Horse Camp Trail

Horse Camp Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Shasta, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

So a disclaimer for this review: I am aware that I'm a amateur hiker and only do about 4-5 hikes a year. I also am one of those hikers on here that when I pick a hike and it shows me the full trail, I'm gonna want to do it all. And I'm a naïve hiker and not great at reading the trail maps.
But from my understanding of the description, this was a good day hike that was fairly easy. I thought it just stayed on the east base of the mountain and we'd get pretty close. It wasn't until after we went further than the horse camp that I realized this hike was taking us to the summit.
There were about fifty signs that it did, but for some reason, as I said, as a naïve hiker, I didn't think it would take us all the way up.
This mountain might be an easy mountain to climb. However, when I find an easy hike, I don't think it's gonna include climbing a mountain.
This trail should be just up to the horse camp that ends at the actual camp. And not include the summit trail.
Hopefully naïve hikers from out of town, who aren't prepared to hike a mountain, won't do the same thing as I did.

Went up in mid-June to do the only stretch of trail dogs are allowed (the first part up to the house where Sierra Club land begins)... it was 103 in Redding so we needed the getaway! The snow was so deep that the small dog struggled... but it was well travelled and safe. Met many different levels of hikers and Alpine Trekkers... completely worth the short drive... though in the heavy snowpack of 2017 I will be better prepared for the snow of heading up again in the next month.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Fantastic views!

Sunday, January 03, 2016

We just did this trail in snow shoes and it was amazing... Well worth the effort. We went up early and had the lodge to ourselves, had lunch, relaxed and enjoyed the solitude and grand views. It was so lovely to see snow on the Mountain again!

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Monday, May 19, 2014

Take care to check weather for proper clothing and shoes before hiking - also base camp for climbing of Mt Shasta. The views were amazing and the caretaker was very welcoming.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Nice, short hike, though the elevation can get to you if you aren't acclimatized.

Friday, July 26, 2013

Fun day hike. Took my 8 & 5 year old and they had no problems. Was a busy trail and we went on a weekday. Will hike again.

Saturday, November 05, 2011