Hotel Creek Trail to Cedar Grove Overlook

Hotel Creek Trail to Cedar Grove Overlook is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cedar Grove, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from May until November.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,614 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I had the mileage for this out and back hike at 4.8. The trail is mostly a series of narrow switchbacks leading to the Cedar Grove Overlook. When we did the hike the temp. was in the mid 70's. The trail was mostly in the sun and was dusty. Bring a lot of water and watch out for bees during the last 1/4 mile of the hike. The overlook views are worth the effort.

We went in mid August and even though we began the hike in the morning it still became brutally hot once we left the shaded part of the hike (which is only in the very beginning). The trail is clearly marked and the bugs weren’t too bad so that was great. We saw a couple of deer at the top of the trail but there were no signs of other animals besides the usual bugs, squirrels and lizards. The hike in it itself isn’t that amazing until the last 0.5 mile but the overlook makes it all worth it. Besides the spectacular view, we didn’t bump into a single hiker so I think for the most part you’re completely alone which is a definite pro for me. If I went again I would go in spring or early fall where the temperatures will be more bearable. Yes the trail can be a little steep but honestly it was the heat that bothered us the most, however, it’s worth noting that the trail is more like 5 miles out and back. But other than that, nothing worth having comes easy, just remember water.

Wow, loved hiking this trail! It’s actually 5 miles round trip and a 1,200 foot elevation gain, but a moderately difficult hike indeed. It’s starts off at a moderate incline through the cedar tree meadows and then works its’ way up with several switchbacks to the stop. Several bugs on the first half mile or so through the meadows so bring bug spray! They start to thin out as you get higher up on the mountain. It’s about 35% shaded. I went in early October and there was a nice breeze, so I stayed nice and cool. Lots of wildlife! I saw deer, lizards, marmots, and birds. A few spots of greenery at the top during the fall. The view at be top is amazing! You’ll see the mountains and all of the Cedar Groves! Going back down can be slippery due to the sand, so wear sturdy shoes and watch your step. Also a ton of fallen trees you’ll have to climb over. Otherwise, a gorgeous hike!

Awesome hike and the view is well worth the effort!!

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Like others have said, it is a hot, sunny, steep hike, but the view at the overlook makes it worth it. After I got to the overlook I decided to do the whole loop by connecting with the Lewis trail and then back. It was challenging but good if you're up for the distance! I only saw two other hikers the whole time. The eight mile loop took me three hours to complete.

Thursday, July 26, 2018

This is a very steep and very hot hike, but it gets you right on the ridge of the canyon for one of the best overlooks in the area! It's not very long so should only take a few hours, but is definitely a MODERATE hike, not an easy one! It's extremely steep and is essentially steep switchbacks the entire way up!

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

A great, short day hike that is too many visitors miss out on. Perhaps it is so lightly trekked due to its steepness. Despite the rating here, this trail is NOT easy. It's short, but very steep and strenuous, rising 1500 feet over 2 miles of switchbacks. That workout is rewarded with sweeping views of the canyon and the Monarch Divide to the north. You also pass thru a wide extent of forest that was burned in 2015. Our Labor Day weekend hike took 3 hours and we saw only 1 other hiker (heading down as we ascended) the entire time.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Steep climb on a well maintained trail. Not too many big steps or rocks to deal with for most of the length of the trail. I agree with other reviews that this trail is not "easy" due to the steep climb over a short distance and the exposure to the sun for the entire length of the trail. Beautiful views of the valley, peaks, and varying vegetation along most of the trail length. Well worth the hard work needed to reach the overlook point. I went at sunset and the colors were amazing in all directions. If you do this, each person in your party should take a headlamp, which you will definitely need during the descent.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

ver y good experience, i love the view.. forma me was very hard , not easy..

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Loved it. Pack plenty of water! Drink an IPA after this hike to accent the experience.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

[Note: I do not know why this site says located in "Dunlap." This hike is in the heart of Kings Canyon, in Cedar Grove] If you want to enjoy spectacular views of the canyon, take this hike! However, it's gonna cost you .... in calories burned, sweat and aching leg muscles! .... but that is the fun of it! The hike starts near Hotel Creek, but quickly veers away from it. You will not see water the rest of the way. At that point, get ready for a strenuous 1,300 foot climb using switchbacks. You'll be going through pines and brush (and lots of sun, if you don't leave early enough in the morning). Suggestion: leave early in the morning! Once you get to the top, it's flat (and easy) for a half mile or so to the "look out point." Spectacular back country and canyon views await you! Have your lunch and relax and take in the views. There are some great rocks, trees and shade to hang out on. When I went in early June, I only ran into one person and so had the viewing area all to myself. Make sure to take the loop trail and come down on the other side. I rate the views trail area at the top, a 5 Star, and the hike coming up and going down a 3, so I averaged it to a 4.

Friday, August 10, 2018