Hornbeck Trail and Lower Sacramento Ditch Trail

Hornbeck Trail and Lower Sacramento Ditch Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Redding, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 324 feet Route Type: Loop

rails trails

Follow part of the path of the "Old Diggings" or Quartz Hill Railroad. The long abandoned narrow gauge railroad was a critical feature that once supplied quartz to area copper smelters. Traverse the many cuts through bedrock where a steam engine once ran. Look for signs of historic residences that housed local workers employed in mining. Don't let your explorations limit your enjoyment of the many vistas of Keswick Reservoir and seasonal wildflower displays.

I go out here all the time with my Border Collie Seymour. We hit this trail on all sides sometimes starting at Quartz Hill, other times starting at Walker Mine. I love hanging out at the waterfall area when it's flowing. It's such a calming sound with a beautiful view of the reservoir. Hornbeck goes to Walker Mine Road and right before you get to Walker mine Rd you will bass Frida's Overlook which gives you an incredible view of the reservoir as well. You can park at Walker Mine Rd and go back on the trail if you don't want to do a full loop (although I may be talking about different parts of the trail). Also off Walker Mine road and visible from Frida's Overlook is a picnic area right on the water (if you look down to the right from the overlook bench). On walker mine road there is a gate that says private property. But if you walk down to the bottom there is a sign that says while it's private property if you follow the posted rules (obvious stuff like no litter etc) then it is open to the public. It has a grill and everything down there. From Walker Mine Rd you can also take a different trail (also BLM land so leash free) that goes all the way to Shasta Dam where you can also park & take the trail backwards.

Great place to grab the dog and/or kids and enjoy nature. In April, there are still little creeks running and you can see snow on the mountains. Wonderful place to walk or bike for sure.

My dog and I out for a Sunday hike, great trail, well marked and maintained, definitely do it again..

Super well marked, especially considering the fires of last summer.

Murphy and Billy visited the vet today for shots so I kept it to only about three miles on the Quartz Hill side. Mother Nature has sure dropped some trees in the winter storm but what we saw was clear and safe.

Fun trail. There’s lots of shade for most of the walk. The first portion of the walk is mostly forested, followed by views of the Shasta trinity alps.

Beautiful day for a leisurely hike.

My favorite trail for a morning run.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Well maintained trail. I took some of the offshoot trails and seen a beautiful lake and some history along the way. I would recommend this trail to be added to any hikers to do list.

Monday, May 07, 2018

A nice trail, peaceful hike, lots of mosquitoes, good weather, went down to the water (lots of spiders going down) let my dog off the leash, came back home feeling tired but refreshed

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Very beautiful trail, loads of different paths you can take, but marked well.

Sunday, February 25, 2018

A scenic moderately difficult trail. It’s definitely more single than double track if plan on going with friends. Not really kid friendly.

Thursday, February 08, 2018

I appreciate any Trail for what it is and what it provides for the community and tourists alike. I took this Trail and Mountain biked the whole thing I love the many changes in grade; and the many different scenerys it has lots of different pockets of little areas some nice and full of shade and others with a beautiful view and full sun.

Monday, September 25, 2017

Nice trail and signage. The views were a little above average.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

June 2017 Well traveled very easy walking trail. Not many views of the Sacramento River though. Pretty dull trail with no great views. We went off trail to get to the river and cool off in the water due to hot temperatures (104). Great if you're in the mood for a nice walk, I don't recommend it if you are looking to hike and see good views. Also not recommended in Redding summer heat over 100.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Only did a very small stretch of this trail with my dog but the condition of the trails here are excellent. While mountain biking is king, hikers are treated well and it is always gracious on these trails. My dog enjoyed it as always.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Ample parking and well marked trailheads. Nice and quiet, a little muddy in places this time of year but mostly shaded and great for trail running! My dog loved it as well, it was a fun run and had multiple water accesses. Mosquitos are abundant because of standing water in some places, so move quickly or wear bug spray, and run with your mouth closed. Ha! https://mrsstrube.wordpress.com/2017/08/16/ready-to-run/

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Quiet and well maintained trail

Saturday, February 18, 2017

The trail is well maintained and I thought it was a decent loop. It was defiantly further than what was posted. We started the loop up off of the mine road and when had completed the trail my GPS said it was 7.2 miles.

Monday, January 30, 2017

gorgeous trail, fairly easy

Friday, September 23, 2016

Pretty easy, good trail for beginning bike riders, or continue to Shasta Dam and back for an easy 26 miles

Friday, August 05, 2016

A few spots were pretty rocky, but overall really nice. A couple of moderate inclines but I would rate it on the easier side of moderate. Only 1 sign (that contained 3 different trails) was confusing but I'd definitely run it again.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Not much to see while hiking.

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

March 8, 2016. Just hiked this section along with the upper and lower Sacramento ditch portions of the trail. LOVED it so much! Very few people out today due to light sprinkling rain. Trail is pretty well marked with only a few confusing sections but we never had to back track. There is an outhouse at the Quart Hill trailhead but it is down the path a bit and not readily visible from parking. Lots of horse manure but we didn't see any. Concrete benches at periodic spots along the trail to eat lunch. This looks like a great bike trail as the path isn't too riddled with rocks and most of the bends aren't too sharp.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Nice out and back trail. River access at about 2.6 miles (starting at Quartz Hill Rd) Dogs allowed.

Saturday, July 04, 2015

I run this trail fairly often and I love it.