Hosp Grove Trail

Hosp Grove Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Carlsbad, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I love taking my 2yr old here. Its always shaded by the huge trees and always so peaceful. It's fairly easy until the steep incline/decline.

I’ve always found this to be a rather enjoyable hike. One unlike many in the area, it has bountiful trees and logs along the path to sit and enjoy the area. Dog friendly which I’ve never run into issues with. And if you’re lucky you’ll come across a few swings people put up. Try them out!! Always such a fun time.

Nice, quick walk

AllTrails rates this as easy: I disagree. I hiked 2.2 miles of the west Hosp Grove today, and the trailhead signs and free trail map all indicate the hiking trail is “moderate to difficult”. Most of the trails are rather narrow and uneven with quite a few steeper switchbacks. It was quite pretty today, especially after recent rains. Despite seeing houses and the mall, it was an enjoyable hike.

It’s ok

The dogs and I had some time to kill one morning and decided to check out this area. There were many trails to choose from and we got in a couple of miles. I second the little bluff in the southeast corner as being a highlight of the trip.
I got the feeling that many treat leashes as optional in this area, which is difficult with the terrain as you may come upon an unleashed dog unexpectedly. If we found ourselves in the area again with time to kill I’d probably stop by, but wouldn’t make a special trip.

Good trails, up and down climbs, good for the legs

As this was my first hike ever “easy” lol ok I’m not used to uphill downhill so it was difficult. We also took our pups and we had to carry them for a bit due to broken glass ...

Friday, June 23, 2017

This is a sneaky local trail I like to fit in when time is tight or want to add on some cardio to a workout. Its more of a glorified walk but it's locality is awesome.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

This is a great hiking spot for families. We took our two year old and he did great! He was on foot for half of it and in the hiking backpack for the other half. Very safe and possibly even good for our double BOB stroller. We didn't bring it but we plan to next time.
The playground and nearby restaurants were added benefits!
Parking was free

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Close to home

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Really beautiful with all the flowers blooming right now and not many people. I actually didn't see one person on the actual hike. It's an easy hike to go see some beautiful views and nature. Don't forget the $3 parking fee.

Monday, February 27, 2017

Neat area but a little confusing figuring out where you can go. Eucalyptus trees make for nice trail cover. Nice quick hike.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Nice little Sunday morning hike ...

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Good trail for beginners. The hills get your heart rate going. Decent workout. However, it is right next to a busy road and for parts you are looking at the road, a mall, or people's backyards. Also, the trail is not clearly marked. Strayed off-trail a few times, but it was pretty easy to find my way back.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

Didn't love this trail. Many trees are cut down and views are of the major shopping centers and streets.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Its more of a backyard made kids playground. Not for me but very relaxing.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Nice leisure walk..there's a couple hills to elevate ur heart rate but it's great for a local workout on days you feel like skipping the gym or you want to start off your day with somethings not to intense and out of the gym. My go to spot

Monday, February 22, 2016

Nice short/quick workout - shaded & cool. This is a good lunchtime or after-work walk.

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Pocket hiking park - too much traffic noise. Nice if you live here.

Thursday, December 03, 2015

it's a super chill walk but it's super urban. you can hear and see cars the whole time. I will say it's a cool place to walk your dog or run a couple laps if you are not in to the beach.

Saturday, August 23, 2014

I have hiked the trails in this grove several times in the last 5 years, most recently this month. I was there finding geocaches, but most people are getting their cardio workout on the slopes or walking dogs. Some of them even clean up after their dog. In the southeast corner there is a neat little bluff next to the houses that looks like one of the sandstone bluffs in Utah.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

hosp grove is one of my favorites in north county for walking the dog. i usually go to the side adjacent to the freeway. the eucalpytus trees provide cooling shade -- perfect during hot weather. blooming nasturtiums in the spring make for pleasant view. depending on the time of day you go, it's uncrowded and you'll see another person only a few times. scenery is lush and serene, if you ignore that looming mall.

Monday, November 11, 2013

There are two there's an East Trail that's a mile and a half also

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Absolutely feel like a mountain goat

Friday, May 11, 2012

This is a classic Carlsbad trail. Nice place to go for a walk on a hot day since it is covered by a large grove of trees. Nothing really to see except for the mall from the top. But it is an easy place to take the dog for a walk, and the clouds are not that bad. This trail crosses the road, so do both sides if you want to extend your walk.