely squeezed our way out of there. We plan to come back the next weekend.

Awesome plant life, and Banana Slugs.

Trail is narrow at times which can be problematic if you don’t like heights. Overall very nice and not too difficult. Incline at the end will get you breathing hard!

Nice variety of flora and fauna, great long views.

easy hike, very green, shady in most parts. great panoramic view that you can see all the way to the bay

Covered, narrow, peaceful and fairly gentle.

This is a relatively easy and short hike, but what I love about it is it is cool during the summer and has a nice variety of plants like Manzanita and Huckleberry, and many wildflowers in the spring.

Great short hike easily accessible to Oakland. There at a few hills so you can still get a bit of a good workout in.

Not as easy as expected and wondered if we would make it. We did and grateful for the experience.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Lovely and easy hike. Very shaded and flat. The path is narrow so be mindful where you step. There is a gap in the trail on the lower huckleberry path, but it's not difficult to get over. If you go counter clockwise, the last quarter mile is somewhat steep and gets the blood pumping. Great way to finish!

Friday, May 05, 2017

Gorgeous. Ferns and creeks.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

narrow all around. green canopy all overhead. very enjoyable. moderate climbs.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Friday, September 16, 2016

Nice little short and easy hike almost completely in the shade. If you want to do longer hikes there are good connectors on both ends. Can be combined quite nicely with Redwood or Sibley. And huckleberries are pretty tasty...

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Quite narrow, mostly shaded, not many spots for views, no views that impressive. Took the baby in the stroller, that was tough, won't do that again. Trail is really only wide enough for 1 person.

Monday, August 08, 2016

This trail was narrow, secluded and shaded in the woods. Hiking it during the weekdays would be less crowded.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Narrow paths, sometimes a little daunting where it's open to the downward side or where the path is slick. Wished I'd had on better shoes or a walking stick. Wider paths if you detour down toward lower Pinehurst, but then a nice uphill back. Mostly shady, but the seating area at marker 6 that some have mentioned is not (view instead). About dogs, pamphlet says not permitted in Huckleberry except if passing though on the Skyline National Trail; did see 4 dogs on the lower path today.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Narrow in parts. Bring good shoes.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Great for a hot day with lots of shade. The perfect birthday hike; even with the trail renovations! Only thing is; the trail says no dogs allowed but on All Trails it says they are.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Wonderful!

Monday, May 23, 2016

Neat trail when it's hot out, forest smells, flora and fauna

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Nice trail, small enough so not to many people were on it, but there is a nice sitting area at marker 6 I would recommend anyone to visit.

Monday, February 22, 2016

It was a very nice trail of ur looking for a real fast hike. I went on it to tire my 4 month old puppy out. But there is a nice spot at marker 6 to do a little reading and I'm forsure gunna visit again

Friday, January 01, 2016

First off, this path is a "nature trail" which means there are numbered plants and trees along the way that you can learn about! There should be pamphlets by the entrance. That made the trail like a scavenger hunt to me. The trail itself is really nice. There's pretty views of the hills but you can't see the Bay from here. It's mostly shaded and there are lots of small trails that you can fork off to. The only thing that got me is that some parts of the trail are SO narrow that I was getting vertigo and hoping that I didn't fall off the side of the hill..

Sunday, December 06, 2015

Very pretty, small, fun trail. Went when raining and everything was very lush.

Thursday, August 14, 2014

This was a cool trail and it completes with a loop around the reserve instead of having to backtrack from a dead end stop

Monday, May 05, 2014

Pretty relaxing hike, and shaded most of the way. No great views, but nice to be in the forest. The trail is pretty narrow most of the way, which is only an issue because there is ample poison oak off trail. Just watch where you step.

I was able to push/carry my 1-year old in his stroller around the loop. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. We have a robust 3-wheel stroller with big wheels and there where times he was being bumped around going over rocks and tree roots, but he loves that sort of thing. There were plenty of times as well where I needed to pick up the stroller to get up some areas.